[Ext] Tab Utilities 1.5 - light but featureful

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
ithinc

Re: [Ext]Tab Utilities 0.8/Tab Utilities Lite 0.7 - more lite

Post by ithinc »

RNiK wrote:Just FYI, Tab Utilities heavily conflict with Tree Style Tab extension (see screnshot below).

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20091221 Firefox/3.5.7 - Tab Utilities 0.8.2 - Tree Style Tab 0.8.2009122501

Tree Style Tab 0.9.2010020502 has improved its compatibility with Tab Utilities.
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addons/versions/5890#version-0.9.2010020502
Post feature requests to http://tabutils.uservoice.com.
Post bug reports to https://github.com/ithinc/tabutils/issues.
roshambo

Re: [Ext]Tab Utilities 0.9.5/Tab Utilities Lite 0.9.5

Post by roshambo »

ithinc wrote:
roshambo wrote:Is it possible to automatically favicon a tab when it's opened?
If so. Is there any chance for an option to do this along with a status bar button to toggle?

Not planned yet. Auto-faviconize list? Auto-protect list? Auto-lock list? Auto-pin list? Auto new-tab and/or background or foreground list?

Personally I use favicon for reducing the space the tab takes up and sometimes have about 50 tabs open and I recognize the favicon for most sites I visit. Pin, lock, freeze, protect tabs I've only used on permanent tabs like google reader and gmail. Is there any reason someone would pin/freeze/protect/lock every tab they open?

roshambo wrote:Also is it possible to go to last selected tab if move right after close is selected and there isn't a tab to the right instead of moving to left/last tab?
Are you sure you need right first then last selected, not unread first then last selected?

I'll try to explain the situation as best I can through words. Lately I've been using the mouse wheel to switch tabs which works great and in general I'm used to up going to previous, down to next. To set this up I open new tabs to far right and close to right to move on to the next tab. Google reader is the first tab which is faviconed/locked, some things I open are videos that need to buffer for uninterrupted playback. The problem comes up when my last opened tab is a short article and when it's closed ideally want it go back to google reader instead of the last window opened which is usually a video that just started buffering. The only solution I could think of is moving to last selected if a right tab doesn't exist but I'm welcome to other suggestions.

Also thanks a lot for the outline tabs and keep up the great work!
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

roshambo wrote:Personally I use favicon for reducing the space the tab takes up and sometimes have about 50 tabs open and I recognize the favicon for most sites I visit. Pin, lock, freeze, protect tabs I've only used on permanent tabs like google reader and gmail. Is there any reason someone would pin/freeze/protect/lock every tab they open?

Oh, I see. You need a "Faviconize All(and all that will open)" feature. Some people request an auto-pin url list, or auto-lock url list, etc. To archive what you want, you may just set the tab min and max width both to 0px. Then what you need more is a button to switch tab min/max width between 0px and normal 100/250px. With help of the Custombuttons2 extension, it's quite easy to make one.

roshambo wrote:I'll try to explain the situation as best I can through words. Lately I've been using the mouse wheel to switch tabs which works great and in general I'm used to up going to previous, down to next. To set this up I open new tabs to far right and close to right to move on to the next tab. Google reader is the first tab which is faviconed/locked, some things I open are videos that need to buffer for uninterrupted playback. The problem comes up when my last opened tab is a short article and when it's closed ideally want it go back to google reader instead of the last window opened which is usually a video that just started buffering. The only solution I could think of is moving to last selected if a right tab doesn't exist but I'm welcome to other suggestions.

You may also set up close to unread to move on to the next tab. You must have not tried it.
roshambo

Post by roshambo »

ithinc wrote:
roshambo wrote:Personally I use favicon for reducing the space the tab takes up and sometimes have about 50 tabs open and I recognize the favicon for most sites I visit. Pin, lock, freeze, protect tabs I've only used on permanent tabs like google reader and gmail. Is there any reason someone would pin/freeze/protect/lock every tab they open?

Oh, I see. You need a "Faviconize All(and all that will open)" feature. Some people request an auto-pin url list, or auto-lock url list, etc. To archive what you want, you may just set the tab min and max width both to 0px. Then what you need more is a button to switch tab min/max width between 0px and normal 100/250px. With help of the Custombuttons2 extension, it's quite easy to make one.

Thanks for the suggestion but this breaks double-click to toggle favicon and I'd rather have that then clicking a status bar button to toggle to a tab.

roshambo wrote:I'll try to explain the situation as best I can through words. Lately I've been using the mouse wheel to switch tabs which works great and in general I'm used to up going to previous, down to next. To set this up I open new tabs to far right and close to right to move on to the next tab. Google reader is the first tab which is faviconed/locked, some things I open are videos that need to buffer for uninterrupted playback. The problem comes up when my last opened tab is a short article and when it's closed ideally want it go back to google reader instead of the last window opened which is usually a video that just started buffering. The only solution I could think of is moving to last selected if a right tab doesn't exist but I'm welcome to other suggestions.

You may also set up close to unread to move on to the next tab. You must have not tried it.

Not sure what you mean. 'Select adjacent unread tab' doesn't change the behavior in the second scenario (quick link and back to google reader). 'Select last selected tab' solves this but but messes up the first scenario (select right when closed). No other settings on the tab closing config would seem to have an effect, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?
ithinc

Re: [Ext]Tab Utilities 0.9.9/Lite 0.9.5 - light but featureful

Post by ithinc »

Why do you need to select right when closed? Because it is unread, right? So check both unread and last selected, when no unread tabs, it will return to the last selected tab.
roshambo

Post by roshambo »

Moving to right because it hasn't been looked at but it isn't 'unread' by tabutils. While I could get them 'unread' there's a few problems with it:
1. with focus new tabs typical pages load in 100-200ms which is rarely enough time to select another tab, favicon would be impossible
2. without focus new tab video won't load until tab is selected because of how firefox handles flash to reduce resources.
3. if all tabs are unread the problem still exists with the last tab going to the left instead of last selected because it's adjacent.

The option to select last selected tab if tab doesn't exist would fix all. Is it impossible or very tough to do?
RNiK

Re: [Ext]Tab Utilities 0.8/Tab Utilities Lite 0.7 - more lite

Post by RNiK »

ithinc wrote:
RNiK wrote:Just FYI, Tab Utilities heavily conflict with Tree Style Tab extension (see screnshot below).

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20091221 Firefox/3.5.7 - Tab Utilities 0.8.2 - Tree Style Tab 0.8.2009122501

Tree Style Tab 0.9.2010020502 has improved its compatibility with Tab Utilities.
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addons/versions/5890#version-0.9.2010020502

YEAH! I already knew it! GREAT! 8-)

By the way, do you know any other incompatibility between Tab Utilities and Tree Style Tabs? :?:
MondoWin ==> Italian site for information about MS Windows tweaking
neromadrid

Post by neromadrid »

I'm guessing that this latest version now uses CTRL <- and -> to navigate tabs.

Thing about this is in GMail, writing an email, I can no longer CTRL highlight text with the keyboard since it changes tabs. Is there a way to disable this?
neromadrid

Post by neromadrid »

Nevermind...I found it :)
RNiK

Post by RNiK »

I'm using Tab Utilities Lite and I got 2 questions:
1. Is there any way to have the "Close other tabs" context menu function?
2. Is there any way to get rid of the Status Bar buttons "Force to open all links in New Tabs" and "Force to open all tabs in Background"?

Thank you! :wink:
MondoWin ==> Italian site for information about MS Windows tweaking
neromadrid

Post by neromadrid »

Actually I've found some bothersome behaviour:

In the status bar of the browser 3 icons show up.

I've gone into Appearance --> Buttons and disabled all 3 a number of times. However, that setting resets to enabled each time I restart my browser.

I've repeated the error countless times now.
ithinc

Post by ithinc »

RNiK wrote:I'm using Tab Utilities Lite and I got 2 questions:
1. Is there any way to have the "Close other tabs" context menu function?
2. Is there any way to get rid of the Status Bar buttons "Force to open all links in New Tabs" and "Force to open all tabs in Background"?

extensions.tabutils.menu.closeOtherTabs
extensions.tabutils.hideOpenAllInTab
extensions.tabutils.hideLoadAllInBackground
Morgan B

Post by Morgan B »

Hi! Thanks for this wonderful extension!

I have a problem with the highlighting of unread tabs. When I restart Firefox all background tabs will be marked as unread. I would like all tabs to have the same state as before the restart: The ones which were unread should be marked as unread, and the read tabs should be marked as read.
cbray

Post by cbray »

A very useful enhancement (for me) would be to allow reuse of any tab currently set to the "home" page. Many times I fire up my browser and am shown the home page, and when I click on a bookmark would prefer for it to reuse the tab containing the home page rather than opening a new tab. This is basically the same as the reuse "blank" tabs feature, just extended to tabs currently containing the home page.

Thanks!
Chris
Cantello

Post by Cantello »

neromadrid wrote:Nevermind...I found it :)

Where did you find it? I have the same problem with CTRL-arrow in textarea fields.