importing Outlook express wab file to Thunderbird

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
kimig1

importing Outlook express wab file to Thunderbird

Post by kimig1 »

I have tried and tried to do this, and cannot. Please help - I have a LOT of vital addresses, and I really don't want to go to WL....
DanRaisch

Re: importing Outlook express wab file to Thunderbird

Post by DanRaisch »

Why would you go to WL when it is because of Microsoft and their proprietary file formats that you are having this problem?

See this link http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_from_Outlook_Express

Normally Thunderbird requires that OE or Outlook be the default email client on the computer on which the import is to take place.
Or do you have access to Outlook Express to be able to export the contact data to a file format other than .wab? Thunderbird can import CSV and LDIF file format.
kimig1

Post by kimig1 »

All I have left of outlook express is a .wab file. Is there any way of converting that to .csv?
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy kimig1,

you might wanna try this ...
http://mysite.verizon.net/zakharin/soft ... tures.html

the program is not supported anymore, but it IS free and i used it a few times way back when.

take care,
lee
leonardo07746

Post by leonardo07746 »

DanRaisch wrote:Why would you go to WL when it is because of Microsoft and their proprietary file formats that you are having this problem?

See this link http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_from_Outlook_Express

Normally Thunderbird requires that OE or Outlook be the default email client on the computer on which the import is to take place.
Or do you have access to Outlook Express to be able to export the contact data to a file format other than .wab? Thunderbird can import CSV and LDIF file format.

PErmission to meddle, :mrgreen: I' ve installed Window 7 in my computer and previoulsy to that, I 've saved all my contacts as cvs.file and my outlook express's email in dbx file into a folder, my contacts are my first priority so they are more important than the email's file and therefore, I assume that by DanRaish's comments I only need to import the csv into Thunderbird and nothin else, Is that right??

:2gunfire: Peace.

Saludos.Greetings
les escribo desde Cuba.
me from Cuba
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Eso es correcto.

To ensure the import goes well, manually create at least one record in Thunderbird's Personal Address Book (PAB) and then export that data. (Click on the name of the PAB in the left hand pane of the address book window, then use menu path Tools->Export->Address Books->give the output a name and select "save as type" Comma Separated (CSV).)

Load the exported Thunderbird data into a spreadsheet like OpenOffice Calc or Excel and do the same with the data file from which you previously exported from OE. If necessary, reorder the columns in the file from which you intend to import so that it matches the order of those in the export from Thunderbird. Save the data back to CSV format and import that to Thunderbird.

A new address book will be created in Thunderbird by the import process. If you want to consolidate all addresses in the PAB, you can move or copy the data from the latest import to the Personal Address Book by using Drag-and-Drop and then delete the imported address book (after ensuring that all data is in the PAB).
leonardo07746

Post by leonardo07746 »

DanRaisch wrote:Eso es correcto.

To ensure the import goes well, manually create at least one record in Thunderbird's Personal Address Book (PAB) and then export that data. (Click on the name of the PAB in the left hand pane of the address book window, then use menu path Tools->Export->Address Books->give the output a name and select "save as type" Comma Separated (CSV).)

Load the exported Thunderbird data into a spreadsheet like OpenOffice Calc or Excel and do the same with the data file from which you previously exported from OE. If necessary, reorder the columns in the file from which you intend to import so that it matches the order of those in the export from Thunderbird. Save the data back to CSV format and import that to Thunderbird.

A new address book will be created in Thunderbird by the import process. If you want to consolidate all addresses in the PAB, you can move or copy the data from the latest import to the Personal Address Book by using Drag-and-Drop and then delete the imported address book (after ensuring that all data is in the PAB).

HEy =D> , good spanish and good advice, thanks Dan, I 'm following your steps already.

:2gunfire: Peace

Saludos.Greetings
les escribo desde Cuba.
me from Cuba
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome. Saludos, leonardo.
Pedalpower

Post by Pedalpower »

Dan, thanks to your old post, I was able to get my cvs address book into Thunderbird. Exporting a sample Thunderbird address book to Excel, pasting my address book into the spreadsheet while reformatting it to fit the columns, and then saving the new address book in cvs worked. Thanks so much!

Pedalpower
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.

Locking due to the age of the original posts.