Allow only one instance of Firefox?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
winterforge

Allow only one instance of Firefox?

Post by winterforge »

I have a keyboard with a "My Home" button on it that I press to open Firefox and go to my homepage. In the old versions of FF I could press that again even after it was open and it would just open a new tab with my homepage again. In the latest 0.10.1 versions when I press that button it is now opening a whole new window with an entirely new instance of FF. Is there a way to allow only one instance of Firefox at a time so if I were to press that button or double click the Firefox.exe it would open a new tab again and not open a totally new instance? Thanks much.
My Yute

Post by My Yute »

Try setting the preference in advanced->options that all new windows open in a new tab?
winterforge

Post by winterforge »

Tried it, doesn't work. I even have the Single Window extension installed and it still doesn't work. Even in Gmail when I click a link in an e-mail there it ALWAYS opens a new window, never just a new tab. Pretty frustrating...

I have the Tabbrowser Preferences extension
I have the Single Window extension
I have my settings in the Firefox options to always open a new tab instead of a new window

Yet with all this, Firefox still opens new windows quite a bit :-(
Roy Slade

Post by Roy Slade »

I have the same problem. When I hit one of the shortcut keys it brings up the existing browser. Is there a parameter I can enter to bring up a new browser or tab?
winterforge

Post by winterforge »

Heck, I wish mine would even bring up the same browser...mine opens up a new instance all together. Looks like we want what each other has lol. How could ours be so different, are you using 0.10.1?
The PC Nerd

Post by The PC Nerd »

I think we just need _blank and other target overrides here.

THat would be really useful.
Roy Slade

Post by Roy Slade »

I'm using 0.10.1 and the button that should start a new browser just brings up the one that's open if it's minimized. It minimizes it if it's the current screen.
guiro_boy

Post by guiro_boy »

I'm using the latest MOOX branch build (20041014), and clicking on my either my desktop or quicklaunch icons always opens up a new instance/window of Firefox. The fact that I have my tab browsing options set to only use a single window does not seem to have any effect on this.

Are there no settings that can be tweaked to have Firefox only allow one instance of itself under any circumstances? I think ideally it'd be nice to have it bring the window to the foreground (if minimized), or open a new tab (if already maximized).
winterforge

Post by winterforge »

guiro_boy wrote:I'm using the latest MOOX branch build (20041014), and clicking on my either my desktop or quicklaunch icons always opens up a new instance/window of Firefox. The fact that I have my tab browsing options set to only use a single window does not seem to have any effect on this.

Are there no settings that can be tweaked to have Firefox only allow one instance of itself under any circumstances? I think ideally it'd be nice to have it bring the window to the foreground (if minimized), or open a new tab (if already maximized).

THAT would be an AWESOME feature. I couldn't agree more.
jne_

Post by jne_ »

FF set as default browser
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20041001 Firefox/0.10.1
single window 1.4 with enable sw mode, open ext. links.. and open links with invalid.. selected

when i quicklaunch, use dt s.cut a new tab is created.
links clicked on outlook do open a new window.
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

You all make me wonder: what did I do right ;) ?

Even when I click on a link in OE, it opens a new tab in FF (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20041001 Firefox/0.10.1)

Ah, there it is.

Tools -> Extensions -> Tabbrowser Preferences -> Options -> Links

[...]
_External_
Load links in: [ New Tab |v]
[...]

(N.B. a roll-down list)
Best regards,
Tony
My Left Hand

Post by My Left Hand »

winterforge wrote:
guiro_boy wrote:I'm using the latest MOOX branch build (20041014), and clicking on my either my desktop or quicklaunch icons always opens up a new instance/window of Firefox. The fact that I have my tab browsing options set to only use a single window does not seem to have any effect on this.

THAT would be an AWESOME feature. I couldn't agree more.

i agree, it's a feature i'd love as well.
as it is now, the "my home" button on my logitech keyboard launches a new firefox window.
at least it's not a new instance :)
marinette-et-riton

Re: Allow only one instance of Firefox?

Post by marinette-et-riton »

Hi,
This post is quite old but since still referenced on the search engines, I hope my answer will help anyway.

So, I finally got rid of the unwanted second session with its whole lot of annoyances:

I created a batch file, which path\name is called by the Firefox icon instead of Firefox.exe.
Its contents are (at least this worked for Windows 7):

@echo off
tasklist | findstr "firefox.exe"
cls
echo.
if %errorlevel% equ 0 goto running
if %errorlevel% equ 1 start " " "D:\My_Portable_Progs\!_applications_!\!Internet\Firefox\firefox.exe"
echo OK, I gonna do that !
echo.
@pause
exit

:running
echo "! ! ! FIREFOX is Already Running ! ! !""
echo.
@pause

I'm not sure that "exit" is needed after the first "pause" instruction. I'm too lazy to search about ;)

Enjoy.
LIMPET235

Re: Allow only one instance of Firefox?

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
I really, really doubt that anyone is still interested in this very old thread...but thanks anyway.

H$&@....it's 12 years old.

Locking.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)