Persona Problem

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
BillMullin

Persona Problem

Post by BillMullin »

The persona page:

http://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/

worked great (passing the cursor over the persona displayed it in Firefox) on both of my PC's a few months ago. But now on one of the PC's, passing the cursor over the persona does not cause the graphic to appear on FF. When the problem first occurred, I had been about a month between checking out personas, so it's not possible for me to isolate any particular incident which might have caused the problem.

Both PC's are running FF 3.6. The problem PC is a new Dell XPS running Windows 7 (64-bit). The PC which is still displaying personas properly is an older Dell XPS running Vista (32-bit). Both operating systems are current with downloads offered on the Windows Update page.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Bill
smsmith

Re: Persona Problem

Post by smsmith »

Look at Tools -> Options -> Security. Make sure the checkbox for "Warm me when sites try to install add-ons" is checked. Then, click the Exceptions button to the left of that checkbox and make sure that getpersonas.com is listed. If it isn't, type that into the box and press the Allow button. Then OK out of all the Options dialogs and reload the getpersonas site. Then try a persona.

You can also right click the page and choose View Page Info. Click the Permissions tab and check the button to Allow for Install Extensions and Themes.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
BillMullin

Post by BillMullin »

smsmith wrote:Look at Tools -> Options -> Security. Make sure the checkbox for "Warm me when sites try to install add-ons" is checked. Then, click the Exceptions button to the left of that checkbox and make sure that getpersonas.com is listed. If it isn't, type that into the box and press the Allow button. Then OK out of all the Options dialogs and reload the getpersonas site. Then try a persona.

You can also right click the page and choose View Page Info. Click the Permissions tab and check the button to Allow for Install Extensions and Themes.

That worked perfectly . . . thanks!

- Bill
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

No problem! :D
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
BillMullin

Post by BillMullin »

smsmith wrote:Look at Tools -> Options -> Security. Make sure the checkbox for "Warm me when sites try to install add-ons" is checked. Then, click the Exceptions button to the left of that checkbox and make sure that getpersonas.com is listed. If it isn't, type that into the box and press the Allow button. Then OK out of all the Options dialogs and reload the getpersonas site. Then try a persona.

Oops, it just stopped working. I checked Tools -> Options -> Security and getpersonas.com is still listed. So then I checked View Page Info for the GetPersonnas page and saw that it had reset itself to "Default". I unchecked Default, clicked the radio button for Allow, and the personnas worked again. So I closed and re-opened FF - the GetPersonna page no longer worked. I checked Tools -> Options -> Security and getpersonas.com is still listed as before. So I checked View Page Info again for the GetPersonnas page and saw that it had again reset itself to "Default" and the Allow radio button was no longer checked.

How do I keep this from happening? :?:

Thanks, Bill
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Might be one of your extensions causing it. Try closing Firefox, restart in safe mode, enable the getpersonas page, close Firefox and the restart in safe mode and see if it still works.

This may not work, because persona installation may be disabled during safe mode. So, you could also try disabling all of your extensions and then restarting. Enable the personas site, close and restart and see if the site still works.

If it does, you'll need to enable your extensions one at a time, restart Firefox, and see when it stops working. The last extension you enable is probably the culprit.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_-_Firefox
BillMullin

Post by BillMullin »

smsmith wrote:Might be one of your extensions causing it. Try closing Firefox, restart in safe mode, enable the getpersonas page, close Firefox and the restart in safe mode and see if it still works.

I noticed that "addons.mozilla.org" and "update.mozilla.org" also disappear when I close FF, so this problem is more severe than I had previously thought.

In answer to your above quote, I disabled all extensions, enabled the getpersonas page, closed FF, then started it up again - the getpersonas page did not work.

So next I enabled all extensions, disabled all plugins, enabled the getpersonas page, closed FF, then started it up again - the getpersonas page still did not work. ](*,)

Next I enabled all the plugins, then went through all Options menu checking or unchecking any option that looked like it might affect my site settings. This did the trick! The item which caused the problem was: Tools | Options | Privacy | Settings | Site Preferences. When I cleared the checkmark from Site Preferences, the problem was resolved! :banana:

Thanks very much for the help!

- Bill
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

@BillMullin,

In addition to the Site Preferences setting you changed, there is another one in Tools | Clear Recent History. When the requester comes up, click on the Details chevron button, and you'll notice that Site Preferences is also there. Uncheck it also, so that if you use this menuitem it won't delete the sites again.

These two Site Preferences settings are what removes SpywareBlaster, SpyBot Search & Destroy and other immunizations from Firefox, and has been discussed in their respective forums.
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. - Albert Einstein
BillMullin

Post by BillMullin »

Gopher John wrote:@BillMullin,

In addition to the Site Preferences setting you changed, there is another one in Tools | Clear Recent History. When the requester comes up, click on the Details chevron button, and you'll notice that Site Preferences is also there. Uncheck it also, so that if you use this menu item it won't delete the sites again.

Done - thanks!
BillMullin

Post by BillMullin »

Is there a limit on the number of personas that one can save? I ask because I have 8 plus the default. When I add another, the first persona (alphabetically) goes away! This is definitely a trivial problem, so if there isn't an easy solution, I won't be going through any great effort to resolve the problem! :roll:

Thanks, Bill
gbic

Post by gbic »

I could fix my issue following the instructions in this post. Everything went fine for me.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

BillMullin wrote:Is there a limit on the number of personas that one can save? I ask because I have 8 plus the default. When I add another, the first persona (alphabetically) goes away! This is definitely a trivial problem, so if there isn't an easy solution, I won't be going through any great effort to resolve the problem! :roll:

Thanks, Bill

I believe that if you use Personas Plus you can have a list of all of your previously selected ones, but I'm not sure how many it stores, it might be limited as well.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/