Error when opening Firefox 3.6 in Windows XP

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Guesting

Error when opening Firefox 3.6 in Windows XP

Post by Guesting »

Couldn't find where on the site to report this, but I keep getting the following error when I try to open up Firefox, and it takes several minutes for it to open.

Script: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsBlocklistService.js:648

Just wanted to pass the information on so that maybe it could be fixed in a future release.
DanRaisch

Re: Error when opening Firefox 3.6 in Windows XP

Post by DanRaisch »

It might not be a problem with the application.

Are you running any script blocking extensions like AdBlock Plus or NoScript?
Have you tried starting Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

I guess it's possible that nsBlocklistService.js is corrupted. The one in my install shows

File: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\components\nsBlocklistService.js
Size: 33810 bytes
Modified: Thursday, January 21, 2010, 12:42:34 PM
MD5: 9527EBD30096FD3C7ABA096AC813128D
SHA1: ACCF5B123BCCB2BD2C82C70C88B13F73AD5FC4CE
CRC32: 56BBB7AE
and it hasn't been modified since updating to Firefox 3.6. I'm not sure what would modify it other than a program update. Use something like Robin Keir's Hash to check your nsBlocklistService.js against what I posted. http://keir.net/hash.html

FWIW, I am using AdBlock Plus and NoScript and am not getting this error. You could try starting Firefox in Safe Mode to see if you have problems without any extensions. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. - Albert Einstein
Guesting

Post by Guesting »

FWIW, here is the full text on the error message I get:

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsBlocklistService.js:648

I'm using the default settings, and am not running any script blockers that I know of. I haven't tried safe mode yet.

Thanks for the responses.

Post by Guest »

Been having problems launching Firefox for weeks now. I've uninstalled and reistalled it. I've created a new profile but did transfer files as shown on this website. Every time I attempt a "fix", it will work for a while, get slower and slower to load and then just refuse to load. I can see a pop up window trying to load but mostly that disappears. According to Windows Task Manager, Firefox is not running but I have to reboot to download a new copy of Firefox because it tells me it is running. This morning, I got this error message: "Script: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsBlocklistService.js:648"

Can't start in safe mode because there no such .exe file in my Firefox folder.

I adore Firefox and hate IE but this is driving me crazy. Any more ideas or suggestions? ** e-mail address removed by moderator **

I removed your e-mail address because we do not give email support. To do so would deprive other users of the information offered in a response to your topic. More importantly, spammers harvest email addresses from public forums like this. faq.php?mode=rules#f44 -- Daifne

Post by Guest »

PS. I'm not the same person who posted a few days ago but sure looks like I'm having the same problems...
PJ
guest XP user

Post by guest XP user »

I have just upgraded to FF3.6 and I am having a similar problem.
Error
cancel or continue

I need to cancel a few times and cancel a second script but the browser finally comes up.
I am using windows XP.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Has anyone tried Safe mode as suggested above?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

Post by Guest »

I'd LOVE to try Safe Mode. Can you tell me where I can get the .exe program to do it since it isn't in my programs folder/didn't download with Firefox?

And I don't know what this blocklist does or whether it is an inherent part of Firefox but removing it from the component file made my Firefox instantly functional. Of course, I'm wondering what kind of a risk I've created by removing it but my options kind of SUCK right now so I decided to try it.

PJ

Post by Guest »

Hm, I just realized that the AVG toolbar isn't showing in Firefox but still appears in IE since I've removed this blocklist file from my Firefox components subfile. When I run a google search, no little green AVG icons. I'm guessing that's what this blocklist does and I have Norton too so I can live without that part of AVG if it will let me have my Firefox!
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

In Windows XP

Start - All Programs - Mozilla Firefox - Mozilla Firefox (Safe mode)

And you should never try to run two Anti Virus programs at once. You get all sorts of problems :shock:
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

Post by Guest »

"And you should never try to run two Anti Virus programs at once. You get all sorts of problems"
Yeah, I know but I have yet to find a single one that REALLY works - free, paid, or very expensive. I've lost 2 laptops in under 2 months to munching Trojans. The first one was buried in an electronic greeting card and I still can't figure out how the same Trojan got onto the second laptop.

Thanks for the Safe Mode instructions. Why does it have to be different for different systems? Oh, well :)

I miss my MacSE, System 6. Problem? Reboot. All better. I think I'm gettin' old...
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

The reason to not run two antivirus programs resident at once is that neither can do their job. You are actually reducing your protection due to conflicts between the two when they try to scan the same thing.
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. - Albert Einstein
mcruzzer

Post by mcruzzer »

I was having the same problem. I removed nsBlocklist.js from the Firefox directory and now my Firefox runs fast again! So...any response from the Mozilla team? Is there an issue with this script? Is there some issue with the Java environment? Something else? Whatever, I'm not going to put this script file back in for execution unless someone can give me a good reason why it should be there.
bobyak

Post by bobyak »

nsBlockListService has a purpose, one of which is to try and protect users from mal-intended or poorly written Add-ons by disabling them. Removing the script to get rid of the error may cause worse unintended consequences. There must be a Mozzilla bug when this script tries to block a taboo plugin where Mozilla isn't handling unexpected information from the plug in well.

I was able to clear the errors by going to this page: https://www.mozilla.com/en-US/blocklist/ and then going to Tools->Add-ons->Plugins and manually disabling items on the blocklist at that URL. It may take longer, but I suggest disabling one at a time and restarting. For me it was disabling an older version of Yahoo Application State Plugin. Now, I have no errors and other "bad" plug-ins will still be blocked by the script.