Mozilla (Fan|Newbie|Enthusiast|...)

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
Tony

Mozilla (Fan|Newbie|Enthusiast|...)

Post by Tony »

Under the author name (see left) the new forums show the type of Mozilla user who has posted the message. How is this decided? It shows me as a Mozilla Newbie although I've been using Mozilla for about 3 years.

I'd much rather be a Mozilla Enthusiast but can't figure out where to change it (perhaps that is what makes me a newbie :-) )

Tony.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

It depends on how many posts you've made.
Tony

Post by Tony »

[quote="Stefan"]It depends on how many posts you've made.[/quote]

In that case, I had better say
"thank you for the quick answer" to increase my number of posts by 50%

Tony.
nicubunu

Post by nicubunu »

Is not more accurate Mozilla<b>Zine</b> (Fan|Newbie|Enthusiast|...) ?
Tony

Post by Tony »

I agree. It probably should be Mozillazine but it says Mozilla.

I've only been using Mozillazine for a bit longer than a year, Mozilla for about three years and computers for far too long (>30).

Tony.
Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

Re: Mozilla (Fan|Newbie|Enthusiast|...)

Post by Alex Bishop »

Tony wrote:Under the author name (see left) the new forums show the type of Mozilla user who has posted the message. How is this decided?

0-4 posts — Mozilla Newbie
5-9 posts — Mozilla Fan
10-19 posts — Mozilla Enthusiast
20-49 posts — Mozilla Fanatic

... and I don't think anyone's got higher than that, so you can find out the rest for yourself. :-)
Alex
tny

Only problem with that . . .

Post by tny »

Is that AlexH will be a Mozilla Fanatic by lunch time, while those of us who've been using Mozilla since the single-digit milestones (the first Mozilla I used was M7 I think, before Mozilla was really Mozilla) may remaine Mozilla Newbies for quite some time ;-) Not complaining, just find the idea rather funny.
MXN

My Attempt to be a Non-Newbie

Post by MXN »

tny wrote:and I don't think anyone's got higher than that, so you can find out the rest for yourself. :-)

Actually, I just saw a "Mozilla addict" somewhere.
tmb

Post by tmb »

Don't you think that this will cause unneeded posting?
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

tmb wrote:Don't you think that this will cause unneeded posting?

Only among people that think that the ammount of posts in any way reflect on the content on the post. :)
tmb

Post by tmb »

True, very true
Last edited by tmb on December 11th, 2014, 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
asa

Re: Only problem with that . . .

Post by asa »

tny wrote:Is that AlexH will be a Mozilla Fanatic by lunch time, while those of us who've been using Mozilla since the single-digit milestones (the first Mozilla I used was M7 I think, before Mozilla was really Mozilla) may remaine Mozilla Newbies for quite some time ;-) Not complaining, just find the idea rather funny.

Well, M7, relatively speaking, isn't really that far back. There are quite a few of us (even excluding original developers) posting at mozillaZine that were using Mozilla before there were any such thing as nightly or Milestone builds.

And M7 was very much Mozilla. That was summer of '99 and we had been nearly a year of development under the "new roadmap", using nglayout (gecko), the XPFE, XPCOM and XP Connect, etc. We had mail and news running mostly well on the three major platforms. We even had sidebar with customizable panels! ;-) M7 definitely shares more in common with today's Mozilla than M7 shares with Mozilla from the summer before and the old codebase.

As a matter of fact, Jason Kersey (kerz) who manages this site and these forums used to operate a website that pointed to the latest available builds that folks would occasionally compile and post back in the Mozilla classic codebase days. Some of us posting in these forums used to test builds even before kerz's site, MozBin, came into existance (which eventually combined with mozillaZine). I remember when we used to chase after builds at random ftp sites (remember Mike Wynholds and his builds?)

--Asa

ps. I'm just being silly. m7 was a long time ago and if you've been active in the mozilla community since then I understand your finding it curious that the forum would label you as a newbie. post a while. you'll be a fanatic soon :)
tve

Post by tve »

thats post ranks, stuff that you find on every forum, it doesnt reflect anything, only how active you are in the forums, should not to be taken too serious ;)

and if you are really a Mozilla Fanatic, it shouldnt take too long until it's displayed under your username anyway :P
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

LOL I assume there is a new level at about 100 posts
Mozilla Cr.... Oh forget it.

Guess that measn it's time for me to leave this forum and get a life :D
djst

Re: Mozilla (Fan|Newbie|Enthusiast|...)

Post by djst »

Alex Bishop wrote:
Tony wrote:Under the author name (see left) the new forums show the type of Mozilla user who has posted the message. How is this decided?

0-4 posts — Mozilla Newbie
5-9 posts — Mozilla Fan
10-19 posts — Mozilla Enthusiast
20-49 posts — Mozilla Fanatic

... and I don't think anyone's got higher than that, so you can find out the rest for yourself. :-)

I feel like a looser, because I'm now known as a "Mozilla Cr.... Oh forget it.". Can you please let me change this to something more meaningful? "Phoenix QA" would feel much better.