When I click links that should open a new tab: no response.

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
StepBack13

When I click links that should open a new tab: no response.

Post by StepBack13 »

Example:
If I tried to click on this link: http://isohunt.com/img/legal/Fung%20Inj%20Opp&Dec-FINALSTAMPED-noexhibits.pdf
which is currently linked on the homepage for isohunt.com, I would find no response.

Double and triple clicking do nothing.
If I do a ctrl+click, then I can access it and it comes up in a new tab. If I do right-click-> open link in new tab, then it works as well.

The point is, I shouldn't have to and it bugs me that this happens.

I've checked the relevant settings in about:config, browser.link.open_newwindow=3 and browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction=2 which are both default for my firefox and correspond to what I want to happen.

If I right-click on the link and check properties it says "Will open in: New Tab".

I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 on an Acer Aspire 5920G notebook. My Firefox is 3.5.8 Mozilla Firefox for Ubuntu canonical - 1.0
(Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.8) Gecko/20100214 Ubuntu/9.10 (karmic) Firefox/3.5.8)

I feel like this issue started around a few weeks ago, and that originally I had firefox on Ubuntu without this problem, so it might have been after a particular upgrade that I experienced this.

Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?
BruceAWittmeier

Re: When I click links that should open a new tab: no response.

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

It is a PDF (Adobe) file not an html. Opens fine here.

Are you using Tab Mix Plus?

Check your configuration settings for actions to take on a pdf file. Possibly being downloaded?

Click Tools/Options/Applications and see what is indicates for adobe files.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
StepBack13

Post by StepBack13 »

Bad example.

It happens for all links though. e.g. http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Citadel:_The_Fan

I don't use Tab Mix Plus.
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

That link works fine too.

Try a clean profile or run Firefox in safe mode.

Either:

Start/Run and enter Firefox -p and select or create a new profile

Start/Run and enter Firefox -safe-mode

Safe mode starts FF without any extensions or addons.

Click any link in a page and see what happens. You can still configure thru the Tools/Optons/Tabs to operate the same way as your normal preferred login.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
StepBack13

Post by StepBack13 »

Yes, it's not an issue with the links. It's definitely a mozilla issue or an ubuntu/mozilla compatibility issue, because when I click on the same links in Midori they open fine, and in a new tab.

I tried the new profile solution and the safe mode solution, both were fruitless. Clicking links still gives no response.
StepBack13

Post by StepBack13 »

B.U.M.P.

Has no one else got this problem?
Maybe a reinstallation is necessary?
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy StepBack13,

- reinstall seems a good step at this point.
you could also backup your profile and then wipe the old one, but you've apparently demonstrated that the profile is not likely to be part of the problem.

- have you tried updating to ff36?

- have you tried other settings for "browser.link.open_newwindow"?

your prob seems quite odd, to me. i can't think of anything that would cause it NOT to work in a new profile. sorry for the lack of ideas ... [*sigh ...*]

take care,
lee