[Ext] OpenDownload² 4.2.0

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
m4dbra1n

Re: [Ext] OpenDownload 2.1.3

Post by m4dbra1n »

I'm joking tuxman :D

Just gave it a look and see if it works well before release ;)

Bye!
dauge

Post by dauge »

I use Orbit Downloader for my downloads. The original version of OpenDowload 1.0 used to show Orbit as one of the choices, along with run, etc.

OpenDownload 2.1.3 does not show Orbit as a choice, ever. Could this be fixed because sometimes I want to use open in default application but sometimes I want to let Orbit manage the download.

thx
Tuxman

Post by Tuxman »

This is not OpenDownload's purpose. Use FlashGot for that. :)
dauge

Post by dauge »

Why did this option disappear when you took over OpenDownload. It's a good feature allowing for much greater flexibility.
Tuxman

Post by Tuxman »

It was never in.
Tuxman

Re: [Ext] OpenDownload 2.1.4

Post by Tuxman »

v2.1.4 released. No new bugs to fix, so I decided to add it-IT and the updated es-ES locales. Nothing else.
AMO will be updated, too.
SkH

Post by SkH »

Hello, it's great someone decided to continue this addon! I have translated it to Hungarian!
Can you include it in the addon? Download from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?hx2z45tig1f

Somehow, it doesn't work yet, can you please fix it?
Tuxman

Post by Tuxman »

Hmm, I can't, as I don't understand Hungarian. ;)
The easiest way to get a working translation is to register on Babelzilla and translate it there.
osbertdebroilg

Post by osbertdebroilg »

Hi,

Please could someone help ? I would love to get this plugin working with Firefox Portable. Is there a quick and easy way to install it please?

Many thanks !
Tuxman

Post by Tuxman »

Hmm, the easiest way is clicking the link, I presume.
Tuxman

Post by Tuxman »

Some comments from AMO, answered here for future reference:

But why is it still marked experimental?

Because Jeremy Gillick's 1.0.0 version is still listed.

What I'd like to see is a way to configure it by file extension. Ideally, modify the Tools>Options>Applications to have "Use Associated" as an option in the list of options.

I don't know why I should help my users configuring their browser in a stupid way.
Srsly, automatically executing anything is quite an security hole, so this will probably (like: for sure) never come.

(...) would it be possible to get back the "open with default (...) application" radio button for executable files, since there is no other way to open an executable file directly?

Executables don't have a default application. Executing executables is what this extension does.
abell1204

Post by abell1204 »

This is a great idea and wonderful functionality, but why, when I click the "open with Win32 default" option ... does the "always/remember" dialog become grayed out???

That's the same problem native Firefox already has.

I'd like the option to just trust the file extensions in the link(s) and leave it to the O/S and other mechanisms to guard my privacy and sensibilities.
Tuxman

Post by Tuxman »

I would call it a security issue. :)
abell1204

Post by abell1204 »

Tuxman wrote:I would call it a security issue. :)

Really?
Forcing the user to click the same box every time is a security issue? How, exactly, does this insure any security? Maybe I'll have second thoughts? Take this opportunity to rethink my evil ways and navigate away from a site -- all because a box requires me to select "use default Win32 application" every time?

Really ... just for the sake of enlightenment ...

What exactly is prevented by making the user click the box every time?

why does everyone involved in today's computer infrastructure see it as their job to be my mommy?

Please understand that I really do appreciate your (and many other people's) willingness to provide thousands of hours of labor for free in order to make the world a better place, but I'm always amazed when giving the user the option as to how to run his own computer is seen as a risk.
Tuxman

Post by Tuxman »

You can't easily "untick" the checkbox, that's why. :)
I would call it a security issue when your Firefox opens any file it is told to open without asking you first. Imagine a website redirecting to malicious code.