Firefox MSI install for corporate rollout (silent install)

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

wig_out_on_me, that's a really cool trick with the desktop namespace, thanks. Do you have any other tricks up you sleeve?

Here's a VBS script of his registry file. And oldtimer this will work for you as well with your version of windows. It will also work if you installed Firefox in a different directory then the default, as it will read the location from registry.

firefox-namespace-shortcut.vbs
firefox-namespace-shortcut-undo.vbs

EDIT: Updated create namespace script to read installed firefox version from registry before reading path to firefox exe. This should make it compatable with any version of firefox.
Last edited by mcm_ham on November 9th, 2004, 9:39 pm, edited 9 times in total.
DraconPern

Post by DraconPern »

Save mode shortcut corrected.
<del>Set correct registrys so that if Firefox is set as default, FF won't ask again.</del> still not quite working.
Desktop icon similar to Internet Explorer using desktop namespace.

http://download.frontmotion.com/Firefox ... enUS-1.msi
(dns may not be updated for everyone yet.)
-Eric Kuo
FrontMotion Login, Firefox MSI, and other software at www.frontmotion.com
Hello Lubbock, Texas!
FordP

Post by FordP »

I contacted Ben yesterday and his response was very welcoming. He would love to add the icon namespace for 1.0 "as tempting as it seems" but he's got too many things on his plate to start this. He advised me to file 2 bugs one for the MSI build automation and another for the Icon namespace.

Icon namespace bug: 264889

I didn't want to file a bug on the DraconPern's MSI builds because I'm far from skilled in MSI creation. I use InstallShield AdminStudio and I can safely say 60% of my packages don't work on 100% of our own machines. Not to mention my transforms aren't perfect either. (ode to SolidWorks 2004 ](*,) )

I've got a free day today from classes so I'm going to hunt the mozilla IRC channels to see if I can get some leads as to where to begin. Waldo's information was very useful but I'm still a newbie to the Mozilla source tree (a big freekin tree at that)

Great job, mcm_ham! I attached your vbs scripts because I thought they were cleaner and more interpolable than the reg files that wig_out_on_me and I wrote.

Cheers :)

---------------
I love the OSS community
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

Well I've made a Inno Setup port of firefox, it doesn't create .msi file though. I gave up trying to handle MAKEMSI. You can download these two files if you want to have a go yourself.

http://files.jrsoftware.org/ispack/ispa ... 5-beta.exe
http://mcmblog.sitesled.com/Files/Setup_iss.zip

NB: The reason for so many edits is because my hosting site keeps playing up. Does anyone know of a good cheap or free webhosting site?
Last edited by mcm_ham on December 3rd, 2004, 3:10 pm, edited 19 times in total.
FordP

Post by FordP »

Turns out bug# 231062 is already an open enhancement bug for MSI creation. Check it out and give your two cents.

DraconPern has already given his input and hopefully this will get done quickly after Mozilla 1.0 but it looks like its not going to happen for 1.0. Ah well!
DraconPern

Post by DraconPern »

Yeah, I don't think we can make 1.0. It will require changing build scripts/testing which we are probably too close to ensure quality.
-Eric Kuo
Hello Lubbock, Texas!
1chaoticadult

Post by 1chaoticadult »

@mcm_ham I did the same thing you did. I made an inno setup port of firefox which I've had working pretty good for a while. Your inno script you posted helped me with my script. Thanks.
Cryomenace

Post by Cryomenace »

FordP wrote:

Code: Select all

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]
"{EC8030F7-C20A-464F-9B0E-13A3A9E97384}"=dword:00000000

If the user is running with classic startmenu, and most people I know do, then the correct path is:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu]

Kind regards from

Cryomenace
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050225 Firefox/1.0.1
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

In trying to improve my setup program I found a way to restore IE assosciations for uninstallation from a registry entry:

%systemroot%\system32\shmgrate.exe OCInstallReinstallIE

Another thing I found is that when the official installer runs it creates this registry key:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\firefox.exe

Does anyone know what this does?
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

Well I found the reason for it here. Apparently without out it WM6.4 is used to play embeded sound instead of WM9. DraconPern I noticed it's not in you sample script, you may want to add it.
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

FordP wrote:Turns out bug# 231062 is already an open enhancement bug for MSI creation. Check it out and give your two cents.

DraconPern has already given his input and hopefully this will get done quickly after Mozilla 1.0 but it looks like its not going to happen for 1.0. Ah well!

I notice this bug has been marked as a stopper for the 1.0 release. I guess for the moment it looks like they are going to try and make a .msi version in time.
DraconPern

Post by DraconPern »

mcm_ham wrote:%systemroot%\system32\shmgrate.exe OCInstallReinstallIE

Only works on WinXP SP1 or above. My current solution is a custom dll in the MSI.

mcm_ham wrote:HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList\firefox.exe

Ok, will be included in -2 along with the attempt to fix the firefox ask default problem
-edit-

D'oh! Just got my internet bill... >.< Donations? Links are now pointing to somewhere else. ^_^;
-Eric Kuo
Hello Lubbock, Texas!
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

Thanks for the warning about the trick only working on WinXP, I've ended up having to bundle a reg file and running regedit / s <regfile> to resore IE assosciations for Win9x. Are you able to provide that dll file and can I run it by calling regsvr32 on uninstall? Also couldn't you run:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -silent -nosplash -setDefaultBrowser

After installation to make firefox default, it would save a putting in a lot of those registry entries or doesn't that work for the nature of deployment intended by using the msi installer.
Last edited by mcm_ham on October 21st, 2004, 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
DraconPern

Post by DraconPern »

mcm_ham wrote:"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -silent -nosplash -setDefaultBrowser

Sigh, where is that documented....? a google search didn't turn up anything useful. >.<
-Eric Kuo
Hello Lubbock, Texas!
mcm_ham

Re: Source for script

Post by mcm_ham »

DraconPern [FrontMotion] wrote:

<$Registry HKEY="LOCAL_MACHINE" Key="Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet\firefox.exe\InstallInfo" Name="ReinstallCommand" Value=^"[#firefox.exe]" -silent -nosplash -setDefaultBrowser^ Type="STRING" MsiFormatted="VALUE">

Actually, I got those command line options from one of your registry entries in your code :wink:. That is a good point about the lack of documention for firefox's command line arguments. Maybe we should file a bug to provide that documentation.

EDIT: I have found this site Mozilla's Command Line Options, but a number of them are Mozilla only and looking through bugzilla I've found a number of new ones like firefox.exe -console, remember these only work when firefox isn't running.