Direct2D/DirectWrite Accelerated Rendering For Firefox

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
ZeDestructor

Re: Direct2D & DirectWrite HW Acceleration For Minefield - Info

Post by ZeDestructor »

Talking about Tab Previews, I just checked FoxTab and it flickers while rendering with Direct2D and DirectWrite. Should be added as a Known Issue.

Note: It does not stop D2D and DW from functioning, it just flickers during rendering of animations
System: Acer Aspire 5920G | Mobile intel Core 2 Duo T9300 @ 2.5Ghz | 4GB Dual Channel Samsung DDR2 RAM | ATI Mobility Radeon HD4650 1GB DDR2 | 20.1" LCD @ 1680x1050 + 15.4" LCD @ 1280x800 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 640GB 7200RPM | Windows 7 x64 | Internet Connection 20Mbps/1Mbps
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

That's probably related to the Video flickering issue since its using flash.
myzar74

Post by myzar74 »

I'm getting this weird rendering randomly

Maximizing and minimizing firefox window fixes it . Also menus aren't always painted or painted with garbage . This is random i haven't steps to reproduce
ZeDestructor

Post by ZeDestructor »

Omega X wrote:That's probably related to the Video flickering issue since its using flash.

Odd, because YouTube and Miniclip.com work fine with no flickering (and as far as I know both are Flash sites)
System: Acer Aspire 5920G | Mobile intel Core 2 Duo T9300 @ 2.5Ghz | 4GB Dual Channel Samsung DDR2 RAM | ATI Mobility Radeon HD4650 1GB DDR2 | 20.1" LCD @ 1680x1050 + 15.4" LCD @ 1280x800 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 640GB 7200RPM | Windows 7 x64 | Internet Connection 20Mbps/1Mbps
iceccold

Post by iceccold »

myzar74 wrote:I'm getting this weird rendering randomly

Maximizing and minimizing firefox window fixes it . Also menus aren't always painted or painted with garbage . This is random i haven't steps to reproduce

I'm having same problem.
"We cannot have homeland security unless we understand that the whole planet is our homeland "
Dorus

Post by Dorus »

Hardware acceleration works really nice here. The demo's (including google maps) are noticeable faster, peacekeaper score: complex graphics is higher then i thought would be possible, and all sites i visited so far looks ok (but those can be counted on one hand, didn't test a lot yet).

Only thing is i get a transparent screen half the time, only when i move/resize Firefox it display the page.

Is that a known bug? i m on windows vista, using a fresh nighly and a fresh profile.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

How are you making it mess up like that ? I've trying shrinking down the browser window, and dragging the lower right corner to expand the view port, and for the life of me, no matter how fast I drag the corner, I cannot get the page to smear as in your image.

Perhaps I'm not using a page that exhibits the problem, can you post a link ?
iceccold

Post by iceccold »

On PeaceKeeper Complex Graphic test results are impressive!
Littlemutt the mess comes by it self on random site. (Facebook, MozillaZine, YouTube, Google, and others.)
"We cannot have homeland security unless we understand that the whole planet is our homeland "
myzar74

Post by myzar74 »

Littlemutt wrote:

How are you making it mess up like that ? I've trying shrinking down the browser window, and dragging the lower right corner to expand the view port, and for the life of me, no matter how fast I drag the corner, I cannot get the page to smear as in your image.

Perhaps I'm not using a page that exhibits the problem, can you post a link ?

I can't it's totally random and not specific to a url, sometimes firefox decides to render a page in that mess , it could happen on any page
jrudkin

Post by jrudkin »

Dorus wrote:Hardware acceleration works really nice here. The demo's (including google maps) are noticeable faster, peacekeaper score: complex graphics is higher then i thought would be possible, and all sites i visited so far looks ok (but those can be counted on one hand, didn't test a lot yet).

Only thing is i get a transparent screen half the time, only when i move/resize Firefox it display the page.

Is that a known bug? i m on windows vista, using a fresh nighly and a fresh profile.

Dorus, I was getting the exact same thing. Then, it changed to when I went from one link to another, I would get a blank page. When I would click on the top of the browser and move it slightly, the page would appear. The only thing that would fix it was to change to Windows Classic theme. Using Vista,sp3 and nightly 3.7a3 pre.

Joe
Dorus

Post by Dorus »

Yeah, i got the transparant screen in variouse situations too, new empty tab, new bookmark tab, starting peacekeeper and perhapts more.

Not the big questions is, is there a bug on this? If nobody knows so i'm gonna look for one myself later and/or report this.
MASTAN

Post by MASTAN »

Simple way to test if D2D is working in firefox:
http://mrdoob.com/projects/chromeexperiments/ball_pool/
With D2D enabled text inside big ball is perfectly fine while its rolling, and pretty shaky and aliased without. The lower ball speed the bigger difference.
MASTAN

Post by MASTAN »

WebGL doesn't work when D2D is on and works when D2D is off.
Turn on webgl.enabled_for_all_sites variable, reload browser and go to http://www.iquilezles.org/apps/shadertoy/
With D2D on the render area is black, though fps counter shows that data is being processed.
Dorus

Post by Dorus »

jrudkin wrote:
Dorus wrote:Hardware acceleration works really nice here. The demo's (including google maps) are noticeable faster, peacekeaper score: complex graphics is higher then i thought would be possible, and all sites i visited so far looks ok (but those can be counted on one hand, didn't test a lot yet).

Dorus, I was getting the exact same thing. Then, it changed to when I went from one link to another, I would get a blank page. When I would click on the top of the browser and move it slightly, the page would appear. The only thing that would fix it was to change to Windows Classic theme. Using Vista,sp3 and nightly 3.7a3 pre.

Joe

Couldn't find a bug that describe exactly this problem. So i opened bug 550756. Bug 532106 looks a bit like it, but i think that's another problem.
laohudashu

Post by laohudashu »

The effect is so exciting!
the fonts looks so beautiful,what a great work!