Unresponsive script error

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

Re: Unresponsive script error

Post by Guest »

I was getting unresponsive script error problem after installing firefox 3.5 update. I found a fix that worked for me, maybe it will work for you too.

Ever since I upgraded to Firefox 1.5, I’ve been getting some unresponsive script warnings on sites that employ heavy Javascript like Gmail or Bloglines. Curious about it, I dug around and managed to find out how to fix the problem.
Firefox unresponsive script dialog

To fix it, you’ll need to access the hidden configuration page in Firefox. Just type about:config in the address bar and you’ll get a page full of hidden configurations which you can tweak till your heart’s delight.

In the 'Filter' box, type dom.max_script_run_time. This will narrow the options till only the dom.max_script_run_time option remains. Right-click it and choose Modify. A box pops up. Change the number to something bigger like 20. This is the maximum time a script can run before Firefox considers it 'unresponsive'.

If you can’t find the string in the about:config page, create it by right-clicking anywhere and then choose New—> Integer and enter dom.max_script_run_time. When prompted for the value, use 20.

So far I’ve not had anymore unresponsive script warnings, so I guessed that fixed that problem! However some extensions may also cause similar problems. Hope this helps.

Hope this helps
schapel

Post by schapel »

Good to know that worked. You can also follow all the suggestions at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unresponsive_Script_Warning
HYATT

Post by HYATT »

I've run a number of tests to eliminate the obvious.
I keep coming back to a java error somewhere is all I can add up.
Web designers are always implementing the latest java updated applets and stuff. I am starting to think one of their beans fell out of the pod and got damaged and they just tossed it back into the soup.
It's very URL specific. I'm ONLY experiencing it on scout.com pages, but it's ALL scout.com pages.
I am also experiencing a slightly different problem on another site where if I open too many tabs, FireFox locks up. It never used to do that before on that site but they also implemented a java update recently and it only does it on that site. I can open a hundred tabs elsewhere.
Those two together point right back at developer scripts from Sun Micro.

Post by Guest »

I was having that problem and from other reading on the net decided that it was a problem with too much information and too many fragmented hidden files on Google. A variety of ways to fix it were proposed, most of them too technical for me to follow, so I uninstalled Firefox, went on to Internet Explorer and downloaded Firefox again. Now it seems to work.
maya90

Post by maya90 »

Guest wrote:Read this link Unresponsive Script???. There are a few options for you to try.

shouldn't question be WHY this happens? is the script-author doing something wrong? I get it all the time on a blog I visit regularly, it's very annoying.. I even get it when go to another pg on same blog, even though I clicked on "don't show this again"... in my case it shows the error is in a jquery file (jquery-1.3.2.min.js) -- could there be something wrong with this jquery code? or with the author's script?

I find it hard to believe this is a FF problem.. but well, what do I know.... on the other hand, if a FF extension causes this, then it seems to me the extension should be fixed (disabling extensions is not the solution, at least not for me, as I need the extensions..)

someone here mentioned also that it could happen when you have google bar installed, but I don't...
schapel

Post by schapel »

Did you follow all the suggestions at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unresponsive_Script_Warning ?
gensym

Unresponsive script error: a fundamental issue/bug

Post by gensym »

Unfortunately, the "unresponsive script error" is (still) fundamentally broken since it does not notice
when it ends up being unresponsive itself:
due to this, it can cause a hang-up of Firefox that can be amended only by killing and restarting the application.

A concrete example is when the "extended running time of a script" is caused by (or triggered while) a File Save dialog is open: the unresponsive script warning dialog will then pop up logically _behind_ the File Save dialog (at least in Mac OS X, panther (10.3) through leopard (10.5)).

The resulting situation is that the File Save dialog _keeps input focus_ (and still has some local functionality), but
both "save" and "cancel" buttons are disabled, so the File Save dialog cannot be removed (closed) and one cannot
get at the unresponsive script warning dialog causing this issue to close that (nor at any other Firefox functionality, not even
at "Quit" for a clean shutdown).

The net consequence is that Firefox must be killed and restarted.

It would be great if this issue could be looked into and taken care of.
schapel

Post by schapel »

Please file a bug report in Bugzilla about the problem: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/

You may want to discuss the bug in the Firefox Bugs forum before you file a bug report.
maya90

Post by maya90 »

so why does this happen? I get this error over and over again, but only on ONE website.. so the problem can't be with FF.. (disabling extensions is not an option if you need the extensions you have installed..)

I think there must be something with the JS code (or something else) on the part of the website author (especially if you get this thing only on ONE website..)
schapel

Post by schapel »

Why it happens is described in the first sentence at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unresponsive_Script_Warning
vijayaragunathan

Post by vijayaragunathan »

How to set dom.max_script_run_time = 0 using javascript at runtime?
schapel

Post by schapel »

Without installing an extension, I don't think you can. Anyway, you wouldn't want to mess with others' settings, would you? You should make your JavaScript so that it doesn't use the CPU continuously for too long. There is a link to a description of a technique for avoiding it at the link I give above.

I haven't been able to load the page in the Knowledge Base, so here's a link to the Google cached copy:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... =firefox-a
akmk

Post by akmk »

I have been getting the same message on my Mac since Google News updated their home page. I will leave Google News if I can't solve this. Any suggestions?

I used to get the unresponsive script message occasionally on some sites with long downloads--ie many comments with photos, etc. on blogs

Now I get it every time I open Google News home page!!!! (since google news recently changed their home page format)

OSX 3.9 Firefox 2.0.0.8 I have good reasons I can't upgrade my systems and will stay put.

Thanks.
SandwichINK

Post by SandwichINK »

I am really surprised. I've been using Firefox with no problem for a couple of years - including when I bought my Mac several months ago. Then a couple of months ago, the script errors really started up. I thought it was something new, but based on these comments - going WAY back - it seems like it's been an existing issue for years! I love Firefox but it's becoming as time consuming as IE was. Sigh... I appreciate all this help though. Thank you :)

Kaye Swain
SandwichINK
schapel

Post by schapel »

Unresponsive scripts have always been an issue, since JavaScript was implemented. At least Firefox tells you that a script is unresponsive and allows you to stop it so your computer's CPU isn't maxed out. It's a feature, not a bug.

I think this is the point that is lost on most posters here. The problem is not the unresponsive script dialog that Firefox gives you -- the problem is the web page or extension that causes excessive CPU usage that Firefox is warning you about.