0.5 Update

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
denro

Blake, please ...

Post by denro »

I doubt that a suit against using Phoenix for the name of the browser would have legal merrit. The name Phoenix is excellent and whether the developers wanted this to happen or not, the name "Phoenix browser" already has an excellent and growing reputation before its official version 1 release. I encourage the developers to stand pat with the current name. Hope that we will soon see a Phoenix version 0.5.
-- Denro
daihard
Folder@Home

Re: Blake, please ...

Post by daihard »

denro wrote:I doubt that a suit against using Phoenix for the name of the browser would have legal merrit.

Is that what's going on? I too hope that the official version of this excellent browser will bear the name "Phoenix."
cheeaun

Post by cheeaun »

'Phoenix' rules.
Phoenity http://phoenity.com/
You should follow me on Twitter here http://twitter.com/cheeaun
Chris in MI

Thanks, Blake!

Post by Chris in MI »

Hey Blake,

Since nobody else here has seen fit to do it yet, I'd like to thank you for the time and effort you've put into bringing us this wonderful web browser for absolutely no money on our part. I'm not too bothered that 0.5 is out a bit later than the roadmap said - 0.4 is great and 0.5 will be better, whenever it's done.

Do yourself and us a favor and take the weekend or at least the next few days off and spend time with family or friends instead of working on code. You've done plenty for us - do something for yourself for a change.

From all of us who use and love Phoenix, thanks for all that you do. :-)
Ted Mielczarek

Trademark

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

The Phoenix developers are not stupid. Please do not treat them as such.

To end this discussion:

Word Mark PHOENIX
Goods and Services IC 009. US 038. G & S: basic input/output computer programs, operating system computer programs, computer programs for use in the interpretation of page description languages, and user manuals for use therewith, and sold to original equipment manufacturers. FIRST USE: 19840622. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19840622
Mark Drawing Code (5) WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS IN STYLIZED FORM
Serial Number 74193975
Filing Date August 12, 1991
Published for Opposition September 22, 1992
Registration Number 1739544
Registration Date December 15, 1992
Owner (REGISTRANT) Phoenix Technologies, Ltd. CORPORATION DELAWARE 411 East Plumeria Drive San Jose CALIFORNIA 95134
Attorney of Record Annette M. McGarry
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR).
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Phoenix Technologies holds a trademark on the word "Phoenix" with regard to a few kinds of software as listed above. For you nonbelievers who would think this doesn't apply to Phoenix-the-browser, I direct your attention to this product. Yes, Phoenix Technologies makes some sort of browser-in-bios. If you don't think they will enforce their trademark against Phoenix-the-browser, then you are just stupid.

We all like Phoenix-the-browser, and I know none of us want the name to change, but we also don't want our favorite browser project to get sued out of existence. The Phoenix Technologies people would win even if the Phoenix developers could afford to take this to court. So let's stop the silly comments about how the name doesn't need to change, and deal with it. The name will change.
ugggf

Post by ugggf »

Name is not so important as the project itself - so better not mess with copyrights and so.

Hmmm, Chris in MI is probably right, 0.5 release time doesn't really matter that much. Unless the developers like it more this way... :wink:

Anyway, thanks for the great work so far...
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

How NOT to help - when told three times that a name change is needed, say "don't change the name!"

- Chris
Elektro Schock

My proposal was

Post by Elektro Schock »

DONAR
ehume

Trademark

Post by ehume »

Thanks, Ted, for looking up the official trademark description. It arguably gives them the sole right to the name Phoenix on a browser, and arguability is all they need to go to court.

Unfair as it may seem (and I believe they have overreached), the point of volunteer efforts is to move without much cost. So, reluctantly, I must concur that we have to have a new name.

There is a thread for that already running. None of the names are as satisfying, but there we are.

Ed
schussat

Re: Trademark

Post by schussat »

ehume wrote:Unfair as it may seem (and I believe they have overreached), the point of volunteer efforts is to move without much cost. So, reluctantly, I must concur that we have to have a new name.

Very well-put. I also think they're over-reaching, but your point about volunteer efforts is great. So, how will a new name be decided upon?

-Alan
ehume

How will a new name be chosen?

Post by ehume »

By the developers. They do the work.

They also chose Phoenix in the first place.

Ed
IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse »

Even so, I have seen tons of mini-software companies with names/product names using Phoenix.
-IoN_PuLse
Team Leader of 007 Quake II www.007quake.com
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Yes, but not high-profile ones which get people to email Phoenix.com and ask where the web browser is multiple times a day.

- Chris
death_syn

A Poll

Post by death_syn »

We need to establish a poll somewhere prominent like slashdot, so as to establish the new name. Otherwise, flame wars are going to ensue on whatever new name it gets. Of course, they may still happen anyway, but it gives hope, and also keeps the forums from being clogged with more silly "this name change thing is stupid" posts. I have no facilities to host such a thing, anyone else want to try?
schussat

Re: How will a new name be chosen?

Post by schussat »

ehume wrote:By the developers. They do the work.

I didn't mean to imply otherwise -- I think my question was more to the point of wondering if they have any alternative favorite names at this time, and what their decision-making process is like.

-Alan