Preventing multiple instances

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
levi

Preventing multiple instances

Post by levi »

Is there a way to prevent Thunderbird from opening more than once, so if I click on my inbox it opens it in the same window instead of opening a new one
jareha

Post by jareha »

I'd also like for new instances of Thunderbird to somehow be supressed. I accidentally double-click folders all the time, causing Thunderbird to open up new windows.

<< Jonathan
<a href="http://www.deftone.com/blogzilla/">Blogzilla - A Blog About Mozilla</a>
Apple iBook / Mac OS X 10.4.9 / 1GHz G4 1.12GB
Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.4 (2007-05-15) / Thunderbird 2.0.0.4 (2007-06-04)
RickyC1976

Post by RickyC1976 »

jareha wrote:I'd also like for new instances of Thunderbird to somehow be supressed. I accidentally double-click folders all the time, causing Thunderbird to open up new windows.

I agree completely.
Would be great to avoid that a double click on a folder starts another instance of Thunderbird (a "feature" that even Mozilla Mail had).
jareha

Post by jareha »

I guess such a feature would just be better for Outlook Express converts such as myself. I do believe such shouldn't be the default, however (Thunderbird should definitely innovate and not bow down to Microsoft's setup). Maybe a preference in about:config would make such an implementation hidden enough? Or better yet, an extension (I need to learn how to write them because I keep dropping hints).

<< Jonathan
<a href="http://www.deftone.com/blogzilla/">Blogzilla - A Blog About Mozilla</a>
Apple iBook / Mac OS X 10.4.9 / 1GHz G4 1.12GB
Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.4 (2007-05-15) / Thunderbird 2.0.0.4 (2007-06-04)
GolfProRM

Post by GolfProRM »

I don't know that I would call this feature an "OE converts" feature... I don't see any reason why a mail program should need to allow two instances running when double-clicking on a folder... It would be one thing if it allowed multiple instances running (to allow two different profiles up at the same time), but the current setup is not needed...
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."
wickedlemon

Post by wickedlemon »

I have several computers throughout the house, and all my mailboxes stored on the server. That way I can access the same email accounts/mail from anywhere I'm at. Preventing multiple instances is essential in this siutation.

I'm currently using Eudora because it does have this feature, although Eudora sucks in other ways so I would like to change.
technomage

Post by technomage »

has this issue really been left unresolved since July?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.4) Gecko/20060508 Firefox/1.5.0.4
Mozilla Thunderbird version 1.5.0.4 (20060516)
Desktop: WinXP Pro | AthlonXP 1700+ | 512MB DDR | ATI Radeon 9000
Laptop: WinXP Home | Intel Centrino Solo 1.66 GHz | 1024 MB DDR2 | Intel GMA 950 Graphphi
chuonthis

Post by chuonthis »

An extension for the masses: <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=57224">No New Window on Double Click 0.1</a>
neiby

Post by neiby »

Why is an extension required? Why would anyone even want multiple instances in this case? Does this actually provide any benefit at all? If not, why not get rid of it? Off the top of my head I see no benefit in multiple instances of an email client.
Klavs

Post by Klavs »

Why won't thunderbird 0.8 allow multiple instances on windows? :(

It's very annoying and I need it for this setup:

I have a "common" profile - which every computers thunderbird starts up in - and they can all read the common email.

A few users have a private address - and since we have mail stored on network drive (prefer this, to imap) they need to start a second instance of thunderbird, using their private profile (they also need to have the "common" profile open).