message reply "compose" window behaves erratically

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
emaharg

message reply "compose" window behaves erratically

Post by emaharg »

When I select to reply to messages, the compose window opens differently in ways that I cannot understand and do not want.
Sometimes it convets the entire incoming message to plain text, and does not show me any formatting toolbar, and converts my html signature into text - othertimes it shows the incoming message as it was sent and I have my formatting toolbar and usual signature. This does NOT seem to depend on whether the message sent to me had coloured fonts and pictures etc.
What i want to do is ALWAYS to reply using the formatting toolbar, ALWAYS with my html signature, and quoting the incoming message with all its formatting exacty the way I read it the first time.

How can i achieve that?
runs Chrome 71, Thunderbird 60.5 32bit, Windows 7 (64bit), uses TB with POP not IMAP
DanRaisch

Re: message reply "compose" window behaves erratically

Post by DanRaisch »

How Thunderbird displays the reply window is controlled by the received message. If the message is received as plain text, the reply will begin in plain text. You can change that by using the drop down of the "Reply" button and selecting "Reply in HTML".
emaharg

Post by emaharg »

THAT WOULD WORK FOR ME, EXCEPT THAT IN MY REPLY DROP DOWN I ONLY HAVE THE OPTION "REPLY", AND IN TEH REPLY ALL DROP DOWN THE ONLY CHOICES ARE "REPLY" AND "REPLY ALL".
I AM USING TB3.03 - IS SOMETHING MISSING IN MY VERSION?
ALSO, I AM LOOKING NOW AT AN EMAIL FROM A COMPANY, WITH TWO COLOURS, A LOGO, SEVERAL FONTS AND A BULLET LIST - BUT WHEN I CLICK "REPLY", ALL OF THAT FORMATTING DISAPPEARS AND IT APPEARS BELOW MY REPLY ONLY AS COURIER TEXT IN BLUE, WITH STARS FOR THE BULLET LIST.
runs Chrome 71, Thunderbird 60.5 32bit, Windows 7 (64bit), uses TB with POP not IMAP
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Do you have Thunderbird set to compose messages in HTML format? Check under Tools->Account Settings->Composition & Addressing.

(Please do not post in all capital letters. It makes it harder to read your post and, on the Internet, is considered to be equivalent to shouting.)
emaharg

Post by emaharg »

yes, TB is set to compose in HTML format.
Sorry about shouting!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

This extension might be of interest to you -- https://nic-nac-project.org/~kaosmos/ch ... te-en.html
To install a Thunderbird extension do the following:
Right click the download link on the extension's home page and choose "Save Link As...". Then, in Thunderbird, go to Tools->Addons->Extensions tab->click on the "Install" button. Navigate to the just downloaded .xpi file and select it. Click on the "Open" button. The installation will now begin. You will need to close and reopen Thunderbird to complete the install.
emaharg

Post by emaharg »

Brilliant! that sorted out the difficulty, thanks a lot.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.