Adobe Flash player not showing in addons

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
eradic8

Adobe Flash player not showing in addons

Post by eradic8 »

After recently trying to update Adobe Flash player without success I decided to uninstall then re-install it to the latest version, but for some reason it is not showing up on addons now. It is installed on my computer as it shows in programs and features, but not in addons and I am unable to watch flash videos now. Can someone please tell me how I can get Firefox to recognise Adobe flash player, it is starting to annoy me now as I thought it would just be a simple job.

Also when I try to update Adobe Shockwave Extention it says the Extention is not up to date when it is. I wish Mozilla would not keep changing things so much, I never used to have these problems but now everything seems to be going wrong.
LIMPET235

Re: Adobe Flash player not showing in addons

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
See this thread & KB article for help...
> viewtopic.php?f=7&t=945195
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Flash
NB: There are 2 versions....One for IE (Active X variety) & one for Firefox etc.
Make sure that Firefox is closed before running the installer.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

eradic8
Also when I try to update Adobe Shockwave Extention it says the Extention is not up to date when it is. I wish Mozilla would not keep changing things so much, I never used to have these problems but now everything seems to be going wrong.

Where within Firefox are you trying to update Adobe Shockwave Extension (Plugin???)
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Try this:

Close Firefox, go to your profile folder, and delete the pluginreg.dat file.

Also, as LIMPET235 pointed out, make sure that you have the Firefox version of Flash installed. If you visited the download page with Firefox, you should be OK.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/plugincheck/
Shockwave Flash for Director can't be detected correctly right now on the Plugin Check page. They're working on being able to check additional plugins, beyond the 3 they are now currently able to check accurately.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
eradic8

Post by eradic8 »

Thanks for all replies, I will try later and see if the problem is resolved. Thanks the-edmeister for the link, I knew shockwave director was up to date, and could not understand why plugin check page was saying otherwise. Anyway that explains things now.
eradic8

Post by eradic8 »

Bluefang wrote:Try this:

Close Firefox, go to your profile folder, and delete the pluginreg.dat file.

Wont that delete all my bookmarks?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Bookmarks "are not" in that file.
eradic8

Post by eradic8 »

I used the correct uninstall tool to delete flash player, then re-booted my computer and installed flash player that I had saved to my desktop, but still it is not showing up in Firefox. Anyone further advice welcomed.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Just to make sure of something... open up your Windows control panel and click on Programs (and Features...not sure what is displays for Vista)... and post here which Adobe Flash entries you have in there.
eradic8

Post by eradic8 »

This is all the Adobe stuff I have installed:
Adobe AIR (dont know what that is, I only noticed it recently)
Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.3
Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX (no longer showing up in Firefox)
Adobe Shockwave Player 11.5 (Shockwave for Director is showing up in Firefox)
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

eradic8 wrote:Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX (no longer showing up in Firefox)

This one is not for Firefox, but that's the version for IE. It is expected not to show in Firefox as ActiveX is a MS-proprietary thing.

You need to download the other Flash Player 10, the one not in ActiveX.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi,
NB: There are 2 versions....One for IE (Active X variety) & one for Firefox etc.

Just take your time & read what is posted. ;)
It ain't going anywhere.
Firefox does not & will not use Active X.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
eradic8

Post by eradic8 »

LIMPET235 wrote:
LIMPET235 wrote:Hi,

Just take your time & read what is posted. ;)
It ain't going anywhere.
Firefox does not & will not use Active X.

Limpet I did read it. Using Firefox I entered URL http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer On page it says Adobe Flash Player Version 10.0.45.2 Windows,Firefox,Safari,Opera
I press agree and install, but on download page it does not automatically install. It says if download does not start, click here for trouble shooting info, and all that is on that page is one download link and it appears to be ActiveX version.

I have enabled adobe.com in noscript, and I'm going to uninstall opera browser which I do not use as default browser, just in case that has something to do with it. I dont know what to do because I am following correct link but it will not automatically download and if I follow trouble shooting link there is only one link on that page and it is for the ActiveX version. Sorry if I'm not explaining myself very clearly, but I'm doing my best, I never had this problem before and I can only think it has something to do with changes in how Flash player is Installed/uninstall now. It's really starting to annoy me now, I dont want to stop using Firefox, but if I'm going to keep getting problems like this I will have no choice, I need flash player to be working.

Thanks for your advice, but my computer knowledge is limited, and I am trying my best to listen to the advice.
eradic8

Post by eradic8 »

Something else I noticed. I have tried this link http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ several times now, and on a couple of occasions I got the webpage error message: "The page isn't redirecting properly - Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete"