Getting multiple recipients on one line?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
frank325

Getting multiple recipients on one line?

Post by frank325 »

Is there any way to get all the recipients of an email on one line instead of individual To: or CC: lines for every single address? Sometimes I send an email to, say, 10 people. When someone replies, my original quoted email has all 10 addresses on separate lines. This is a real waste of space, and up until using Thunderbird, it was normal to see multiple recipients on the same line delimited by a comma or semi-colon. Please tell me there is SOME way of changing how this functions? It's very annoying.
charles

Re: Getting multiple recipients on one line?

Post by charles »

Us a comma to separate the addresses. That is the international standard.
frank325

Post by frank325 »

Yes, you can enter them that way. But once you finish or send the email, it puts all email addresses onto their own separate lines. It doesn't use one To box to put all the emails in like I enter them.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What version of Thunderbird are you using? Current release versions (3.0.4) display addressees on received messages as multiple names per line.
frank325

Post by frank325 »

I'm on 3.0.4. I'm not referring to emails I receive in Thunderbird. I'm talking about emails I sedt out. I hate that it displays all the email addresses on separate lines. When viewing a reply to an email of mine on my phone, it shows all the recepients on separate lines in the quoted text.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thunderbird isn't formatting the display of messages you receive on your phone. The phone software is. Look at the same sent message in the Sent folder in Thunderbird to see how Thunderbird displays it. You'll find that there are multiple addressees on one line.
frank325

Post by frank325 »

My phone only displays them like that when it's a reply from an email I sent from Thunderbird. It doesn't do it for other emails. Aside from the phone issue, the simple fact that if i type an email address when sending an email and hit <enter>, it goes to another To: line for the next email address. I find that rather annoying. I see no sense in having more than one To, CC, and BCC line. Even if I type multiple address on one line, once I 'tab' out of there to get to the subject and body, it puts them all on separate lines. .
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That is only in the composition window. If you check the same message in the Sent folder it will have multiple addressees on one line. And, again, how your phone formats the display is not controlled by Thunderbird.
jasondalycan5000

Post by jasondalycan5000 »

I agree with frank325: most email clients use three lines, one for To, one for Cc, and one for Bcc -- Thunderbird's method of splitting recipient lists into separate lines is somewhat unusable for end-users. I have never actually seen another email client that has implemented multiple recipients management this way.

Can there not at least be an option to select one's preferred method of managing multiple recipients (i.e. on separate lines or delimited on the same line -- an on/off checkbox within user preferences would suffice)?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Unusable? No, not at all. Unusual, yes. That it is.

You can enter multiple addressees on one line, comma delimited.

Post by Guest »

The address field design in the message compose window is the weakest point in TB, sorry to say IMHO. I've used other clients in the past including Outlook and even Pine on UNIX, and none have this weakness. I'm not trying to bash TB here, don't get me wrong. It's a good application, but if majority of other email clients are doing something in a certain way and is popular with the users, they must be a doing a better job in this area. Sad thing is that TB developers don't want to admit it. Any time you submit an enhancement request for this, it got pushed to the side with pretty much the attitude of, it is what it is, too bad if you don't like it. Having each address in a separate line wastes valuable real-estate space on the screen, especially working with a large number of addresses. Have to constantly scroll up/down to manage them. Even if you type multiple email addresses comma separated, the current design only auto-complete the first address typed in. I use an LDAP setup for my addresses which makes it difficult of not having the ability to look up and auto-complete multiple comma separated addresses. Any way, this is just my own personal opinion only.
Kesavan.S

Post by Kesavan.S »

comma is not working. address gets marked in red after entering comma.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That just means that the address is not being recognized as already in your address book. Have you tried sending the message despite the red marking?
Kesavan.S

Post by Kesavan.S »

No. because i don't know address. i need to select address from list(address book).
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

When in the Composition window, press F9 (or use menu path View->Contact Sidebar) to open a pane at the left of the window displaying the address book data. You can then search for the addresses, select them and then click on the "send type" you wish for each set of addresses: To:, CC:, or BCC:.