Mail & Newsgroup settings

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Kippo

Mail & Newsgroup settings

Post by Kippo »

Nearly every time I want to send an email recently I get an error message saying that the sending of the emaiul failed and " Please verify that mail & newsgroup settings are correct and try again" !!
How do I change these and to what?
Thanks.
DanRaisch

Re: Mail & Newsgroup settings

Post by DanRaisch »

* Which version of Thunderbird? Check Help>About for the version number.
* What is the exact wording of the error message (if any) that you are receiving?
* What kind of mail - POP, IMAP?
* Is your mail service from an ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based?
* Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? Which ones?
* Do you regularly compact your folders? Weekly or more often is strongly recommended. Check http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders for more information on compacting folders.
* Without divulging your e-mail address or account name, what are your server settings, including server name, port number, and choice for "Secure Connection" for:
+ Tools>Account Settings>*account*>Server Settings?
+ Tools>Account Settings>Outgoing Server (SMTP) (at the bottom of the list of accounts on the left)>*server*>Edit?
* Any recent changes in your computer or software configuration that might be relevant?
(including OS or Thunderbird updates, adding extensions or themes, etc. and any security program updates)
Kippo

Post by Kippo »

As above in original quote
POP
ISP
AVG and Zone Alarm
Never compact
Tiscali (Talk Talk now) Port 110, No security settings.
smtp.tiscali.co.uk

The only thing new is that Talk Talk have taken over Tiscali.
MKC

Post by MKC »

I get this too
I get: Unable to save your message as draft. Please check that your Mail and Newsgroups account settings are correct and try again.
Once I get this message I know that whatever mail I am drafting cannot be saved and cannot be sent, and my work is down the pan.

Which version of Thunderbird? version 2.0.0.24 (20100228)
* What is the exact wording of the error message (if any) that you are receiving? See above
* What kind of mail - POP, IMAP? POP
* Is your mail service from an ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based? Mail service from my website host
* Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? Which ones? AVG
* Do you regularly compact your folders? Weekly or more often is strongly recommended. Check Don't know - what I do know is I often get interrupted while the Inbox is compacted, drives me mad
* Without divulging your e-mail address or account name, what are your server settings, including server name, port number, and choice for "Secure Connection" for:
+ Tools>Account Settings>*account*>Server Settings? name is my hosting mailbox, port number 110, nevr use secure connection
+ Tools>Account Settings>Outgoing Server (SMTP) (at the bottom of the list of accounts on the left)>*server*>Edit? There are two servers here
* Any recent changes in your computer or software configuration that might be relevant? Just Thunderbird's infuriating updates which always seem to make it worse
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Kippo, that error message does not seem complete. Please try again to send a message and post the exact text of the error message.

MKC, you have a different problem with a different error message. There are too many variables in these situations to try do deal with different problems in one thread. Please start a new topic to avoid creating confusion in this one.

Post by Guest »

All sorted. Thank you all. By activating the Folder Compression option all my emails are going immediately.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome. But there is no "Folder Compression". Do you mean "Compacting"?