Thunderbird: Connection to server pop.gmail.com timed out

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Panhinda

Thunderbird: Connection to server pop.gmail.com timed out

Post by Panhinda »

I use MS XP Professional. Yesterday I installed AVG 9.0.814 (the free version). Possibly since then Thunderbird doesn't download mail and gives the message: "Connection to server pop.gmail.com timed out"

I have surfed the various fora and reset the Account Settings as well as disabled and enabled the pop on the gmail settings without success. I have also disabled email scanning from AVG.

Just once the account connected and began downloading (to my surprise) some 487 emails. Ultimately only six were downloaded and they were from two years back.

Any advice that you can give is most appreciated.

P.S. - I should add that I use Thunderbird 3.0.3
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird: Connection to server pop.gmail.com timed out

Post by DanRaisch »

Based on your report, it sounds as though AVG may be causing a delay in the downloading of data from Gmail to Thunderbird. Check for settings in AVG and shut down any email scanning functions.

Some folks have reported problems when using AVG version 9.x and the usual recommendation has been to uninstall that and see if Thunderbird still has problems. If it does not, switching to another freeware anti-virus software may be necessary. Avast is a good option.
Panhinda

Post by Panhinda »

Thanks Dan. I will try that.

TB just downloaded some 440 emails from 2008. It is therefore not a connectivity problem. But downloading old emails is quite weird since there are some 30+ emails to be downloaded from gmail.

I had Avast earlier and it seemed to be having some problems (not too sure) with the COMODO firewall. Now I have only the Windows Defender. Will post back on the progress.

Thanks again.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Avast and Comodo work very well together on my system. That's version 5.0.507 of Avast and version 3.14.130099.587 of Commodo. Be sure that the anti-virus element of Comodo is switched OFF so there will be no conflict with Avast.

On the Gmail web page, use menu path Settings->Forwarding and POP/IMAP->POP Download section->select "Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on".