Thunderbird 3.0.4 Extremely Slow to respond

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
laopa

Thunderbird 3.0.4 Extremely Slow to respond

Post by laopa »

Hi,

Recently I have updated, Online Armour 4.0.0.45, Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0.4 and Avira Antivire Premium 10.0.0.603 and now Thunderbird is very slow to respond in doing anything.

Could this be a matter of Thunderbird or the two email scanning programs in Online Armour and Avira Antivir clashing in some way?

Help.

Kind Regards

laopa

System: 2.85 Gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q9550, twin 500GB Raid Mirrored HDDs, 4GB RAM, External 1.5TB HDD, Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600) with HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20L [CD-ROM drive] and NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT [Display adapter], LGE W2252 [Monitor] (23.0")

Security Software: Online Armor Firewall Premium Version 4.0.0.45, Lavasoft - Ad-Aware Pro Application Version 8.1.4.0 (8.2 sucks) Avira GmbH - AntiVir Desktop Premium Version 10.0.0.603, Advanced SystemCare Pro 3.5.1 plus assorted proactive protectors i.e. Spybot Search & Destroy, Spyware Blaster, WinPatrol, and passive scanners A-Squared Free, SUPERAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes AntiMalware, HitMan Pro 3.5 etc. Also utilize Sandboxie and Proxomitron.
laopa

still crazy after all these years and dam proud of it
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird 3.0.4 Extremely Slow to respond

Post by tanstaafl »

Is it just slow when it has to access the network, or is it also slow if you just want to browse and read already downlaoded messages?

I suggest you disable the scanning in one of the two programs and see if that improves things. You seem to have way too many security programs, I wouldn't be surprised if they interact and cause problems, and add a lot of overhead.

Personally, I disabled the email scanner in the free version of Avast! since all of my email providers scan the messages anyways. I use a cheap router that has a built-in firewall. Other than that I don't automatically run any security programs. Every couple of months I'll run spyware S&D, superantispyware and malwarebytes antimalware. That works well for me since I'm cautious about what I open/download and try to use safer alternatives to IE, adobe reader etc.
laopa

Post by laopa »

Hi,

It is slow at every thing. When I open it it takes 10- 20 seconds before I can hit the collect mail button, then it takes the same amount of time if I want to write or read an email.

Think of any action you want to take when using Mozilla and add another 10-20 seconds delay before you can do it.

Downloaded and reinstalled Thunderbird yesterday and every thing was fine. Rebooted the system and we are back to "hangville".

Shut down Online Armour Email Scanner and left only Avira Antivir .............. made no difference.

I have also and on a daily basis compact my folders so that is not the answer the delete/rubbish bin is also empty.

This has all just started to happen over the last few weeks since 3.0.4 and other security updates.

You seem to have way too many security programs

Don't think so but will probably dump Ad_Aware at end of subscription anyway. No added value.

Help.

laopa ](*,)
laopa

tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Performance_-_Thunderbird

See if moving all of the messages in the inbox to other folders and then compacting helps.
laopa

Post by laopa »

Hi,

Tried that and it had no affect. Shutting down Online Armor does however fix the problem. Even if I then restart Online Armor everything remains OK with Thunderbird.

There must be some form of conflict at system reboot between Thunderbird and Online Amor ... me thinks?

Thoughts and suggestions .. I have notified Online Armor / Tall Emu ?

Regards

laopa
laopa

Post by Guest »

I was having a similar problem where the performance of Thunderbird, overall, was poor. And, what frustrated me the most, it was taking several seconds for the next message to be displayed whether it was a text based message or an HTML based message.

I disabled e-mail scanning in avast! and rebooted. Thankfully, performance was back to normal.

I had recently upgraded my version of avast! to version 5 (5.0.507). I didn't tie that action to the performance degradation in Thunderbird until I found this thread.

So, considering the user above had an issue with Online Armor and I had an issue with avast!, it seems more likely that Thunderbird is the source of the conflict, not the virus scanners.
laopa

Post by laopa »

Hi,

After discussions with Online Armor (shutting down Online Armor) which did temporarily improve Thunderbird and then getting rid of A2 Squared Dialer Guard from my system, everything now seems to be OK with Thunderbird.

I do however still find it interesting that this problem with Thunderbird only occurred after updating both Thunderbird and Online Armor.

Pretty sure the sophistication and size of these programs increases on a near daily basis and this only results in more potential conflicts and they often seem to be being developed in "lab glass bubbles" on systems that have no relationship to those in the real world.

Anyway for today I am OK...........but I wait for tomorrow?

Regards

laopa [-o<
laopa

georgiadawg

Post by georgiadawg »

Since installing 3.0.4, every function in Thunderbird is slow and it has nothing to do with Avast or anything else. I have a brand new Dell Latitude Z with tons of memory, super fast HD, and the previous version of Thunderbird ran just fine in the same environment. Something has changed in Thunderbird.

laopa wrote:Hi,

After discussions with Online Armor (shutting down Online Armor) which did temporarily improve Thunderbird and then getting rid of A2 Squared Dialer Guard from my system, everything now seems to be OK with Thunderbird.

I do however still find it interesting that this problem with Thunderbird only occurred after updating both Thunderbird and Online Armor.

Pretty sure the sophistication and size of these programs increases on a near daily basis and this only results in more potential conflicts and they often seem to be being developed in "lab glass bubbles" on systems that have no relationship to those in the real world.

Anyway for today I am OK...........but I wait for tomorrow?

Regards

laopa [-o<
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

* What kind of mail - POP, IMAP?
* Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? Which ones?
* Do you regularly compact your folders? Weekly or more often is strongly recommended. Check http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders for more information on compacting folders.
* Have you tried switching off Global Search and Indexing under Tools->Options->Advanced->General?
Calgary Gal

Post by Calgary Gal »

I'm having the same problem with Thunderbird 3.0.4 as well. I've unchecked the indexing function, compacted emails, and turned off Avast! email scanning. After all that, it still takes nearly 15 seconds for a message to appear on my preview screen, and a similar amount of time for a deleted message to disappear. NOT what I am accustomed to!! What gives?
Toshiba A200 laptop; Vista Home Premium; Avast 5.0.565; Thunderbird 3.0.4; Firefox 3.6.3
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

DanRaisch wrote:* What kind of mail - POP, IMAP?
* Do you regularly compact your folders?
Calgary Gal

Post by Calgary Gal »

Hi Dan,
Yes, I have compacted my folders - never had the need to do that before this week (and it made no difference)! And I use POP mail.

I've never had this kind of slowness until this last update of Thunderbird. It's very discouraging.

I use Vista, FF 3.6.3, TB 3.0.4
Toshiba A200 laptop; Vista Home Premium; Avast 5.0.565; Thunderbird 3.0.4; Firefox 3.6.3
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Once again, are you access a POP or IMAP type account?
How many messages are in the Thunderbird Inbox of that account?
Calgary Gal

Post by Calgary Gal »

I'm accessing a POP type account and there are currently about 10 messages in my Inbox, all of which are less than 40K in size.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, try this:

First, backup your Profile ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup )

Create a new sub-folder under Local Folders. Move all of the messages currently in your Inbox to that new subfolder.

Confirm that you have made the recommended backup of your Profile.

Close Thunderbird and navigate to your Profile folder. Delete both the file Inbox.msf and the file Inbox with no extension.

Restart Thunderbird and you should find a new, empty Inbox folder in place. Copy any messages you MUST have in your Inbox from the sub-folder created above to the Inbox. Compact the Inbox after those messages are copied in.