Can't send mail to .juno [solved]

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Kieth

Can't send mail to .juno [solved]

Post by Kieth »

Any mail I try to send through Thunderbird to a .juno address, will not even be sent. If I go to my server and use the web mail, everything works fine. I contacted .juno, and they said it isn't caused from them. I contacted my server (Alice), and they said since it isn't even being sent from Tunderbird, and since I can send it via web mail, it has to be a "problem" (filter, etc.) with Thunderbird. I've read some posts here, but have not been able to find any thing.

In fact it must be Thunderbird, as I sent mail to a .juno address via SeaMonkey.

I've looked and looked through the Thunderbird preferences and account settings, but I can't find the problem. Any ideas on how to resolve it?

Thanks,
Kieth
Last edited by Kieth on May 14th, 2010, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tanstaafl

Re: Can't send mail to .juno

Post by tanstaafl »

What is the full text of the error message?

Can you send mail to somebody in a different domain (for example somebody on gmail or yahoo) using Thunderbird?

Did this ever work? If not, what changed shortly before it broke?

What version does help -> about Thunderbird say you are using?
Kieth

Post by Kieth »

Yes, I can send mail to anyone else. What happened before the problem? I have no idea. Actually, I was unable to send letters to 1 particular .juno address for quite a long time. Then, about a month ago, I was unable to write any of them.

I am using Thunderbird in a Linux system - Mandriva. The Thunderbird version is 3.0.4. The exact errors I received while trying to contact Juno, are:

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.7.1 87.10.187.209 has been blocked by abuseat. Please check the message recipient abuse@support.juno.com and try again.

Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server out.alice.it was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again or contact your network administrator.

Thanks for the quick reply and help,
Kieth
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

abuseat seems to be a spam blocking list. See http://cbl.abuseat.org/

Basically your email provider tries to figure out if you trying to send mail to a spammer (you're replying to some spam you got) and if that is the case they won't let you send it. They typically compare the recipients address against several blocking lists when they do that. http://www.spamhaus.org/ is another example of a blocking list.

Its possible juno is being blacklisted by abuseat due to too many spam messages being sent from there (that would explain the 5.7.1 error code in the first error message). That would explain why you can't send to anybody in juno, rather than just one address. That is a problem that all email providers run into periodically. They have to contact whoever runs the list, convince them they killed the accounts used by the spammers (or that the messages really weren't spam) etc.

Its not clear why your ISP doesn't do the same thing when you use webmail.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/5.7.1_Unable_to_relay
Kieth

Post by Kieth »

Thanks for the help. Yes, it is strange that I can still send mail through my web mail. But I'm not super convinced that the problem is my provider. As I mentioned before, SeaMondey worked. In fact, I just finished sending a letter to all of my .juno addresses at the same time through SeaMonkey, and it went OK. It seems I have a problem only with Thunderbird.

Kieth
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you including a signature file when sending with Thunderbird that is not included with SeaMonkey?
Kieth

Post by Kieth »

Ahh, I never thought of that (which is why I'm asking for help, too), but no, that wasn't the problem. On Thunderbird, I have a background color (nothing strange, just a standard color picked out) and an html signature. On SeaMonkey, I had sent out the emails without the signature or different background color. Before posting this time, I attached the same signature to SeaMonkey, and it went out, but I did not add a background. I also tried sending a letter to the same .juno address thru TB, without a signature file or a background color (default settings). It still didn't go out. Here are the messages:

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.7.1 Requested action not taken: mailbox not available. Please check the message recipient ....@juno.com and try again.

Sending of message failed.
Please verify that your Mail & Newsgroups account settings are correct and try again.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Error 5.7.1 usually refers to a "relay" problem -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/5.7.1_Unable_to_relay
or this: viewtopic.php?p=1316842#1316842
Kieth

Post by Kieth »

:) Thank you! The authentication did it. For the smpt settings, I checked the "Use name and password", and 'off went' my letter to a .juno address!

Ahh, just one question though. Why was it only with .juno and not all the other servers/sites that gave me problems?

Thanks again,
Kieth