2003-06-03 Windows, Linux and OSX builds Now Available

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
mscott

2003-06-03 Windows, Linux and OSX builds Now Available

Post by mscott »

Soon to be found at:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/ ... 6-03-trunk

Thanks to macrxnapa for donating the Mach-O build.
Thanks to andred as always for donating the linux build.

New things in this build:
1) I believe all of these builds contain the two fixes for the recent crashes in Mozilla when moving messages around.

2) Viewing messages in various charsets should now be fixed (http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewt ... 1539#91539)
3) Linux and Mach-O builds are now correctly building the new toolkit so you should not see any errors when customizing toolbars and many of the widgets should look different
4) Put back the ability to drop toolbar buttons in the menubars since a lot of people didn't like that I turned that off in order to dummy proof customizeable toolbars.
5) Collapsed overlay work in the address book and mail compose by Stephen Walker which should improve new window time for these windows slightly
6) the MNG image decoder is no longer part of the build. The throbber has been converted to an animated GIF. Thanks to Pavlov for providing the new animated gifs. This allows us to save over 300K by not including the decoder.
7) Fixed a JS error after customizing toolbars that would cause your menus to be locked in the disabled state.

I think that's about it.

Enjoy,
-Scott
Last edited by mscott on June 11th, 2003, 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thunderbirds are Go!
nilson

Post by nilson »

Well I dislike the decision to remove mng/jng support because for one: gif is copyrighted technology. two: no alpha support. three: it's old. four: if we don't support it, who will?

Anyways, thanks for the build.
macrxnapa

Question about a post build error

Post by macrxnapa »

Before doing a new build every evening, I like to do:

make distclean

in my TB OBJDIR. But in so doing, this evening, I got this error:

make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/Volumes/DevProjects/SeaMonkey/mozilla/modules/libpr0n/decoders/mng/
Makefile.in', needed by `mng/Makefile'. Stop.

My question: Could this be an indicator that something may be wrong with the build that came from this session?

This error rarely appears during a distclean, but I'm wondering if such errors are valid warnings.

In this case, I just trashed everything in the OBJDIR by hand, allowing configure to rebuild the OBJDIR tree.

Is this also Ok?

I would tend to believe it should be, but I'm interested in making sure.

Thanks
Don
macrxnapa

Re: Question about a post build error

Post by macrxnapa »

macrxnapa wrote:Before doing a new build every evening, I like to do:

make distclean

make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/Volumes/DevProjects/SeaMonkey/mozilla/modules/libpr0n/decoders/mng/

My question: Could this be an indicator that something may be wrong with the build that came from this session?

This error rarely appears during a distclean, but I'm wondering if such errors are valid warnings.

In this case, I just trashed everything in the OBJDIR by hand, allowing configure to rebuild the OBJDIR tree.

Is this also Ok?

Thanks
Don

Well duh...

I believe I figured it out.

I was doing the distclean during my checkout. By this time the mng decoder items were already removed from my tree. <so pay attention, Don> :-)
mscott

Post by mscott »

macrxnapa wrote:Before doing a new build every evening, I like to do:

make distclean

Is this also Ok?

Thanks
Don

the mng decoder has been removed from all of mozilla. You are probably getting an error because when building thunderbird, we were explicilty listing the mng decoder in your .mozconfig file.

I just updated the build page and remove the mng decoder from it. I bet removing that fixes your problem.
Thunderbirds are Go!
mscott

Post by mscott »

nilson wrote:Well I dislike the decision to remove mng/jng support because for one: gif is copyrighted technology. two: no alpha support. three: it's old. four: if we don't support it, who will?

Anyways, thanks for the build.

I think you mean to be arguing that a webbrowser should have MNG support. A mail client has no use for it. The only reason we were including it was because the throbber was an MNG. Paying 300K in disk space just to render the animated throbber wasn't appropriate.

In any case this was also a mozilla driven policy. The MNG decoder is actually getting removed from the mozilla trunk.
Thunderbirds are Go!
macrxnapa

Post by macrxnapa »

mscott wrote:the mng decoder has been removed from all of mozilla. You are probably getting an error because when building thunderbird, we were explicilty listing the mng decoder in your .mozconfig file.

I just updated the build page and remove the mng decoder from it. I bet removing that fixes your problem.

Exactly!

Sorry for the unnecessary post.

Many thanks,
Don
noodge

Post by noodge »

Thanks for the new build. The deleted mail fix is most welcome. One bit of weirdness I'm seeing that I haven't noticed any reporting of is what happens when you have just enough emails in a that it has to draw a scrollbar. The bottom of the messages pane starts shaking up and down very quickly, as if it can't decide if it wants to draw a scrollbar or just display all the messages in the folder. I don't know if that's a very good description, or if anyone can reproduce it. I'm using Windows2000 SP3 and the latest build of Thunderbird.
TrueDis

Post by TrueDis »

Have you considered using the icons from http://phoenity.com/bird/ ? They're amazing.
AlexIhrig

Post by AlexIhrig »

German language-files de-DE 0.1a (20030603) - win32 - are finished.

http://thunderbird.diepause.de

Alex
AlexIhrig

Post by AlexIhrig »

@ Don, Mscott, ....

It would be helpfull, if you could create builds with the same directory-/jar-structures!

in win-32:
- en-win.jar
- en-US-mail.jar (US.jar integrated)

in MacOS X:
- en-mac.jar
- en-US.jar
- US.jar

You should create the same jar-files!
-> The MacOS X build uses the structure like Mozilla and MozillaTranslator-application....

Thanks
Alex
ikelos

Post by ikelos »

I don't know if this is a Mozilla change or a Thunderbird change, but there seems to be a new "secure authentication" option. Previous versions seemed to try the secure authentication and then fail over into insecure authentication. This means that for old servers running without this ability, the start up time is much quicker (because there's no wait for the timeout).

To test whether your mail server accepts secure authentication, just wait, secure authentication is on by default, and if it fails will return an error message rather than failing over. To turn it off, the option is under the account settings > server settings just above check for new messages at start up.

Mike
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

TrueDis wrote:Have you considered using the icons from http://phoenity.com/bird/ ? They're amazing.

Code: Select all

XML Parsing Error: unclosed token Location: http://phoenity.com/bird/ Line Number 5, Column 46:</html> ---------------------------------------------^
GoBruins

Linux and attachments

Post by GoBruins »

The Linux version does not allow attachments to be sent. Add that and I'll start using Thunderbird as my regular mail client :D
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

Is it just me or is the FTP REALLLLYYY slow