Firefox doesn't restore previous session after restart/crash

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Sabreman64

Firefox doesn't restore previous session after restart/crash

Post by Sabreman64 »

Firefox 3.6.3 is not restoring previous sessions after a crash or after a normal restart. I've looked in about:config and browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash is set to the default of true. Could anyone help please?

Re: Firefox doesn't restore previous session after restart/crash

Post by Guest »

i am having the same issue. i miss the way firefox would restore my sessions after i would restart my computer or close it out
Platon_

Post by Platon_ »

Sabreman64

Post by Sabreman64 »

Well, I've followed the link to that article, and tried everything mentioned there, but Firefox is still not restoring previous sessions after a crash or restart. (Browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash is set to true, and browser.startup.page is set to 3.)
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

If I recall correctly, Private Browsing or Clear history when Firefox closes may affect session restore. Are you using either of those?
Sabreman64

Post by Sabreman64 »

Nope. Not using either private browsing or clear history when Firefox closes.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Just checking on something... how often does your Firefox crash? Maybe that's the root of the problem.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

Look in your Firefox profile folder for multiple numbered copies of sessionstore-n.js where "n" is a number, for example, "sessionstore-999.js". Are there any? Delete the numbered copies, if found. Delete sessionstore.js too.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diag ... ile_issues
John Whitworth

Post by John Whitworth »

above info does not work. I have been working on a project for a week and finally got down to about 10 tabs that were worth working on/that I needed and I clicked the save and display when firefox starts next time and when I did they were all gone. I dunno what to do as I need to recover them and I have already looked in cache and index and system restore and nothing brings them up. What do I do?
John Whitworth

Post by John Whitworth »

I also had clear history when firefox is closed so history is no use there. I have looked in 2 days of previous restore points but nothing shows the tabs that were closed although I clicked "restore tabs when firefox starts". I am using Firefox 3.6.3 version. Operating system Windows XP
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Alan Baxter wrote:If I recall correctly, Private Browsing or Clear history when Firefox closes may affect session restore. Are you using either of those?

John Whitworth, did you see this?... Alan states that clearing history may be a problem when it comes to restoring info ...and you do clear history on FF close..per your post.
John Witworth

Post by John Witworth »

I had firefox where it would clear the history on shutdown but since it crashed I set it to not clear history. I have been trying to restore to previous firefox session http://www.openmediaboston.org/node/905 and none of these methods worked but I do know what to look for now maybe. I have tried 3 system restores but nothing comes up. I did however find that maybe http://www.diskinternals.com/products/d ... ures.shtml can recover the file because I can at least see the sessionstore file (I'm not sure if its the right one but it shows one with an x in it. I tried all @ Top 10 FREE Data Recovery Software http xxxxxxxxxxx but none even showed anything related but disk internals so I'm going to go back to it in a few minutes and see what can be done. It does however ask me to pay like $39.95 to get my files back is why I tried the free ones above first. I don't have any money or any way to get the money to pay for the software so ? Is there any other way to retrieve the tabs. Many thanks.
Last edited by LIMPET235 on April 30th, 2010, 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Killed link...
John Witworth

Post by John Witworth »

It says here also that profiles have history. http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/pro ... irefox_3_6 I looked at my profile and I couldn't find the tabs that firefox was supposed to restory. Maybe I am missing something because it says "These files are kept separately from the program files that Firefox uses to run, which don't change." could my closed tabs be in there somewhere? I am on C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\pfr14t63.default as of now and looked around and couldn't find anything from that time frame.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I had firefox where it would clear the history on shutdown but since it crashed I set it to not clear history.

Did FF actually crash or is that just the term you're using because you didn't mention that it crashed before.
So, when exactly did you un-check that history retention option to "not" clear history?

And, if you're using your Windows restore points I think that that is more for Windows OS/other applications and perhaps not so much for data files... not sure though as I've never had to use it.

It took a long time to get back to you because the KB (knowledge site) was down for most of the day...
Here's a session related article here on MozillaZine... not sure if they will help because if you cleared certain things before changing your options you may be out of luck...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Session_Restore

Also, for future session situations this extension might be a better tool for you. I've used it and it has never failed in logging sessions. I don't use the option to keep the tabs from sessions on closing Firefox but this extension gives you the option to save a session upon closing Firefox into a different area.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2324
John Witworth

Post by John Witworth »

Well what happened is that I closed firefox and clicked the button that said "restore tabs when firefox restarts" and I opened firefox and all my stuff was gone. This means it did not restore any of my tabs and that it opened a blank page. I had "clear history when firefox closed checked" as I have always had checked so I don't have to worry about clearing the history and all that stuff anytime. I expected firefox to save my tabs and open them next time like I checked but instead it gave me a blank page. Since then I have unchecked the box and spent lots of time (had to find this forum and search google) trying to find a way to get my tabs back as I worked over 2 days on the information (and its no way to get it all back) without getting my stuff back on my tabs that were supposed to be opened when firefox restarts. I hope this clears it all up.