getpersonas.com keeps coming back

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Marcato

getpersonas.com keeps coming back

Post by Marcato »

In Firefox 3.6.3 tools|options "warn when add-ons installed", a site called getpersonas.com showed up out of the blue as an exception. I remove it, a few days later it is back in there. Almost like adware. why can it keep coming back. i don't want any exceptions in that area with permission to allow installs. thanks.
patrickjdempsey

Re: getpersonas.com keeps coming back

Post by patrickjdempsey »

getpersonas.com is a Mozilla-owned website that allows you to "skin" your browser using "Personas". It's possible that Firefox will not allow you to block getpersonas.com as a trusted site because if that was possible then many many people would be complaining about how the "clicked a button in a box" and they can no longer use persons. In other words, I suspect it's just idiot-proofing.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

In Options/Preferences > Security > Exceptions, I removed the getpersonas site from the list months ago and it is still absent in both Mac OS and Windows. I do not think it is automatically put back.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Marcato, do you have Persona's Plus installed?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Marcato

Post by Marcato »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Marcato, do you have Persona's Plus installed?

No, i like to keep every thing bare bones and not many extras. For now, getpersonas.com has been gone for over 1 day. It was put back in twice automatic that I know last week. i will watch to see if it returns. maybe something in about:config puts it back
Marcato

Post by Marcato »

Well it go for 3-4 days without getting put in, now it is back. I will keep deleting it when it reinserts itself.
UNOwen

Post by UNOwen »

@Marcato

I just happened to come across this thread and checked my exceptions list and also found getpersonas.com had been automatically placed in the list. I removed it but was curious as to why this appeared and did some Googling to see if anyone else was experiencing this.

What I found was this about:config preference:

Code: Select all

xpinstall.whitelist.add.36

According to the mozillazine knowledgebase article on about:config entries, this setting controls what is automatically whitelisted in the exceptions list:
A comma-separated list of sites to automatically add to the extensions whitelist. Default value is update.mozilla.org,addons.mozilla.org but is cleared as soon as the values are added to the whitelist

You might try going to the about:config page (type about:config in the location bar and press enter) and type in the filter at the top for that preference and see what is listed as its value(s). If getpersonas.com is listed just right click on the preference and choose "modify" and delete getpersonas.com value and see if that prevents it from showing up again.

I don't really know if that will help though as it seems that the value "getpersonas.com" is somehow regenerated at random intervals and is then placed in the install whitelist when Firefox is started and then is duly deleted as per spec for that preference.

I wonder if this is a bug or a feature. :?
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I do not see that list in about:config. That setting is in permissions.sqlite. It lists both addons.mozilla.org and update.mozilla.org for install, but not getpersonas.com in mine.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Looks like your prefs get reset.
These prefs get set to an empty String once the sites have been added to the whitelist if the pref is not empty if you open the exception window.
Tools > Options > Security : "Warn me when sites try to install add-ons": Exceptions

xpinstall.whitelist.add - addons.mozilla.org
xpinstall.whitelist.add.36 - getpersonas.com

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Preferences_not_saved