Is there any extension to get the find dialog back?

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
d13f00l

Is there any extension to get the find dialog back?

Post by d13f00l »

I really dislike the new find toolbar. Is there any way/extension to put it in a window instead of a toolbar? Thanks.
TalynOne

Post by TalynOne »

Seconding this request.
Ria

Post by Ria »

Perhaps the Find option in the rightclick menu is something for you? It uses the little window.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=117678
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

There are a couple find extensions, I think.
d13f00l

Post by d13f00l »

No, I'm looking to completly overwrite the new find toolbar, with the keyboard shortcuts as well. I don't see any extensions for it, yet. :(
Hekx

Post by Hekx »

Hopefully 1.0 will feature a choice in toolbar or dialog box.
I never had any problems with the latter, so I don't see why it was removed.
hekx.ed
mai9

Post by mai9 »

I hope to regain the password dialog aswell :cry:

Hekx wrote:Hopefully 1.0 will feature a choice in toolbar or dialog box.

it was removed for the same reason the password dialog was, because they don't want nag dialogs prompting the user. iirc Ben was also against the prompt that happens if you try to close firefox with more than one tab, but at the end that prompt was added.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

mai9 wrote:I hope to regain the password dialog aswell :cry:

it was removed for the same reason the password dialog was, because they don't want nag dialogs prompting the user. iirc Ben was also against the prompt that happens if you try to close firefox with more than one tab, but at the end that prompt was added.

Actually, it was gone for quite a while, then added back in later.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Dialogs to avoid dataloss (accidentally closing a browser with multiple tabs) aren't really in the same category as dialogs that stop you changing tab or clicking on other buttons within the window. I can't think of many people who want applications to interfere with their actions, but similarly, hardly any applications will allow you to exit with unsaved progress, and that's a good thing.
mai9

Post by mai9 »

sasquatch wrote:
mai9 wrote:I hope to regain the password dialog aswell :cry:

Actually, it was gone for quite a while, then added back in later.

which dialog are you talking about? and when was it gone and then added back? because I don't recall this :-k
red_avni

Post by red_avni »

A lot of people asking about this, so I did a compare on browser.js and browser.xul for .9.3 and the 1104 aviary build. This is all that needs to be changed to enable to find dialog again. I'm entirely too lazy to create an extension though.

Change these [lines] in browser.xul...

Code: Select all

[37]   <script type="application/x-javascript" src="chrome://global/content/findBar.js"/>
[141]  <command id="cmd_find" oncommand="onFindCmd();"/>
[142]  <command id="cmd_findAgain" oncommand="onFindAgainCmd();"/>
[143]  <command id="cmd_findPrevious" oncommand="onFindPreviousCmd();"/>   

...to this, and add the stringbundle tag on line 57.

[37]   <script type="application/x-javascript" src="chrome://global/content/findUtils.js"/>
[57]   <stringbundle id="findBundle" src="chrome://global/locale/finddialog.properties"/>
[141]  <command id="cmd_find" oncommand="getBrowser().find();"/>
[142]  <command id="cmd_findAgain" oncommand="getBrowser().findAgain();"/>
[143]  <command id="cmd_findPrevious" oncommand="getBrowser().findPrevious();"/>

In brower.js delete initFindBar() on line 665, and voila...the find dialog is back.
gorgias

Post by gorgias »

I think that will break find as you type. Fayt seems to depend on the toolbar code :(
d13f00l

Post by d13f00l »

red_avni wrote:A lot of people asking about this, so I did a compare on browser.js and browser.xul for .9.3 and the 1104 aviary build. This is all that needs to be changed to enable to find dialog again. I'm entirely too lazy to create an extension though.

Change these [lines] in browser.xul...

[37]   <script type="application/x-javascript" src="chrome://global/content/findBar.js"/>
[141]  <command id="cmd_find" oncommand="onFindCmd();"/>
[142]  <command id="cmd_findAgain" oncommand="onFindAgainCmd();"/>
[143]  <command id="cmd_findPrevious" oncommand="onFindPreviousCmd();"/>   

...to this, and add the stringbundle tag on line 57.

[37]   <script type="application/x-javascript" src="chrome://global/content/findUtils.js"/>
[57]   <stringbundle id="findBundle" src="chrome://global/locale/finddialog.properties"/>
[141]  <command id="cmd_find" oncommand="getBrowser().find();"/>
[142]  <command id="cmd_findAgain" oncommand="getBrowser().findAgain();"/>
[143]  <command id="cmd_findPrevious" oncommand="getBrowser().findPrevious();"/>

In brower.js delete initFindBar() on line 665, and voila...the find dialog is back.

Awesome, thanks.
Unarmed

Post by Unarmed »

Bumping this ancient thread with an extension.

Retro Find 1.0 implements the diffs that red_avni found. My first attempt at writing an extension, but tested and working under Firefox 1.0.
idbehold

Post by idbehold »

Unarmed wrote:Bumping this ancient thread with an extension.

Retro Find 1.0 implements the diffs that red_avni found. My first attempt at writing an extension, but tested and working under Firefox 1.0.

HOLY SH!T I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU, You put all mozilla devs to shame with your extension alone. This has to be the best thing since sliced bread, I LOVE YOU!
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.1b1pre) Gecko/20080911020314 Minefield/3.1b1pre