How to prevent applications from launching firefox/browsers

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.

How to prevent applications from launching firefox/browsers

Post by Guest »

Greetings , i usually prevent applications from reaching internet via firewalls .
But lately a lot of programs changed their method of reaching internet to using default browser launch commands.
Since usually the browser is not blocked , application reaches its destination without problem / permission / detection.

Question is : "How can i prevent applications from launching firefox/internet explorer or any other browser"
For example ,
-A confirmation box could appear if some application tried to use firefox.
-Or a setting to completely disable external launch commands.
-Or a whitelist for some applications only to use this feature.

This has been a problem for me and now its getting worse, please help .
DanRaisch

Re: How to prevent applications from launching firefox/browsers

Post by DanRaisch »

Because this is not a question about Firefox it would better be discussed in a different location on the forums but to post there you must be registered. If you do choose to register, please post back in this thread, asking a moderator to move this to a more appropriate location.

Post by avatar332 »

Thanks for guiding , at first registration didn't work but i am the thread poster .

"Because this is not a question about Firefox it would better be discussed in a different location on the forums but to post there you must be registered. If you do choose to register, please post back in this thread, asking a moderator to move this to a more appropriate location." <Quote>

Yes , moderators please move this thread to a proper place.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to Tech...

Has your firewall got an "Ask for permission" option?
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

Post by avatar332 »

I recently changed my firewall software and it doesnt provide much filtering options except for blocking or allowing certain processes.

Direct connections of that software are asked and blocked but since firefox is enabled and this "example X application" runs a launch html command on firefox exe and firefox itself connects to internet , nothing gets blocked or asked.

Even once my antivirus program blocked a trojan horse through that attempt by luck , next time i may not be that lucky. Besides all kinds of information gets uploaded through this method.

Also i would like to solve this problem without relying on other security software's please as they are subject to change in the future.

Extra info is that , even though i may at some point , be able to fix this issue through firefox, there are some software's always using internet explorer to reach internet "assuming other browsers have better security and IE hasn't"
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

You don't mention which firewall you use but Comodo is recommended.
> http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-sec ... rewall.php
You don't need the AV, so watch the install.
Check the specs etc.

Malware Bytes, SUPERAntispyware & Ad-aware are also recommended.

My old faithful Sygate firewall has the Block, Allow & Ask features.
I should think that Comodo would have similar ones.
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

Post by avatar332 »

Thanks for the recommendation , so this firewall checks for between processes calls , ill give it a try .

I still welcome any other solution , for example , i wonder if there is any option within firefox to disable its command line html site launching feature. Or something registry based.

Or changing some registry keys to prevent computer from knowing what the default browser is . This way offensive applications wouldnt just know how to reach the internet , out of the box.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

avatar332 wrote:Thanks for the recommendation , so this firewall checks for between processes calls , ill give it a try .

I still welcome any other solution , for example , i wonder if there is any option within firefox to disable its command line html site launching feature. Or something registry based.

Or changing some registry keys to prevent computer from knowing what the default browser is . This way offensive applications wouldnt just know how to reach the internet , out of the box.

You are making this too complicated.

Make another browser the default browser and block that browser accessing the Internet via your firewall.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
condorito

Post by condorito »

^ Yes, what Frank said, plus you could rename firefox.exe to something else to make really sure no app can find it directly.
So the maples formed a union, and demanded equal rights. The oaks are just too greedy, we will make them give us light.

Post by avatar332 »

Thanks for the replies , looks like a firewall control is a good idea , blocking unknown between process calls.
MeCasa
Folder@Home

Post by MeCasa »

Use Firefox Portable
Sex is dirty only if it's done right .... Live and Let Live .... Rules are Boring and I Don't Like Them
...................................................... MeCasaEsSuCasa ................................................

Post by avatar332 »

Just a quick update ; < " i found a solid and practical solution " >
After trying out comodo internet suite , using its defense module , one can set custom protection settings for each program.
I was able to immunize firefox to external windows message pumps from other processes and it worked flawlessly.
No application could make firefox launch websites "ie: clicking menu::about and clicking their website link doesn't open websites anymore, or any other application specific auto link launches, "like those sites that pop up after new installation or uninstallation" perfect !
-also there is a white list for the applications to launch links unaffected , "if you have set a general block that is"

A quick tutorial on how to reach that filter window within comodo is
->main menu ->defense->advanced->computer security policy->"find all applications header entry"->click edit->click "access rights"->add firefox or iexplore exefiles into blocked tab.
these steps immunize that particular application against outer windows message pumps.

There may be other ways to do this , but im perfectly happy with this solution .
Internet explorer and firefox can be immunized against unwanted external actions.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by avatar332 on May 9th, 2010, 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Thanks for the feedback.
It just might help others in a similar situation.