User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DanRaisch

Re: No new mail notification

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.
nebelnic

Post by nebelnic »

I have done everything You have suggested: delete all msf files , compact every forlders.
It doesn't solve anything.
I have 2 imap account.
For example , this morning the first one was Ok: I had notification when new mails arrive. The other one didn't notified new email.
Now I have no notification for both of them.
I'm coming back to thunderbird 2.0 to see if this problem also occurs.
nebelnic

Post by nebelnic »

I have tried 1st to upgrade to thunderbird 3.1b2
just to check if it solve something:
same problem.
I have downgrade to thunderbird 2.0.0.24.
I have notification for both imap account again!
It seems to have something to do with thunderbird 3 ...

PS: I have seen this problem with XP and vista on 2 different PC.
warmbowski

Post by warmbowski »

I had problems with new mail notification popups as well (the icon appeared but the popup wouldn't). Setting mail.imap.use_status_for_biff to false made my popups work consistently again.

Read this: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Offline_folders
And this: http://forums-test.mozillazine.org/view ... 9&t=659463

for more info. It may have to do with the email server that your client connects to. In my case it was Zimbra 5.0.
Jeroen Oomen

Post by Jeroen Oomen »

@warmbowski:

Thanx, had the same issue, but this setting fixed it (whatever it does...).

Jeroen Oomen
robin84

Post by robin84 »

I'm having the exact same problem and none of the tips in this thread solved it.

Notifcation works perfectly for all my pop3 accounts but the imap account won't notify me. Any more ideas?

Robin
Chris65468

Post by Chris65468 »

Hello,

I'm just checking in to say I'm having this issue (at random) as well and it's quite annoying to say the least. I've tried all of the tips and work-arounds in the posts above and I'm using IMAP as well.

I can make it to work (so-so) by ticking "Play a sound" in addition to "Show an alert." :?

However, as soon as I change to another folder the 'new messages' notification disappears even though I still have unread messages in the folder I just switched to, or in other folders. And if I untick "Play a sound" it stops working again. For me, this is reproducible. :cry:

Thankfully I can mute Thunderbird through the Volume Mixer so this work-around will do until a fix is issued. :wink:

Currently "working" config: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2.9) Gecko/20100915 Lightning/1.0b2 Thunderbird/3.1.4
nebelnic

Post by nebelnic »

I'm back here on this post a few month later and I still have the same issue.
Email notification working randomly with imap account!
I have post comments on bugzilla since a few month on a bug reported one year ago:

[Bug 531002] New Message Notification pop-up window inconsistent behavior
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=531002

1. Install thunderbird 3
2. Create an Imap account, configured to alert when New messages arrive (pop up
and sound)
3. Send a message to your own email address (from another account with a
webmail for example)
4. Wait for new message to arrive in your mailbox with thunderbird main window
open or not.

Actual Results:
New Mail notification pop-up windows may only work the first time thunderbird
is working (sometime even don't work for the 1st use!). When restarted
Thunderbird don't generate new mail notification.
Notification may also work for a few day, stop work, then work again but most of time not working at all.

To clarify: New Mail notification pop-up windows is working randomly!

I never get any answer about this on bugzilla.

Happy to see here that I'm not alone with this bug.

------
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; fr; rv:1.9.2.9) Gecko/20100915 Thunderbird/3.1.4
mycopok

Post by mycopok »

I had the same problem with tb 3.1.x under windows 7.
The problem has disappeared when I've changed compatibility settings for thunderbird:

Tb shortcut / Properties / Compatibility / Change settings for all users /
[x] Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)
DonpK

Post by DonpK »

I have started having a similar problem. The new mail notification icon in the tray works fine, however, the "Play a sound" option has stopped working, both with the "default system sound for new mail" and "Use the following sound file". I am using version 3.1.4.

I have tried the suggestions in this thread, without success. Is it possible to downgrade to previous versions to see if that corrects the problem? If so, where do I find these earlier versions?

Don
nebelnic

Post by nebelnic »

mycopok wrote:I had the same problem with tb 3.1.x under windows 7.
The problem has disappeared when I've changed compatibility settings for thunderbird:

Tb shortcut / Properties / Compatibility / Change settings for all users /
[x] Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)

I have this problem with windows vista SP2 and also with Windows xp.
I have it with two different internet provider. At home and at work.
and with 3 imap account from 3 different server...
Carlos_1972

Post by Carlos_1972 »

mypokop, your suggestion (changing compatibility mode) worked for me. I was having the "new email not playing sound" issue - the small pop up notification worked fine, though.
Thanks for sharing your solution, at least it worked for me!! :) :)
mystrdat

Post by mystrdat »

Same problem, Thunderbird 3.1.5 on Win 7 32bit, no new mail notification for an IMAP account (no popup, no sound).
Compacting folders, setting compatibility, running as admin etc. doesn't help one bit. There seems to be something rotten in the land of Thunderbird.

edit: Rolling back to 2.0.0.24 does help, the notifications all start working. This is certainly a problem associated with the new versions. Also it's only a problem with IMAP, POP works just fine.

edit2: Noticed a strange behavior associated with the bug - when a new mail is ready in an IMAP folder when Thunderbird isn't running, it MIGHT play the sound (or display notification) once when executed and the mails are checked on program start. It MIGHT is a chance of about 20% as I observed. After the program is run, it will not display anymore popups for new mails or play sounds for IMAP accounts.
tia13

Post by tia13 »

So, was this ever resolved? I too, am having the same problem. I am running Win7 32bit on this machine and XP on another. Rolled back to 2.0 on my WinXP machine and have the icon and the "normal" alert sound. When I do get an email on the Win7 machine it is a sound like someone ringing a doorbell (I hate it ) but even THAT is intermittent and I don't think I have ever gotten the envelope icon. My task bar icon is set correctly, compacted, etc. etc....

Considering this post goes back well over a year and it has been sent in as a bug (with no reply, to my understanding) what's up? Have I missed a patch or update somewhere? I came across this thread while searching for an answer to this problem.

thanks for your help
PhillyEd

Re: No new mail notification sound

Post by PhillyEd »

In Windows 7, try this:
right-click on thunderbird.exe select "run as administrator"

Worked for me.