File download - save data to disk, not memory

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
athei

File download - save data to disk, not memory

Post by athei »

Hello,
When I'm downloading sth in FF data goes to memory not to disk like in other browsers (IE, O, Ch).
For example I'm downloading OO from filehippo (140MB) and everything goes to memory - 140MB.
Memory usage grows to 300MB.
I want FF use 70MB as on beginning and save data when downloading to disk, f.e. every 1min or every 5MB.
What to do?
RichardGv

Re: File download - save data to disk, not memory

Post by RichardGv »

What? Firefox stores partially downloaded file in .part files, in the same directory the finished file will be stored in, at least on my Linux it is. Your memory usage has nothing to do with the download process.
The memory usage of Firefox will possibly grow during browsing. So it's not so surprising that you will see a 2-3 times of growth of memory usage after using it for half an hour.
If your memory usage is abnormally high, please take a look at: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Reducing_memo ... e_(Firefox)
athei

Post by athei »

Yes I know there is .part file. Data at the same time goes to disk to the .part file and also grows memory usage.
--
I started FF in safe mode, and everything was ok.
Problem was caused by Firebug extension. Strange, because I have all panels in Firebug disabled and I clicked "disable all panels" some time. Everything was ok after I clicked "Clear activation list".
RichardGv

Post by RichardGv »

I test with my Firefox 3.6.3, Firebug 1.5.4 (with all Firebug tabs open), on my Gentoo Linux. But cannot reproduce it.
Would you mind filing a bug report to Firebug developers: http://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/list