How to uninstall plugins?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
abcuser

How to uninstall plugins?

Post by abcuser »

Hi,
I know I can uninstall extensions, but how to uninstall plugins in FF v3.6 on Windows? There is only "Disable" button in Firefox. Bellow is a print-screen from my browser. I would like to uninstall most of this plugins. How?
Thanks
Alice

Re: How to uninstall plugins?

Post by Alice »

The "Java Deployment Toolkit" that is highlighted in your list of plugins is part of Java and is an insecure version. It's been blocklisted. See: https://www.mozilla.com/blocklist/
Java Deployment Toolkit, versions 6.0.200.0 and older. Reason: security vulnerabilities (see bug 558584).

According to Secunia Advisory SA39260 you should update to Java 6 Update 20 to resolve the issue. Note that, according to US-Cert Vulnerability Note VU#886582 updating to Java 6 Update 20 may still leave you vulnerable to the exploit in some cases. After updating Java you should search for and remove any remaining copies of "npdeploytk.dll" (or rename to "Xnpdeploytk.dll", which is what I did). See this forum topic for more information:
http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=111317

Your list of plugins shows an outdated Java 5 Update 22 plugin. You should make sure to uninstall older Java versions and remove any outdated Java files in your Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins folder. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Java#On_Windows if you need help updating or uninstalling Java. For help with other plugins, read http://kb.mozillazine.org/Issues_related_to_plugins and go through the related articles here http://kb.mozillazine.org/Category:Plugins
Alice Wyman
Romin-1

Post by Romin-1 »

I use 'Java Ra' to uninstall the older versions of java on my PCs. Google it then run it. Very user friendly.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
KrisM2

Post by KrisM2 »

Alice wrote:The "Java Deployment Toolkit" that is highlighted in your list of plugins is part of Java and is an insecure version. It's been blocklisted. See: https://www.mozilla.com/blocklist/
Java Deployment Toolkit, versions 6.0.200.0 and older. Reason: security vulnerabilities (see bug 558584).

According to Secunia Advisory SA39260 you should update to Java 6 Update 20 to resolve the issue. Note that, according to US-Cert Vulnerability Note VU#886582 updating to Java 6 Update 20 may still leave you vulnerable to the exploit in some cases. After updating Java you should search for and remove any remaining copies of "npdeploytk.dll" (or rename to "Xnpdeploytk.dll", which is what I did). See this forum topic for more information:
http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=111317

Your list of plugins shows an outdated Java 5 Update 22 plugin. You should make sure to uninstall older Java versions and remove any outdated Java files in your Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins folder. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Java#On_Windows if you need help updating or uninstalling Java. For help with other plugins, read http://kb.mozillazine.org/Issues_related_to_plugins and go through the related articles here http://kb.mozillazine.org/Category:Plugins

Thanks for this, Alice! didn't realize 6 20 was out - new! - did not find npdeploytk. Thanks!
-- ThinkPad P15s-Gen1-20T4-002KUS, i7-10510U, UEFI/GPT, 16GB, Sammy 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2.
- others -
-laserjets: HP M254dw color, HP P1606dn. Epson Perfection 2480 flatbed scanner -
dachus

Post by dachus »

i checked around the recommended links above and i typed in about:plugins to the address bar to see what i have installed and what came up for java is below..

I have a ton of old applets enabled, which I can't find located anywhere except on the list. It doesn't show up in the Firefox plugin list in the "Add On" popup.

First question: are all those old applets a problem? Second question: if it is a problem, where can I find it? I searched in Program files, Control Panel, Firefox plugin window, etc.

Thanks.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U18
File: npjp2.dll
Version: 6.0.180.7
Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_18 for Mozilla browsers

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-java-applet Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-vm Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1 Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.1 Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1 Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1 Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2 Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2 Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.3 Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.3 Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.2 Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.2 Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.3 Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.3 Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.2 Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.2 Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.1 Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.1 Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.3.1 Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.3.1 Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4 Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4 Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.1 Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.1 Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.2 Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.2 Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.5 Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.5 Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.6 Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.6 Yes
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.6.0_18 Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.6.0_18 Yes
Alice

Post by Alice »

kristiQ,
You're welcome :)

dachus,
The important part of your about:plugins list is Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U18 (don't worry about the MIME type version numbers). You have Java 6 Update 18, which is insecure. You need to update to Java 6 Update 20, which you can do from the Java Control Panel's Update tab. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Java#On_Windows if you need help updating Java.
Alice Wyman
dachus

Post by dachus »

thanks alice
abcuser

Post by abcuser »

I have searched little bit more and found out:
1. IE Tab Plug-in came with IE Tab extension that I don't have installed anymore for some months. How can I find out if some fils have left on my Windows machine - so no proper uninstall was done by removing extension.
2. I don't have Java 6 installed on my system anymore (for months), but there is still plugin listed on the Add-ons/Plugins web page.

How does "Plugins List" works in Firefox? Is there some Windows registry or something like this? I would like to clean-up this list in such a way if there is some file left on the system I would like to remove them.
abcuser

Post by abcuser »

Hi,
I have solved the problem.

I did the following:
1. In location bar I have entered command: about:config
2. In Filter inbox I entered: plugin.expose_full_path and double clicked on false Value to turn it to true.
(It is not recommended to have this settings on when browsing, so latter I will turn it off).
3. In location bar I have entered command: about:plugins
4. Because of step 2, now there are full file paths displayed.
5. For IE Tab Plug-in there is file: C:\Documents and Settings\[my_name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\1mc9k0m7.default\extensions\ietab@ip.cn\plugins\npCoralIETab.dll
which I see not that this file is not from old "IE Tab" extension but from "Coral IE Tab" extension, that I need and should not be removed. Problem solved.
6. It is little bit more difficult to get file name for "Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.160.1", because it was automatically disabled (can't be manually enabled) so there is no path in about:plugins. So I have just opened Windows Explorer and open folder: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins then for each file in this folder right click and select Properties. I have found out that file npdeploytk.dll is actually "Java Deployment Toolking" plugin. Deleted the file and problem is solved.

P.S. Set back plugin.expose_full_path variable to false (security reasons - see step 2)!
Thanks a lot for help. Problem solved.
Regards
Alice

Post by Alice »

abcuser wrote:6. It is little bit more difficult to get file name for "Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.160.1", because it was automatically disabled (can't be manually enabled) so there is no path in about:plugins. So I have just opened Windows Explorer and open folder: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins then for each file in this folder right click and select Properties. I have found out that file npdeploytk.dll is actually "Java Deployment Toolking" plugin. Deleted the file and problem is solved.

If you did a Windows search for "npdeploytk.dll" you should have found all copies. In my post here I wrote:
Before I installed JRE 6 Update 20 I had noticed that the "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\new_plugin\" folder had an old 6.0.130.3 version of npdeploytk.dll ...which I "disabled" by renaming the file. I've now updated to JRE 6u20 and no remaining copies of "npdeploytk.dll" exist (other than the renamed copy) . In addition to npdeployJava1.dll in the "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin" folder, Firefox has a copy of npdeployJava1.dll in it's own plugins folder, which it is detecting.

In other words, after updating to Java 6 Update 20, the C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins folder should have included an updated and enabled Java Deployment Toolkit plugin named npdeployJava1.dll and the old npdeploytk.dll file should have been gone from that location (it was for me). If an old npdeploytk.dll plugin remained there (or in the "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\new_plugin\" folder) then it would still show up in the Tools -> Add-ons -> Plugins list as "Java Deployment Toolkit" with the old version number but it should be disabled by the blocklist. If the OLD version is still enabled it should be manually disabled. If you want to get the OLD version of the Java Deployment Toolkit out of the Plugins list you can delete all copies of the file npdeploytk.dll from your system (or rename to Xnpdeploytk.dll ).

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to solve the problem. Thanks for posting back.
Alice Wyman
XRaiderV1

Post by XRaiderV1 »

this is my current version:

this is the toolkit entry that I cant figure out how to remove:

my browser: firefox 3.5.9

can someone detail precise and exact instructions on removing the old entry, which is inactive?
anything and everything that could possibly go wrong can and probably will.
KrisM2

Post by KrisM2 »

XRaiderV1 wrote:this is my current version:

can someone detail precise and exact instructions on removing the old entry, which is inactive?

What happens when you install 6.20 ?
In other words, go to http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp download and install 6.20 .

Alternatively, go to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins and tell me what is there with the name npdeploy*.dll
-- ThinkPad P15s-Gen1-20T4-002KUS, i7-10510U, UEFI/GPT, 16GB, Sammy 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2.
- others -
-laserjets: HP M254dw color, HP P1606dn. Epson Perfection 2480 flatbed scanner -
gaz999

Post by gaz999 »

XRaiderV1 wrote:this is my current version:

The old toolkit entry remained behind for me also. What I did was right click Firefox Browser shortcut and then right click Mozilla Firefox from the menu. Select "run as administrator" and then when the browser opens go to your add ons list and then you will have the option to "uninstall" the old toolkit!
raju85

Post by raju85 »

#-o but my problem is that from C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins i do not find any file name npdeploytk.dll but in my add-ons list i find java console 6.0.17 which only i can enable or disable.i am using latest version of java.science my java update i am not able to play any internet base game like treasure island from facebook.i try by remove my java and install latest version again but no result.i am using firefox version 3.6.3.please any one help me what can i do. :shock:
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

raju85 wrote:...please any one help me what can i do. :shock:

Read the post that is five above yours - viewtopic.php?p=9187585#p9187585
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)