[Ext] Save File to 2.5.5 - 2016-02-21

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
ake79

Re: [Ext] Save File to 2.0.1 - 2010-03-24

Post by ake79 »

Release 2.0.1 - ChangeLog

A couple minor bug fixes. New translation: hu-HU.
My extensions: Save File to | ThumbsDown
avasc

Post by avasc »

Congratulations on the great plugin, I've been using for quite a long time already. I found what I believe to be a bug: when I click on a link in Outlook or any other external link, it opens the save to dialog in Firefox, but I can't save using the Ctrl+Click to choose a folder. When I click on the folder, it doesn't start the download, the dialog just closes. Any chance of fixing this? Also, I am from Brazil, and brazilian portuguese is not exactly the same as in Portugal, so I would like to have the option to choose the language instead of auto-detecting it, so I can choose English for example.

Thanks a lot and congratulations again.
Andre
ake79

Post by ake79 »

Thanks, Andre.

I found what I believe to be a bug: when I click on a link in Outlook or any other external link, it opens the save to dialog in Firefox, but I can't save using the Ctrl+Click to choose a folder. When I click on the folder, it doesn't start the download, the dialog just closes. Any chance of fixing this?

I tested that and it worked for me. Assuming I understood the problem correctly. I tested it with Office Outlook 2007 and Firefox 3.6. I ctrl+clicked a file link in Outlook and it opened a dialog in Firefox. I selected folder from Save File to menu button, and dialog closed and the file was downloaded ok.

Do you see any errors in Firefox's error console (Tools > Error Console) relating to this?

Also, I am from Brazil, and brazilian portuguese is not exactly the same as in Portugal, so I would like to have the option to choose the language instead of auto-detecting it, so I can choose English for example.

There actually is a brazialian portuguese (pt-BR) translation for Save File to in BabelZilla that was updated recently. It has all the strings translated, but the translator hasn't released it yet, so I haven't included it in the official release. You could try contacting the translator to ask if needs help with it.

It's not possible to control individual extension's language, so what you are asking is not really possible. If there's a translation available it is used. In your case, it auto-detects to portuguese (pt-PT) that's included in Save File to.

I guess you can 1) change the default language of the whole browser, 2) remove portuguese (pt-PT) translation from the extension, or 3) wait for pt-BR to be included in the extension.

Sorry for the delay in answering.
ake79

Re: [Ext] Save File to 2.0.2 - 2010-05-29

Post by ake79 »

Release 2.0.2 - ChangeLog

Added translations: fr, pl, pt-BR
zegames

Post by zegames »

Any fix for Firefox 3.7a5+ ?
ake79

Post by ake79 »

I haven't tried to make Save File to compatible with upcoming ff versions until first release candidates show up.

What's the problem with 3.7? Is Save File to completely broken there? I assume you have disabled compatibility checking.
zegames

Post by zegames »

All features are working very well, except the most important, save file after select the folder in download dialogue. OK button return no action.

I hope you can release a small fix, since rc version of ff 4 will be released only in october. Many time to live without this save time addon, specially for those like me who uses the nightly builds all time instead of regular edition. :~~
ake79

Post by ake79 »

I tested ff3.7a4 and I couldn't reproduce that problem. Though, I did find other bugs. I guess I could test latest nightly builds later.

Do you see any errors in error console (Tools > Error Console) when you try to save files from that dialog? And do you have any other extensions that integrate with that same dialog?
zegames

Post by zegames »

The problem to save the file has recently started with 3.7a5 builds, alpha 4 line works fine.

The strange thing is no error in console.

I was able to reproduce the problem with a fresh nightly today build with only Add-on Compatibility Reporter (allow bypass version limit to install addons) and Save File to installed.

Build information:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; en-US; rv:1.9.3a5pre) Gecko/20100531 Minefield/3.7a5pre (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) - Build ID: 20100531040317
ake79

Post by ake79 »

Release 2.1a1

This should fix the problem in save dialog that zegames reported. There are some other minor bugs but they shouldn't prevent using the extension.

Note that 2.1a1 is only compatible with ff3.7, not earlier versions. Or at least it should work in ff3.7a5, where I tested it.

Available from mozdev only: http://savefileto.mozdev.org/installation.html
zegames

Post by zegames »

ake79 wrote:Release 2.1a1

This should fix the problem in save dialog that zegames reported.

Problem solved!

Thank you
egarrulo

Feedback

Post by egarrulo »

This is a very nice add-on.

I think it has a major flaw: it does not warn when you are overwriting an existing file (at least on Firefox 3.6.6 / Windows XP SP3).

I also think that it would be nice if the "Save here" option would be to on the right of the folder name, since whenever a folder as a lot of subfolders, it's a bit cumbersome to reach to the top of the list. Having a recent used folders list already available, however, kind of mitigates this issue.

Thanks.
egarrulo

Post by egarrulo »

No major flaw, sorry.

Existing files are not overwritten. It happens the default behavior of Firefox: the file is saved with an auto-generated unique name.
ake79

Re: Feedback

Post by ake79 »

egarrulo wrote:This is a very nice add-on.

Thanks.

egarrulo wrote:...it does not warn when you are overwriting an existing file...
...the default behavior of Firefox: the file is saved with an auto-generated unique name.

Yes, that's the way it currently works.

Filename conflict resolution support, instead of that auto-renaming, is the most requested new feature. And I'm actually implementing that conflict support to next version.

No idea when it will be ready. Hopefully before ff4. Though, last time I planned to do something on my summer vacation, it was finished in January and released in February.

egarrulo wrote:I also think that it would be nice if the "Save here" option would be to on the right of the folder name, since whenever a folder as a lot of subfolders, it's a bit cumbersome to reach to the top of the list. Having a recent used folders list already available, however, kind of mitigates this issue.

Yes, I understand the problem, but I don't see any real solution to it. That's just the way sub-menus work. Do you have any ideas?

I myself have set folders per menu setting so that menus always fit my screen. That way at least I don't have to scroll the sub-menus if their normal height would exceed my screen's height.
ake79

Post by ake79 »

Release 2.1a2

Gecko 2.0 XPCOM component registration changes. Should now work with current nightly builds.

Note that 2.1a2 is only compatible with ff4.0b2pre and later, not earlier versions.

Available from mozdev only: http://savefileto.mozdev.org/installation.html

Previous release: 2.1a1