email account will not recognize outgoing server

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
wlburns

email account will not recognize outgoing server

Post by wlburns »

Greetings

I have been on the phone all day with service providers trying to resolve a problem in my email account and I have been told it is a Thunderbird problem.

My incoming server is: mail.telus.net
My outgoing server is. smtp.xplornet.com

I can receive mail but I cannot send mail.

When I try to send mail my telus account overides the xplornet.com address and will not read it.

We have recently moved into a new location and have had to install satalite internet. I would like to keep my email address if possible which is (email removed)

Please help...I was given a number to contact Thunderbird and of course it was yet another dead end.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Wendy Burns

[edit]Email address removed. No mail support offered here but harvesting robots are possible. danraisch (moderator)[/edit]
Rod Whiteley

Re: email account will not recognize outgoing server

Post by Rod Whiteley »

I do not understand exactly what goes wrong when you try to send mail. Is there an error message? If so, exactly what does it say?

In Thunderbird's Account Settings, on the account's main page, the Outgoing Server (SMTP) field specifies which server is used to send mail by default. Go to the Outgoing Server (SMTP) page, the last page in Account Settings, to see the detailed settings for that server. Edit those settings and ensure that the Server Name is correct there.

The server smtp.xplornet.com works for me on port 587.
Rod

Post by Guest »

Thanks Rod for the help

Yes the outgoing server information is correct.

the message when trying to send email says ....an error occured while sending message. Relay access denied. When I send the mail it trys to connect to smtp.telus.net
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

That makes no sense to me. Where did Thunderbird get the name smtp.telus.net if you did not specify it somewhere in the settings?

A geeky approach is to close Thunderbird, then use your operating system tools to find Thunderbird's profile and find the file prefs.js there. Make a backup copy of the file in case of accidents. Use a text editor like Notepad to edit the file. Search in the file for smtp.telus.net and change it to smtp.xplornet.com, taking care not to disturb anything else.
Rod
mike_noodles

Post by mike_noodles »

The problem is that Xplornet sucks. With their smtp server you need authentication via an xplornet mail address. Once you have done that, the problem is that when people respond to your emails, they will automatically go to your xplornet.ca account, not your third party account (e.g. hotmail, webmail, etc.). I am currently trying to get them to resolve this issue, I wish you much luck.