new to thunderbird, how to log out from thunderbird

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
jackson6612

new to thunderbird, how to log out from thunderbird

Post by jackson6612 »

I'm using Thunderbird 3. I have never used an e-mail client before. I have already set up my Gmail account in Thunderbird. When we use Gmail service on the web after checking out the e-mails we can sign out and no one can see our personal e-mails. How to sign out from Thunderbird? I have closed it several times but my e-mail folders are still there and anyone can read my e-mails. Thunderbird doesn't even ask for the password. I want it to work just like a web-mail service. Please help me with this. Thanks
DanRaisch

Re: new to thunderbird, how to log out from thunderbird

Post by DanRaisch »

Did you set up the Gmail account as POP or IMAP?
Did you set Thunderbird to remember the password for the account and to submit it automatically when you launch Thunderbird? If so, and if you wish to manually enter the password each time you access that account, go to TOOLS > OPTIONS > SECURITY > PASSWORDS > SAVED PASSWORDS button and there you can delete old passwords. The next time you "Get Mail" Thunderbird will ask for the password.
jackson6612

Post by jackson6612 »

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Set up as IMAP. Yes, now it ask for the password. Isn't there any way that it doesn't remember my account name etc when I close i? How we log out from Thunderbird? The biggest problem is still there. Even when I'm offline and have closed Thunderbird several times, Gmail folders and my personal emails are still there and anyone can view them even without the password. I hope you understand the problem.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

jackson6612 wrote:Even when I'm offline and have closed Thunderbird several times, Gmail folders and my personal emails are still there and anyone can view them even without the password.

When you launch Thunderbird it connects to the Gmail account. That connection is not active and the messages are not accessible when Thunderbird is closed. If you are asking for a way to require a password before Thunderbird will display your messages when it is launched, see this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_password and this one -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Protect_the_profiles_contents
jackson6612

Post by jackson6612 »

Actually I wanted to say that whenever someone opens Thunderbird my Gmail folders and messages are there. The second link you provided says:

Use an IMAP account. By default, IMAP stores messages on remote folders which you can access as if they're local folders. This doesn't protect your address book or other files in your profile, but it does simplify things since it does not download the message body to your hard disk, even when you're reading it. Somebody could still use any passwords you stored in the Password Manager unless you set a master password.

Thunderbird 3 by default enables message synchronization. You need to disable that in Tools -> Account Settings -> Synchronization & Storage if you want to only store messages in remote folders.

There is no way to turn off syn.

It further says: ''since it does not download the message body to your hard disk, even when you're reading it.''

Is this correct? Because my messages are there on my computer.

Can you suggest some simple to protect my privacy because it's a shared computer? Can you please also tell me if Yahoo Mail (free version) uses POP or IMAP protocol? I used Thunderbird to access my Yahoo account it chose POP protocol.

Thanks a lot for all this help.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

A free Yahoo account would be POP type access and the messages would be stored on the local drive.

What did you mean about "There is no way to turn off syn"? Did you follow the menu path listed above (Tools -> Account Settings -> Synchronization & Storage) and uncheck "Keep messages for this account on this computer"?
jackson6612

Post by jackson6612 »

Sorry, I have already turned off syn. There were some other under sync and storage window I was talking about.

There are still some parts in my previous message which requires your attention. Please have a look. And I know it doesn't seem nice to ask but is there any other e-mail client which doesn't have that issue with the privacy I'm facing. Thanks.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

jackson6612 wrote:Sorry, I have already turned off syn. There were some other under sync and storage window I was talking about.

There are still some parts in my previous message which requires your attention. Please have a look. And I know it doesn't seem nice to ask but is there any other e-mail client which doesn't have that issue with the privacy I'm facing. Thanks.

Having switched off the synch function, those other options are not relevant in your installation.

What other questions, specifically, are you referring to?
jackson6612

Post by jackson6612 »

Hi Dan Raisch

Thanks a lot for all the help. Some of the issues are solved. I have downloaded that extension which is used to password-protect the profile. Although protection is easy to bypass as the author has pointed out himself, it will do for now. If I have some other issue(s) in future I will contact you. Once again, thank you.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're very welcome.
jackson6612

Post by jackson6612 »

Hi Dan

Can you please tell me if there is any web-mail service which also indexes the content of attached documents for search results? I know it's a general question, not directly related to Thunderbird but who else would I have asked to?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Sorry but I'm not aware of any webmail service that permits searching within attachments to email messages.
jackson6612

Post by jackson6612 »

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

I have observed some new things about GMail. When I forward/e-mail a message to myself, GMail stores copies in Inbox and Sent folders. But the copies in the background have one root. I mean to say if the copy is deleted from Sent folder, then it automatically gets deleted from the Inbox folder too. The same is true for other folders such [Imap]/Sent, [Imap]/Drafts, etc. On the other hand in Yahoo! Mail each copy has its own place. Perhaps, GMail does this to save space. But they should in someway warn the user about deleting messages from the Sent folder. I would have just deleted the messages from the Sent folder which would have resulted deleting them the Inbox as well. Do you have anything to say on this? Is there any way to overcome this problem? Please let me know. Thanks.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're talking about two different types of servers. Yahoo is a POP type account while you have Gmail set up as an IMAP type account. That means there will be significant differences in the way things work between the two. Add to that the fact that Gmail does not really offer "folders" but only labels and it accounts for what you have seen. Messages on Gmail are all stored in "All Mail". Messages shown as being in IMAP Sent, IMAP Drafts, etc are simply labeled on the server so that they will be displayed when filtered to show the particular folder.
jackson6612

Post by jackson6612 »

Thanks a lot for the information. Best wishes.