Thunderbird is sending the ip of my pc when sending emails

Post by garfy »

Can i disable that?

Is that possible?

I dont want that in every email you can see my real ip adress
Rod Whiteley

Re: Thunderbird is sending the ip of my pc when sending emails

Post by Rod Whiteley »

Use the Config Editor to set mail.smtpserver.default.hello_argument or to create it as a new String preference if it does not exist. Mine is set to: localhost   You can also set different values for different SMTP servers, if necessary.
Rod
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Note that this will only hide whatever Thunderbird adds as the greeting (which, by default on Windows, is the IP address of your local machine - thus, if it's behind a DSL or cable modem, it will be the internal-network address assigned by that modem). The address by which you are connected with the provider (i.e., the one used by the DSL or cable modem to talk to the rest of the world) is usually logged by the receiving server on your provider's side, thus there is no way to prevent that.
garfy

Post by garfy »

Rod Whiteley wrote:Use the Config Editor to set mail.smtpserver.default.hello_argument or to create it as a new String preference if it does not exist. Mine is set to: localhost   You can also set different values for different SMTP servers, if necessary.

can you please be more detailed, I am a newbie, I know where config is, but i need exact line please and exactly what to do (right click on that line and modify it ....????)

Thank you
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

You go into Tools > Options > Advanced > General and click Config Editor there (you got that far). Then, copy-paste the preference you need into the search bar or enter part of it. Most likely, this preference isn't found (if it is, simply double-click on the entry to modify it). From the right-click menu, use New > String, enter the preference name (Ok), and the preference value (another Ok). Send a message to yourself and verify in the source that the last "Received" header (i.e., the first of the sequence) contains the chosen string now rather than the IP address.
garfy

Post by garfy »

Ok I created new string
mail.smtpserver.default.hello_argument

and set it to localhost, still it send s out ip, is there a way to fix this
garfy

Post by garfy »

Received: from [123.xxx.xxx.199] (helo=localhost)
by box524.bluehost.com with esmtpa (Exim 4.69)
(envelope-from <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx.org>)
id 1OKmMa-0004yr-7h

So this is not working i think
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

Thunderbird does not send out any Received header. You can see that by looking in your Sent folder. A Received header is created by a server when the message is received.
Rod
garfy

Post by garfy »

so how to hide that?
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Thunderbird sends out the "(helo=localhost)" information, the "Received: from [123.xxx.xxx.199]" is the stamp from the receiving server (i.e., this is beyond Thunderbird's control at this point as it happens after Thunderbird has handed off the message to the ISP's server for relaying). Thus sorry, but if the provider decides to disclose that address (and most do), it's part of the message header.