Get rid of 'smart folders'

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
pdsimdars

Get rid of 'smart folders'

Post by pdsimdars »

I don't know if this is the right place for this but Thunderbird USED to be such a nice straight forward email client to use. But since they 'improved' it, it has become a nightmare.
Here's the problem. I had the standard email account with inbox, sent, etc and the other folders I had set up. But now, there's an 'inbox' and under that is my account and then a 'local folders' which contains none of my folders, they are down below. Same for the 'sent', there's a subdivision for my account and the 'local folders' sub. same for trash. Then there is the header for 'local folders' that contains my local folders.
NOT TO MENTION, that I thought maybe I should check for updates and it updated it and created another listing of my email account in the middle of this 'smart folders' list. Is a way to get rid of all this 'smart' nonsense and get back to my nice simple, straight forward email? I want to keep the content of my inbox and sent mail and all my folders, but how to I do that and get rid of all these ridiculous folders within folders, etc. that is supposedly the 'improvement'?
Thanks
Florida
rsx11m

Re: WTF

Post by rsx11m »

By default, TB 3.0 shows the "Smart Folders" view (assuming that you are using 3.0, since the Builds forum is for development discussion of the upcoming 3.1 and later releases). Find the little arrows on the right side of the folder-pane headings, then cycle it until "All Folders" appears. This is the classic 2.0 default view.
Daifne

Re: Get rid of 'smart folders'

Post by Daifne »

Moving to Thunderbird Support

I also edited your subject to something that will get you help...
pdsimdars

Post by pdsimdars »

I went to the arrows . . .. now, that is BRILLIANT!
Should have known better than to doubt.

Really, I just went and looked at it again and it is perfect.
Thanks again.
Florida
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

You are welcome. Unless one opts out of the new features in the migration dialog from 2.0 to 3.0, they are set to be the default (the Smart Folders are one of those features).

Post by Guest »

I use filters to file my incoming emails to the correct folders, so the message "unread folders" view is really useful.

Post by Guest »

How do I permanently remove smart folders. Do not want or need them!!!!! There was a reason I separated my emails. Now you put them all back to gather and filling my hard drive. Sorry but you just ruined a great program

Post by Guest »

As I understand, smart folders are not "real" folders. They are just a way of displaying the folders you use. Therefore, it doesn't make sense to "get rid of" the smart folders.

The solution is just to set TB to show "All folders" as described above.
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

The Smart Folders view relies on a hidden account, and the hidden account contains real folders. It would be possible for an extension to hide the Smart Folders view, so that you can cycle between the other views without ever seeing Smart Folders. It would then be possible to delete the hidden account and its folders. This is something I might add to the Mail Tweak extension in the future.
Rod
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

Here is a Binding that hides the Smart Folders view. (If the knowledge base is still down, the page is cached at: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... g/Bindings )

The binding is:

Code: Select all

<binding id="folderpane">
  <implementation>
    <constructor><![CDATA[
      var reg = gFolderTreeView.registerMode
      gFolderTreeView.registerMode = function (id, gen, title) {
        if (id != "smart") reg.call(gFolderTreeView, id, gen, title)
        }
      ]]></constructor>
    </implementation>
  </binding>

And the CSS is:

Code: Select all

#folderPaneBox {
  -moz-binding: url(chrome://userchrome/content/userChrome.xml#folderpane);
  }
Rod
mandywr14

Post by mandywr14 »

Baffled. I find I am now offered something called smart folders. I do not know what this means. I am used to normal folders which I use to store emails according to a grouping that I choose , so what is different about smart ones. Is it offerring something someone has decided I need , and if so, what? I understand how to get rid of them, but what am I getting rid of?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Nothing. Smart Folders is simply a different view of your message data structure. Switching from Smart Folder to All Folders doesn't delete anything, it simply displays your available mail accounts/folders in a different way, the way that earlier versions of TB did.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Just click on the ◄ or ► symbols above the folder pane to cylcle through the various folder display options. If you don't like the Smart Folders option, don't use it.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers