[Ext] Context Search 0.4.3

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
bIOHZRd

Post by bIOHZRd »

Lazlo Woodbine wrote:Not really similar to this extension at all, in my opinion,

I'm not sure how you figure this at all. What I'm looking for or looking into creating deals with the exact same sequence of mouse clicks...
1. Select text
2. right click on text
3. pick a menu item from newly created context menu
4. the selected item directs the browser to open a new tab or window with a specific URL

The only way it is different is that this extension takes the selected text and places it into a search string before submitting the URL to the browser for display. All I want it to do is open that tab/window with the selected text as the URL. See how that is almost EXACTLY similar?

Lazlo Woodbine wrote: and definitely should have been asked in a separate thread;

Thats why I said "Thanks for any help, and sorry for threadjacking :)"

Lazlo Woodbine wrote:that's of course after you'd searched and not found an answer.

Your question has already been asked and answered in this thread:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=133000

I'm not sure if you placed the wrong threadnumber in there, but that thread deals with launching an external application upon exit of firefox. I'm not seeing how this is similar in any way shape or form of my request. And yes, I did search and not find an answer. Thank you.

Maybe the author could help me?
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

sLeePie

Post by sLeePie »

Sorry if this is a completely noob question, but is there any way to choose which search engines show up in the menu? At the moment I've got 5 Amazon.coms, 5 Googles, and 4 Yahoos. Needless to say I won't be using them all.
People only use common insults when they have no better argument to offer, and threats are the last resort of a person with no vocabulary.
rmjb

Post by rmjb »

You just need to add new engines to the mycroft search box in the upper right hand corner of your Firefox. Just click on the icon in the box and you'll see a list of your installed search engines with an entry at the bottom for Add Engines, click that and you'll be able to add new engines as you need.

- rmjb
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

You covered "Add", but how about "Remove"?
rmjb

Post by rmjb »

That's tricky. Browse to your Firefox folder, in windows it's usually in Program Files\Mozilla Firefox and you'll see a searchplugins folder. In there just delete files that have the name of the engines you no longer want. Don't worry about messing it up, you can always add the engines back using the method above.

- rmjb
MvD

Post by MvD »

Yeah, it would nice if they made a UI for adding/deleting/reordering engines
If God is the answer, it must have been a very stupid question. - Someone on the net
CPU-Z Info|Firefox Info
rmjb

Post by rmjb »

Engines are ordered in the order they are added on FAT32 and alphabetically on NTFS.

- rmjb
matt me

how to behave with background/foreground tabs

Post by matt me »

it would be best to have this extension behave like firefox itself. right click, and use view image. normal click will open in current tab. middle mouse click / control click will open in new foreground tab. shift click will open in new background tab.
BenBasson

Re: how to behave with background/foreground tabs

Post by BenBasson »

matt me wrote:it would be best to have this extension behave like firefox itself. right click, and use view image. normal click will open in current tab. middle mouse click / control click will open in new foreground tab. shift click will open in new background tab.

Um, I don't know what configuration you're using, but as far as I'm aware, Context Search already does those things. Shift+Click opens a new window for me using a clean Firefox install, so that behaviour is observed by the extension.

If I'm not understanding you correctly, please clarify what it is that you're suggesting.
matt me

Post by matt me »

i'm suggesting that standard click will open in current tab/window, and that middle mouse click will open in new foreground tab/window. this would then be consistent with the standard behaviour of links in firefox.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Oh, I see... I haven't added in middle click support yet. For now, use CTRL+Click.
southcutt
Location: Aggieland, USA (a.k.a. College Station, Texas, USA)

1.0 compatibility?

Post by southcutt »

Thanks for all the great extensions, Cusser. I'm having a problem with a couple of them, though:

Context Highlight 0.1 and Context Search 0.2 are listed as FF 1.0 compatible on update.mozilla.org, but when I try to install them, Firefox says they aren't compatible.

Are they actually 1.0 compatible or not (and if not, any estimate when updates will be ready)?

What do I need to do to make them install? Do I just need to edit "app.extensions.version," "app.version," "extensions.lastAppVersion" or some other pref? If so, which one and what value should it have--0.10? 0.10.1? I was using Context Search with FF 1.0PR/0.10.1 with no problem, and quite happy with it--I'm eager to get it working again!

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0

(Sorry for the cross-posting with http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=946716, but I hope users of both extensions might benefit from my problem and its solution.)
No trees were killed to post this message. (A large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced, however.)
Blaise

Post by Blaise »

Is there a way that you can get it to include your quicksearches aswell? or instead?
rmjb

Post by rmjb »

The Ben Gooder did the extension you're asking for Blaise:

https://update.mozilla.org/extensions/m ... 8&vid=1140

- rmjb