Firefox not displaying chinese characters correctly

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
minn

Firefox not displaying chinese characters correctly

Post by minn »

Hi guys I have this problem with firefox. While I was trying to input some chinese characters into my firefox browser, I noticed that one of the characters(words) came out wrong. As in, the character looks like a legitimate chinese word but it's written incorrectly. I thought it was a problem with my east asian character pack that is displaying the character wrongly, but when I copied and pasted the character into internet explorer browser, it came out correct. So that means that firefox is the browser displaying the character wrongly. I've upload screenshots for you guys to compare between the 2 browsers below:

I'm guessing it's a problem with the Unicode (UTF-8) encoding used by most English international sites, because when I use Firefox to visit chinese sites like Baidu that uses Simplified Chinese (GB2312) the word is rendered correctly.

So far, all chinese characters displayed in my firefox has been correct thus far, except perhaps when I compare the chinese character displays between firefox and internet explorer, firefox's appears to be more "squished" and hard to see whereas internet explorer's is clean and clear. That was my only complaint before. This is the first time I've encountered words rendered wrongly.

If anyone can help me out in correcting this mistake on my own, or directing me to the proper channels (if this is a problem on the coding side), I'll be greatful. Thanks!
FatJohn

Re: Firefox not displaying chinese characters correctly

Post by FatJohn »

Dunno why that is but have you noticed this?
Looks like windoze agrees with Firefox on this one.
minn

Post by minn »

FatJohn wrote:Dunno why that is but have you noticed this?
Looks like windoze agrees with Firefox on this one.

no sorry, as I said the code could be wrong. And windows is not a person who has learnt Mandarin for 16 years. I think I know my Mandarin better than an OS machine. I'm not saying this is solely the fault of firefox but I just want to know what made the character screwed up.
minn

Post by minn »

O yeah I forgot to say I did notice the character displayed on the taskbar. It does not mean the character is right though. I just want to know what's wrong and what can I do to fix it.
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Given that IE's behavior is inconsistent, and that Firefox matches the characters shown in Windows proper, I's say this is a Windows language support problem. Make sure you have all of the proper language packs installed.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

I shows for me as you want it in the search bar on http://baike.baidu.com/view/57908.htm
Even if I paste that character (令 令) in that search box (令)

It also shows correctly for me if I paste 令 on the location bar and search bar:
http://translate.google.com/?hl=en&ie=U ... |%E4%BB%A4
data:text/html;charset=utf-8,令

0x4ee0-0x4eef:

Code: Select all

data:text/html,<b>Arial:</b><p style='font-family:"Arial"; font-size:25px;'>仠仡仢代令以仦仧仨仩仪仫们仭仮仯</p>