FF 3.6.4 update underwhelming

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Rocketman

FF 3.6.4 update underwhelming

Post by Rocketman »

Just got the update to FF 3.6.4 a few minutes ago & to say I'm underwhelmed is putting it mildly. Out of the gate, it froze upon restart after the update, froze while in one of my yahoo accounts & then downloaded a file (FF 3.6.3 from ftp.mozilla.org, just in case I need to go back) at slower than dial-up speed, forcing me to shutdown & reset my cable modem.

During the update, no extension was marked as not compatible. I think it was after the second freeze that an error dialog appeared noting an error with the "plugin container" I think it said. I was too annoyed to save the info.

This is the first time in a really long time that I can remember an update was bad from the start. Sorry that I don't have more info on the problem, but I will try to keep better track if it continues.
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Ben Franklin
Bluefang

Re: FF 3.6.4 update underwhelming

Post by Bluefang »

In about:config try setting dom.ipc.plugins.enabled to false and see if that helps with the crashing.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
Rocketman

Post by Rocketman »

Bluefang wrote:In about:config try setting dom.ipc.plugins.enabled to false and see if that helps with the crashing.

Thanks for the quick reply, Bluefang, but it's already set that way. (I have some screenshots of the error, just have to figure out how to include them. I think I have the instructions.)

http://img37.imageshack.us/i/plugincontainer1.png/

http://img39.imageshack.us/i/plugincontainer2.png/

http://img96.imageshack.us/i/plugincontainer3.png/
Last edited by Rocketman on June 22nd, 2010, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -- Ben Franklin
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Wait, if you have IPC disabled, set to 'false' you should not be seeing any crashes from the plugin-container as its never started....

When changing the IPC pref, you have to restart the browser to have it take effect.
pal-moz

Post by pal-moz »

on 3.6.4,
search below, and set "false", these are for Silverlight/QuickTime/Flash plugin.
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npctrl.dll
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npqtplugin.dll
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll

Littlemutt wrote:Wait, if you have IPC disabled, set to 'false' you should not be seeing any crashes from the plugin-container as its never started....

on 3.6.4, OOPP is OFF by default, and ON by each plugin.
Last edited by pal-moz on June 22nd, 2010, 6:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[Desktop] Windows 7 Professional (32bit/SP1) / Geforce GTX 660Ti 2GB (350.12) / 4GB RAM
Rocketman

Post by Rocketman »

Littlemutt wrote:Wait, if you have IPC disabled, set to 'false' you should not be seeing any crashes from the plugin-container as its never started....

When changing the IPC pref, you have to restart the browser to have it take effect.

I didn't change it now. It's been that way & I don't remember when it was changed.

These are my current settings:

dom.ipc.plugins.enabled;false
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npctrl.dll;true
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npqtplugin.dll;true
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll;true
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.nptest.dll;true

Is everyone in agreement that they should all be set to false?
pal-moz

Post by pal-moz »

Rocketman wrote:These are my current settings:

dom.ipc.plugins.enabled;false
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npctrl.dll;true
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npqtplugin.dll;true
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll;true
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.nptest.dll;true

Is everyone in agreement that they should all be set to false?

if you have trouble with all three plugins, set all "false". (set "false" for troubled plugin)
if you have no trouble, no need to set "false".
[Desktop] Windows 7 Professional (32bit/SP1) / Geforce GTX 660Ti 2GB (350.12) / 4GB RAM
Rocketman

Post by Rocketman »

pal-moz wrote:if you have trouble with all three plugins, set all "false". (set "false" for troubled plugin)
if you have no trouble, no need to set "false".

I never had a problem with the plugin-container until the FF 3.6.4 update. Was the plugin-container changed from 3.6.3?
pal-moz

Post by pal-moz »

Rocketman wrote:Was the plugin-container changed from 3.6.3?

yes, new on 3.6.4.
see https://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/i ... available/
Rocketman

Post by Rocketman »

Well, it's fairly obvious that the new 3.6.4 crash protection isn't working for me.
pal-moz

Post by pal-moz »

did try with safe mode and new profile ?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diag ... Firefox%29
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

on 3.6.4, OOPP is OFF by default, and ON by each plugin.

Yeah, I forgot about that.

If the browser is crashing, check if you have any crash reports (goto about:crashes). Post any recent ones that you find.

Did you try setting all of the dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.*.dll to false (you need to restart the browser)? Did it help? If so, try narrowing it down to the problematic one.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
trolly

Post by trolly »

Moving to "Support" because 3.6.4 is an official build.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
Rocketman

Post by Rocketman »

Bluefang wrote:
If the browser is crashing, check if you have any crash reports (goto about:crashes). Post any recent ones that you find.

This is the link to the only listed crash report:
http://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/i ... 8c32100623
Is this what you wanted? I could cut & paste it, but it's a lot of info & I don't know which specific category you'd want to see.

Disabling the plugins will have to wait until I get home from work.