All flash site no longer working after FF 3.6.4?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Mitch_B

All flash site no longer working after FF 3.6.4?

Post by Mitch_B »

about:plugins is showing I have the latest Flash, but when I visit web sites, all Flash contents are NOT working and I even went to macromedia.com (Flash creator/Adobe) and NO flash is playing?
Bluefang

Re: All flash site no longer working after FF 3.6.4?

Post by Bluefang »

Are you getting a "plugin crashed" message on any of these sites?
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...

Post by Guest »

Hi Bluefang, NO, not getting "plugin crashed" message...but I do know Flash crashes my FF 3.6.3 at least 8 - 9 times on a daily basis (I'm online like 8-10 hrs/day) and that's before I installed the latest FF 3.6.4.

I just installed FF 3.6.4 few hrs ago and now all of a sudden all sites with flash are not loading , even Adobe/Macromedia' own site macromedia.com, I did see a message something like "can not connect to server" from those sites with flash....
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

If you've just updated Firefox......
See if these articles help > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls
& > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_crashes
Here's a rather detailed thread on Flash...
> viewtopic.php?f=7&t=945195
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Mitch_B

Post by Mitch_B »

Thanks LIMPET235, still having the same Flash problem after going over your above links.

I asked 5 of my MSN chat buddies to update/test their FF and they all reported the same problem as me......the fact that even http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/ isn't working is something maybe the FF 3.6.4 has installation bug?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
You say that you've "updated/installed" v3.6.4 but your UA says differently...
"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3."
Looks like it didn't take properly.
You could try the update again. (I had trouble with the 3.5.10 version update.)
or this way...
Delete the application folder in > C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
& delete any downloaded or partially downloaded installation file.
Disable any Anti Virus apps.
Clear the Windows Temp files & cache from the browser you D/L'd Firefox with.
Download a new copy of the (.exe), latest version from > www.mozilla.com
& run the installer.
Re-enable your AV stuff.
JIC...> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_Firefox
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

Mitch_B

Post by Mitch_B »

Thanks again LIMPET235, yes I'm back on FF 3.6.3 (was on FF 3.6.4, but as soon as the Flash NOT working, I went back to FF 3.6.3)!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

May I suggest that you try the "Un/Re-install" of Flash.
I just tried a few Flash tests from the above ^^^^ link with v3.6.4 & it worked fine...
as does the Adobe site.

NB: & JIC.... There are 2 versions...1 for IE (Active X variety) & 1 for everything else.

Post by Guest »

If you have a non-microsoft firewall it is probably blocking internet access to plugin-container.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Mitch_B wrote:Thanks LIMPET235, still having the same Flash problem after going over your above links.

Go over them again. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firewalls

Firefox 3.6.4 handles plugins (like Flash) using a separate process called plugin-container.exe (which shows up in the Task Manager). If this process is not allowed through your firewall, i.e. as in your previous post -

I did see a message something like "can not connect to server" from those sites with flash....

...then nothing connects and you get no Flash YouToob. See? :)

This advice also applies to all the 'me too!' and 'i ve exact same problem! :x ' posts that will (inevitably) be added to this thread over the next few days. ;)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
wm4bama

Post by wm4bama »

Mitch_B wrote:Thanks LIMPET235, still having the same Flash problem after going over your above links.

I asked 5 of my MSN chat buddies to update/test their FF and they all reported the same problem as me......the fact that even http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/ isn't working is something maybe the FF 3.6.4 has installation bug?

I just upgraded my 3.6.3 to 3.6.4 and the above link works fine here...
East Central Alabama, Wildblue Satellite ISP, Linksys WRT54G2 router, Dell Desktop XP-Home-SP3, Dell Laptop Vista-Home-SP2, Run IE8 and Firefox browsers.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Upgraded also (Me too Frank :lol: ).. and all is fine here.

Hi Bluefang, NO, not getting "plugin crashed" message...but I do know Flash crashes my FF 3.6.3 at least 8 - 9 times on a daily basis (I'm online like 8-10 hrs/day) and that's before I installed the latest FF 3.6.4.

Though my U-Tub :) type usage is minimal on a daily basis in all the times I've used FF I've never had a crash from a Flash type link. If you have been crashing 8-9 times a day then you've had older problems than the new one after updating to FF 3.6.4. Or, you've been crashing due to an extension issue.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Nitch_B

Post by Nitch_B »

Frank Lion wrote:Firefox 3.6.4 handles plugins (like Flash) using a separate process called plugin-container.exe (which shows up in the Task Manager). If this process is not allowed through your firewall, i.e. as in your previous post -

I did see a message something like "can not connect to server" from those sites with flash....

...then nothing connects and you get no Flash YouToob. See? :)

This advice also applies to all the 'me too!' and 'i ve exact same problem! :x ' posts that will (inevitably) be added to this thread over the next few days. ;)

Thank you :P , "plugin-container.exe" is the problem!!! I've Windows 7 x64 with the built in Microsoft firewall and AntiVir anti virus, however I "block" all outgoing traffic in Microsoft built in firewall and as soon as I setup a new rule to allow "plugin-container.exe", all Flash sites are working again. NO action is necessary in AntiVir anti virus.

Just for my info, why does this "plugin-container.exe" need to connect outside? phoning home to report the crash?

Thanks for all the help and I'm sure lots of security minded people will face the same problem as most people would block outgoing traffic in Windows built in firewall!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
It seems strange that the so called "Window's firewall" didn't give you the name of the specific app that it blocked.
Both my PC & laptop run 2 different firewalls & they both give that type of info.
;)

re; The "plugin-container.exe"....
See > viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1929275

Anyway....glad to assist.

Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Nitch_B wrote:Just for my info, why does this "plugin-container.exe" need to connect outside? phoning home to report the crash?

As the name suggests, this component handles...er..plugins (to see which plugins you use - Tools > Add-ons > Plugins) and as the plugin content you want to see/hear is on the 'outside' then....

The reason for this change in Firefox is to isolate plugins (which Firefox do not make) from Firefox itself and so aid stability, etc.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)