remove Unsorted Bookmarks folder as default location?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Isis4

remove Unsorted Bookmarks folder as default location?

Post by Isis4 »

Is there some way to stop bookmarks from getting saved to this new Unsorted Bookmarks folder in FF3.6? Used to be that they were automatically saved to what I guess is now called Bookmarks Menu. I organized my entire filing system around that default location, and I want it to be back to that old pattern.

I tried to remove the folder with the Sidebar Bookmark Selector add-on after reading about it on the forum, but it's still there after un-ticking it in the add-on's options, and after restarting Firefox. The thread where I found out about the add-on described un-ticking both the Unsorted Bookmarks and the Bookmarks Toolbar, so maybe it can only remove both? I don't want to get rid of the Bookmarks Toolbar, though.

Took me forever to find my bookmarks in that new Unsorted Bookmarks folder... Put me in a complete panic! Same panic as when my downloads suddenly got dumped into a new Downloads folder in my Document, and I kept repeating the download because it wasn't on my desktop like I expected it to be. Is that also a new FF3.6 addition?

Re: remove Unsorted Bookmarks folder as default location?

Post by Guest »

Isis4 wrote: my downloads suddenly got dumped into a new Downloads folder in my Document, and I kept repeating the download because it wasn't on my desktop like I expected it to be. Is that also a new FF3.6 addition?

you can specify where the download goes. You can specify the default download folder.

the option is found under Tools → Options → General tab

Post by Guest »

specify in the (•) Save files to: box
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

With respect to the placement of bookmarks. Could be wrong here (been too long) but the Unsorted folder has been used since FF 3.0.0 ... so, it's not new unless you just upgraded from a 2.x level.

Anyway, you might want to take a look at this extension. It opens up a display window of your bookmark folders with a single and/or double click on the star (or bookmark this page etc.) for faster storing of your bookmarks. You can also enlarge the resulting window.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3880

And for additional bookmark management you might want to review these...
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7372
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7377
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Isis4

Post by Isis4 »

I did indeed just upgrade after avoiding it for a very long time, because I wasn't ready to lose some add-ons that aren't compatible with this version, so for me it's all new, and I don't much like it. Too many little changes that I suddenly notice when I've got other things to do than hassle with some new feature.

I tried the first add-on you suggested, and it's an improvement that it remembers the last location. Might be good enough to at least restore some practical functionality for me. Thank you.

But I really hate that the folder is just there taking up space. Is there no way to just get rid of it? And that Download folder in my Documents folder is back too. I've set the default to download to Desktop, but now I've got this empty folder sitting there disrupting my own complex filing system. It's beyond me why the folks at FF would resort to such microsoft-ish behavior and force an unnecessary folder on me that I don't want. Surely there has to be a way to get rid of these things...?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Too many little changes that I suddenly notice when I've got other things to do than hassle with some new feature.

If change bothers you then you better stick with XP and never, ever move to Win7.

I believe that the Unsorted folder is a basic part of the SQL file structure concept of FF but if you want to "hide" it then this extension will give you that option. There may be other ways to do it but this is the easiest.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7884/

About the download folder... since I'm on Win7 (and use an external downloader) I don't have a "Download" folder in My Docs... assuming that I'm looking in the right place. What exact disc location on your XP system are you finding that.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
This thread will, hopefully explain, the reason for that D/L folder in My Docs...& how "not to have it created."....
> viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1841125
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

If you hide the star on the address bar and use the menu item "Bookmark This Page" instead, you will have the default back to Bookmarks Menu.
diligentinquirer

Post by diligentinquirer »

Take a peek at the "unsorted bookmarks folder menu" extension to see of that may help ya.
Fools rush in where wise men fear to tread. - Alexander Pope (1688-1744)
Dex Luther

Post by Dex Luther »

Well here we are in 2011 and this issue is still around. I shouldn't have to install extensions and add-ons, which will bloat an already memory hungry browser, to do something that should be an option by default.

The person that thought it was a good idea to have the default save location for bookmarks be a hidden folder should be fired or at least shouldn't be allowed to come up with any ideas anymore. I wonder how many people even now are bookmarking things and don't understand why they can never find it in the bookmarks menu.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

I think the "Un-sorted Bookmarks Folder" was created for those people that were/are in a hurry & cannot save to there desired location quickly.

It's easy enough to go back & sort them at a later date.

Locking due to old age.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)