plugin-container.exe

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ballacktini

plugin-container.exe

Post by ballacktini »

ok, i updated firefox yesterday cos it alerted me there was a new update

anyways, when firefox opens it also opens up open-container.exe as well (i can see it in task manager)
i keep end processing it but it keeps coming back, i was watching a youtube video and closed open-container.exe and the youtube video closed also, so im guessing it is something to do with flash? (guessing, not sure)

anyways, is there a fix for this or am i just gonna have to live with another process taking up memory?

thanks for any replies and solutions.
LoudNoise

Re: plugin-container.exe

Post by LoudNoise »

That is the program that actually runs the plug-ins such as flash. By running it in plug-in container the plug-in can crash without taking Firefox with it.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
GTryder

Post by GTryder »

Ab subabsurda numquid ad veritas. "From the somewhat absurd possibility to reality."
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Also, you can turn it off by typing About:config in the address bar, filter for dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll and change that to false. Flash will run in the program proper.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
ballacktini222

Post by ballacktini222 »

hey its ballacktini, i logged out so im just using this

do u think i should let it run or change it like you described?

is it going to be like this forever? or in newer updates it will go back to normal?

thanks.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

It's the new way so that if a plugin has a problem it "may" not bring FF all the down. I would also assume that if it's now in it's own process (using mem) that the main FF process is going to be reduced by about that same amount... I think :) .
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

I am personally not having any problem with it. Is it taking up a good deal of memory or CPU for you? In my case the actual amount of CPU/memory used by Firefox is basically the same with it on or off.
Post wrangler
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

In may case the actual amount of CPU/memory used by Firefox is basically the same with it on or off.

My assumption above was just using hopeful logic in that the main FF would have been reduced by code that dealt with plugins (kind of) but if one can change something in about:config to turn that plugin process off then I am wrong...again :lol: ... oh well.

Too late for me to do any compare test since all I have on here is one version of FF.
ballacktini22222

Post by ballacktini22222 »

its using roughly around 30-50k sometimes goes even higher to like 70k when lots of things are running, but ye its not really annoying me i was just wondering what the deal is with that and if it was essential, anyways, thanks alot for the help and i just got one more question.

when i browse the internet with firefox i usually go to task manager and set the priority high (use laptop, try to speed things up and make it run faster), should i also set the priority of the plugin-container.exe to high as well? or just leave it

thanks
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

If you're actually seeing a difference with Firefox set to high priority then you might as well do the same with plugin-container. The worst that can happen is that the experiment fails and you need to turn it back to normal.
Post wrangler
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

when i browse the internet with firefox i usually go to task manager and set the priority high (use laptop, try to speed things up and make it run faster), should i also set the priority of the plugin-container.exe to high as well? or just leave it

I would think that unless you have a number of user applications running at the same time competing with Firefox changing the pri. might not be getting you much. Is this wireless browsing?

Lack of speed could be more related to lack of enough memory or ?? as opposed to process priority's. Over the years of updating my old XP I found that the overall computer speed was greatly reduced by all the stuff MS installed with those updates... more mem. on that old laptop cured lots of things... Also, a change in my AV software also improved speed GREATLY!. Uninstalled Norton and installed Avast.
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

ballacktini222 wrote:is it going to be like this forever? or in newer updates it will go back to normal?

Out of process plugins (plugin-container.exe) is the new preferred way of running plugins. It's here to stay. You can disable it if you want, but there should be no reason to unless it's actually causing problems.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
Iolanthe

Post by Iolanthe »

Should plugin-container.exe be granted Internet access in the firewall? I said No the first time a warning popped up from my firewall because I didn't know what it was.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Iolanthe wrote:Should plugin-container.exe be granted Internet access in the firewall?

Yes. Despite the total lack of warning about this by Mozilla, it is OK.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

Post by Guest »

This new plugin-container is rubbish... i now makes flash games impossible to play as the responsiveness is totally crap. Press a button.. wait 30seconds whilst plugin-container runs at 90% cpu doing nothing... i'm off to chrome!