How to disable plugin-container.exe

User Help for Mozilla Firefox

How to disable plugin-container.exe

Post by Guest »

The new plugin-container.exe is a resource hog like I knew it would be. Is there a setting in about:config to disable it and make everything run in one process again?
Frank Lion

Re: How to disable plugin-container.exe

Post by Frank Lion »

It is not a resource hog. It separates out the resources used by the plugins. If you look at the Virtual Memory use of Firefox prior to this....it is the same as when you now add the VM of Firefox and the VM of plugin-container.exe together.

To disable, see here - viewtopic.php?p=9530495#p9530495
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Frank Lion wrote:It is not a resource hog. It separates out the resources used by the plugins. If you look at the Virtual Memory use of Firefox prior to this....it is the same as when you now add the VM of Firefox and the VM of plugin-container.exe together.
To disable, see here - viewtopic.php?p=9530495#p9530495

I was wondering about that... since I only run one version of FF on this PC ...and I didn't think to take a before/after reading so I didn't know ... but did figure that the change "wouldn't" waste mem. since Mozilla seems to be very concerned about mem. usage of FF...which is good!

Thanks
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
foxfrog

Post by foxfrog »

External executables to solve internal problems are always crap. This is bad programming. Please abandon this idea in the next release. It sucks.
cuz84d

Post by cuz84d »

foxfrog wrote:External executables to solve internal problems are always crap. This is bad programming. Please abandon this idea in the next release. It sucks.

Developers don't live here.. this is a user forum. Some developers read or post, but its not affiliated to Mozilla. Its them flash videos that are resource hogs.. for every ad you see, and every movie you watch and tab you open it allocates memory for each one. Before if one of them plugins crashed your whole browser session was gone.. now its just the plugin can die and you can keep working.. and restart the plugin.

Post by Guest »

Ok, I run 4 separate Firefox profiles, but there is only one plugin-container.exe... does it hold ALL the plugins for all browsers? How does it save plugins running in other 3 when it crashes on one? Is this really necessary? I agree with foxfrog... I don't need more processes to run the same number of programs... I was actually quite happy with last version of firefox, til it auto-updated me to this crash bug.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

See Frank's post above on how to turn it off. However, it won't cure your crashes since this is being caused by something different, most likely an extension.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
GUEST 2

Post by GUEST 2 »

this plugin-container.exe is part of adobe flash player and it seems to be necessary for alot of video on the web....either watch video or have no plugin-container. and also would like to point out that it IS maliciously taking my upload bandwidth. :-k ](*,)
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

It is not part of flash, it is part of Firefox. It isn't doing anything malicious with your upload bandwidth.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
User1984

Post by User1984 »

The process report says this piece of * called plugincontainer.exe is taking most of the resources of my computer every 3 or 4 minutes. Worst idea ever in Firefox history. Now I'm gonna try to disable it. The other option is Chrome.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

User 1984, mind the rules: faq.php?mode=rules#f4r1
Post wrangler
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

External executables to solve internal problems are always crap. This is bad programming. Please abandon this idea in the next release. It sucks.

It's not solving an internal problem. It's solving an external one: plugins are prone to crashing. Since Mozilla can't control the quality of the plugins installed, the best solution is to separate them from Firefox's runtime so that they can crash without taking down Firefox.

The other option is Chrome.

Which uses the exact same mechanism.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
Maruchan

Post by Maruchan »

I agree this plugin container is horrible! Before my browser ran fine, never crashed! now I have to restart it after this *wonderful* plugin container thing hits 80% of my cpu and then nothing happens fast anymore!

How do you disable it, better yet get rid of it!?

and I am running 3.6.6
h2209

Post by h2209 »

If you uninstall flash then you won't have plugin-container taking cpu in most cases.

But, you can disable plugin-container for flash here:
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll set to false
BERToo1

Post by BERToo1 »

I don't want an executable that runs whenever you visit a site with flash and demands internet access on my computer. I went back to version 3.6.3 for the short term, but am going to check out Chrome.

REPEAT: I don't want an EXECUTABLE that runs whenever you visit a site with flash and DEMANDS INTERNET ACCESS on my computer.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S DOING OR WHAT INFORMATION IT'S SENDING.... OR WHAT IT WILL BE USED FOR IN THE FUTURE....