connection timed out (Ubuntu)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
chejose

connection timed out (Ubuntu)

Post by chejose »

I had an earlier post on this, but it was a bit confused so will start again.

I get an "connection timed out" on both sending and receiving. The error log for both is:

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIMsgMailNewsUrl.server]" nsresult: "0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED)" location: "JS frame :: file:///usr/lib/thunderbird-3.0.4/modules/activity/alertHook.js :: anonymous :: line 65" data: no]
Source File: file:///usr/lib/thunderbird-3.0.4/modules/activity/alertHook.js
Line: 65

Error: [Exception... "update.locale file doesn't exist in either the XCurProcD or GreD directories" nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)" location: "JS frame :: file:///usr/lib/thunderbird-3.0.4/components/nsUpdateService.js :: getLocale :: line 549" data: no]
Source File: file:///usr/lib/thunderbird-3.0.4/components/nsUpdateService.js
Line: 549

On send I get "connecting to smtp.rnet.com ar" a wait, then connection timed out.
On reception I get a "connecting to pop3.edicionescc.com" and after a wait the timed out message.

I have been using Thunderbird for a few years and have mail accounts on two different servers.

In desperation I installed "Claws mail" but I get the same results.

I can access mail by a direct connection to the server, but it takes time and is NOT the best way to handle mail.

So again, I ask for help.

Thanks, José

Re: connection timed out (Ubuntu)

Post by Guest »

I am getting the same error. I am using thunderbird 3.0.4, trying to connect to an smtp (exchange) server. I can receive fine through imap, but get the same timeout message and get the first error on the error console. According to our website, smtp should be enabled.