how to suppress "redirect notice"?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

how to suppress "redirect notice"?

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy y'all,

since updating to firefox 3.6.6, i'm getting a "redirect notice" page with a gray bar across it and the following msg ...
"
The previous page is sending you to [some url].

If you do not want to visit that page, you can [return to the previous page].
"

forum search led me to msgs that say to turn off the following ...
advanced/general/accessibility/warn-me-when-web-sites-try-to-redirect-or-reload-the-page

i've tried that and no effect. i've also tried to figure out what config setting that is but aint been able to find it. the pages ARE redirected. here's an example ...
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&fd=R&fp= ... dissected/

help, please? [*grin*]

take care,
lee
Bluefang

Re: how to suppress "redirect notice"?

Post by Bluefang »

That has nothing to do with Firefox. What ever site you're on is expressly providing that link with the intention of giving you that warning.

Either that or you have an extension that is doing it. Does it happen in safe-mode (or with all of your extensions disabled)?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Bluefang,

sorry, i should have mentioned that it happens in safemode and in a new, vanilla profile.

do you get the redirect screen when you click on the link i supplied above? here's a screen shot of the one i get ...

this did NOT happen with ff3.6.4 [or whatever the version was two releases ago].

take care,
lee
dylanemcgregor

Post by dylanemcgregor »

I'm seeing this too starting today on two different computers. For me it is happening just with my Google News feeds, although for some reason one of the Google News feeds works fine while 3 or 4 (depending on the machine) do not work. Happens in safe mode also. Running 3.6.6.
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Regardless, that is a Google page and has nothing to do with Firefox. It's quite likely that either Google changed the way their link pass-through worked, or what ever page you were originally on changed the way it links to 3rd party pages.

In fact, I just tested your link on Firefox 3.5 and was completely unsurprised to see the exact same redirect page.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy Bluefang,

thanks for the feedback! i wonder when things changed on the google side ... this is very new behavior. unfortunately, google never seems to respond to requests for help or clarification from non-news folks. [*sigh ...*]

take care,
lee
Hawki71

Post by Hawki71 »

same here it is from google feeds, and im not really being redirected per se, as the news feed opens up in a new tab. its very annoying
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Actually, you might try clearing your google cookies.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Wyrmy

Post by Wyrmy »

Google shows the redirect page for EVERY search which includes a # character.
Try it - it's so annoying.
As a developer I search for C# a lot - and this issue has made me consider Bing as a better experience
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Tried it, can not replicate. For example, this search gives me direct links.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy y'all,

well, for some dang reason - perhaps google fixed it? - the silly page no longer shows up. links flow thru to the desired page as they did before this "oopsie" occurred.

my thanks to you all for your help! [*grin*]

take care,
lee
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Short off Topic....
OK Lee... I've got to ask... and this has nothing to do with the topic... but I've noticed in your posts that your... as an example [*grin*] is not displaying as a grin (Smiley or ??) but as text... do you see it that way too? Just curious about this :)

Maybe I'm the only one that sees it and I need to change something here?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy dfoulkes,

i use that "[*grin*] " thing often in places that don't support smileys. also, i don't actually like smileys most of3 the time, so this works for me. there are a few sites where my version of grinning produces odd results. the official apple forums come to mind ...

so, yes, the [*grin*] is really done as you see it. i've got a small keyboard macro that replaces various double-asterisk plus one or more letters with my preferred text. the [*grin*] is done with a double-asterisk-g, for instance.

yes, i am normally not normal. [*grin*]

take care,
lee
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Thanks Lee... I was just wondering ...thinking that I was seeing something wrong.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

dfoulkes wrote:Thanks Lee... I was just wondering ...thinking that I was seeing something wrong.

[*grin*]