inline AutoComplete

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
futz

inline AutoComplete

Post by futz »

Is there an option in FireFox to use "Inline AutoComplete" like in IE? I miss it a lot.

Another thing I've gotten totally used to and miss a bit in Firefox is the audible click sound when I click on a link in IE.
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

inline autocomplete in Location Bar is possible. Just set browser.urlbar.autoFill to true in about:config.

Post by Guest »

I screwed up and made it a string instead of boolean. How do I delete that or change it to boolean?

I'm assuming it should have been boolean in the first place.

Post by Guest »

Never mind. I figured it out. Modified the prefs.js file directly and cured the problem. AutoComplete works great now. Thanks for you help.

Post by Guest »

asqueella wrote:inline autocomplete in Location Bar is possible. Just set browser.urlbar.autoFill to true in about:config.

I'm using the latest version of Firefox, and there is no such option to modify. Any other suggestions?

Post by Guest »

It's not an option in a menu. You have to add it to the auto:config list.

1. To do so, type about:config into the address (url) bar. The list will appear.

2. Right click on the list anywhere and choose New/Boolean

3. Type in browser.urlbar.autoFill and click OK

4. Choose true and click OK

5. Congratulations! You now have inline autocomplete in Firefox.

Post by Guest »

Oops! The first line in the message above should read:

It's not an option in a menu. You have to add it to the about:config list.
skirkpatrick

Post by skirkpatrick »

Anybody else think that it's a nice feature that's a little difficult to get to? :)
hybucket

Post by hybucket »

IT's a nice feature -NOT difficult to get to if you follow the instructions in the posting three above. Hey, if I can do it, anyone can.
THanks - I missed that feature in FF.

Post by Guest »

How do I disable the feature so that when I start typing locations, no drop down list appears at all. It seems as if setting Autofill to "false" doesn't do the trick.. Is there any other setting?

Post by Guest »

I enabled the feature, and it works great. However, I agree with skirkpatrick. It is easy for me to enable, but I'm a programmer, and I had to go search the internet to figure it out untill I found this post. This option is important enough to be added to the GUI options menu.
Unarmed

Post by Unarmed »

Anonymous wrote:How do I disable the feature so that when I start typing locations, no drop down list appears at all. It seems as if setting Autofill to "false" doesn't do the trick.. Is there any other setting?

You can hide the drop down by adding a line to userChrome.css:

Code: Select all

#PopupAutoComplete, #PopupAutoComplete > .autocomplete-tree { display: none !important; }

Post by Guest »

THANK YOU! (caps intended)
Ben May

Post by Ben May »

THANKS ASWELL, i pretty much nothing and i got that to work in a minute!
Thank you so much, be proud of yourself to help people like that
:~)
Ben May

Post by Ben May »

THANKS ASWELL, i know pretty much nothing and i got that to work in a minute!
Thank you so much, be proud of yourself to help people like that
:~)