0.5 Update

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Chris

How about FENIX?

Post by Chris »

If you have to change the name, why not change it to something that sounds the same so we can still call it "Phoenix". I vote for <b>Fenix</b>
luci

Re: How about FENIX?

Post by luci »

Chris wrote:If you have to change the name, why not change it to something that sounds the same so we can still call it "Phoenix". I vote for <b>Fenix</b>

i hoped it'll be no need to change the name of phoenix, but...
so just few minutes ago i decided to post my suggestion at the "new name thread" and i've also posted, among three others, the new name could be "Fénix" ;)

(my other suggestions were: Phoe, Photon or M-zilla)
:.. :.: ::: :
IoN_PuLse

Post by IoN_PuLse »

thumperward wrote:Yes, but not high-profile ones which get people to email Phoenix.com and ask where the web browser is multiple times a day.

- Chris

Dumb people are so annoying, with google.com around there's no excuse for that sort of behaviour.
-IoN_PuLse
Team Leader of 007 Quake II www.007quake.com
Blake

Post by Blake »

You can't just change the spelling. It has to be different enough to not cause confusion.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Blake wrote:You can't just change the spelling. It has to be different enough to not cause confusion.

Is there any consensus among you Phoenix people?

Thanks,
Dai
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

If you're going to change the name you might as well do it in a meaningful and striking way, not in some petty, obstinate barely-does-the-job way. I've thought of a new one too, so off I go to the right thread.

- Chris
taestell

Post by taestell »

It should be called: BFKAP (Browser Formerly Known As Phoenix).
ehume

Post by ehume »

daihard wrote:
Blake wrote:You can't just change the spelling. It has to be different enough to not cause confusion.

Is there any consensus among you Phoenix people?

Thanks,
Dai

There does not seem to be a consensus. One would need a poll, but then one would need to select which candidates should be in the poll. And then one would have to ask whether this forum reaches a representative set of users . . .

I trust the developers' sense. After all they gave us Phoenix.

In the meantime, while we're waiting for Release 0.5, build 2002-11-28 is quite nice.

Ed
tve

Post by tve »

Px, Guerilla, Newt, Mozquito, Moskito, those are my faves, USE ONE OF THESE NAMES, OR.. OR... ANOTHER ONE! ;)
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

ehume wrote:
daihard wrote:Is there any consensus among you Phoenix people?

There does not seem to be a consensus. One would need a poll, but then one would need to select which candidates should be in the poll. And then one would have to ask whether this forum reaches a representative set of users . . .

I trust the developers' sense. After all they gave us Phoenix.

In the meantime, while we're waiting for Release 0.5, build 2002-11-28 is quite nice.

What I meant by "Phoenix people" is the Phoenix developers who get to make the decision. :) Taking a poll is quite a nice idea, but like you, I believe they give us a name that's just as good as, if not better than, Phoenix.

I am using 20021127. You beat me just by one day. :D
nobody2234

Re: Thanks, Blake!

Post by nobody2234 »

Chris in MI wrote:Hey Blake,

Since nobody else here has seen fit to do it yet, I'd like to thank you for the time and effort you've put into bringing us this wonderful web browser for absolutely no money on our part. I'm not too bothered that 0.5 is out a bit later than the roadmap said - 0.4 is great and 0.5 will be better, whenever it's done.

Do yourself and us a favor and take the weekend or at least the next few days off and spend time with family or friends instead of working on code. You've done plenty for us - do something for yourself for a change.

From all of us who use and love Phoenix, thanks for all that you do. :-)

I second that, and extend to all who contibute to free and Open Source projects.
Kemayo

Post by Kemayo »

IoN_PuLse wrote:Even so, I have seen tons of mini-software companies with names/product names using Phoenix.

Ah, but how many of those were a browser? Which is, after all, one of the things Phoenix Technologies specifically has that trademark on. Since they do, after all, produce a browser. (It's built into the BIOS, but still...)

~David
nobody2234

Post by nobody2234 »

Yea, you are very right. While I love the name Pheonix, they really do have an established copyright on it, plus prior work. Oh well.
Sho

Post by Sho »

Well, please post name suggestions in the appropriate thread.
JenHi

thanks to developers, but...

Post by JenHi »

Their efforts were on program and they miss the problem of the name. too bad
Now their work seduced lots , tons, some are very heavy, like me ?, of people -
they post : "we should change the name - in your advice what should it be."
lots , tons of answers have been post and replied not only in the kind way recomended, I should say.

what if they just don't care and take the name they like,
like they did once with the results now known ...

The way I see it - name is a feature of software : something like handle on a wallet, the outside thing you grab the whole thing with and carry it all over the world (this sentence seems to be a quote, but I don't know the author) .
Not to neglect, I say

my advice, and it is only a, not so interesting, user opinion, is that taking it seriously should include to know what people think about it , Listen , and it is not so easy as a developer
but it is a necessity.

One thing free software miss is what one call "marketing" - you could call "mind for what people are waiting for/ would wait if they only knew it exists" -
this is a chance to improve it with tools of "community" isn't it .

As far as I am concerned and sorry if one angry, that was not the aim.