Bookmarks Menu Button 0.6b1 [2009-08-11]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Sephirot

Bookmarks Menu Button 0.6b1 [2009-08-11]

Post by Sephirot »

Bookmarks Menu Button 0.6b1

Where to get? http://www.sephiroth-j.de/mozilla/ (direct dl)
Why? therefore
Supported Browser: Firefox 3.0 - 3.6
Supported Themes: Firefox' default theme, Qute and Mostly Crystal (by theme, not by extension)
Supported Languages: English (en-US), German (de-DE)
Description: Bookmarks Menu Button (BMB) adds a new bookmarks and history menu button to the toolbar. Those combine all the functunality of the normal bookmarks/history button and the bookmarks menu. In addition you can define how to sort your bookmarks, reorder the history, open/close the bookmarks/history sidebar or restore the last closed tab/window (Firefox 3.5) either using the middle or the right mouse button.

I'd like to thank jedbro and asqueella for their help.

History:
  • 0.6b1:
    + added: Firefox 3.5 support
    + added: new bookmarks and history tab
  • 0.5b1:
    + added: full Firefox 3.0 support
    - removed: additional languages (need to be updated)
  • 0.4.3.6:
    - know issue: if you use "Menu Editor", than do not change the bookmarks menu
    + added: new language Swedish (sv-SE)
    + improved: bumped Qute to version 3.3.1
    + fixed: minor issue when opening a bookmark using middle-click
  • 0.4.3.4:
    + fixed: sorting from the sort-menu did not respected the sort-prefs (ignored exclude toolbar and sort recursive)
    + fixed: minor issue in history-menu after BMB has been installed and Firefox restarted using the extensions manager
  • 0.4.3.3:
    + added: new language chinese traditional (zh-TW)
    + added: option to clear the list of recently closed tabs
    + added: favicon for closed tab
  • 0.4.3.2:
    - know issue: if you use Menu Editor, than do not change the bookmarks menu
    + added: new language chinese traditional (zh-TW)
    + added: option to clear the list of recently closed tabs
    + added: favicon for closed tab
  • 0.4.3.2:
    + fixed: "feedMenupopup has no properties" error with Firefox 1.5
  • 0.4.3:
    + added: new icons
    + added: new languages el-GR, es-ES, fr-FR, it-IT, nl-NL, pl-PL, pt-BR, ru-RU and zh-CN
    + fixed: tabs where not restored correctly
    + improved: removed delay when opening the history button for the first time
    * partial fixed: if you do not have a file named classic.jar in the chrome of Firefox (like Ubuntu users), than add the following line to your profile's userChrome.css to get the icons for the buttons back

Code: Select all

@import url("chrome://bmb-ext/skin/bmb_nojar.css");

• 0.4.2.2:
    + fixed: no symbols for the buttons, if a not supported theme was used

• 0.4.2:
    + added: full Firefox 2.0 support
    + added: option to remove drop markers (arrows) next to the buttons
    + added: option to restore last closed tab via right/middle click on the history button (Firefox 2.0 only)
    + added: shortcut key for the history button (same as the normal history menu)
    + improved: no restart requiered anymore for hiding/showing normal bookmarks/history menu
    * removed: Firefox 1.0 support
    * changed: Qute 3 is now the default version of Qute 2; if you use Qute 2, add the following line to your userChrome.css

@import url("chrome://bmb-ext/skin/bmb-ext_qute2.css");

• 0.4.1:
    + added: new languages es-ES, fr-FR, it-IT, pl-PL, pt-BR, ru-RU and zh-C

• 0.3.1:

+ improved: orig. bookmarks menu can be used together again with BMB (but still hidden by default)
    + fixed: issues with extension Compact Menu

• 0.3:
    - know issue: if you use compact menu, then uncheck the bookmarks

+ added: firefox 1.5 support
    + added: history button
    + added: sorting bookmarks via context menu
    + added: choose actions for right and middle click on bookmarks button
    + improved: overall firefox support
    + fixed: problem (empty menuitem) with extension "sortbookmarks"
    + other minor improvements

• 0.2.3.2005012802:
    - know issue: if you use compact menu, then uncheck the bookmarks

+ fixed: context menu was broken in 0.2.3.20050124 and 0.2.3.20050128
    + fixed: default nav-bar context menu is disabled now, when the right-click function is enabled (set to open the bookmarks manager)
    + fixed: settings dialog was not resizeable when opned via extension manager
    + fixed: miniT problem
    + fixed: sometimes menu was not closed
    + fixed: settings dialog not resizeable
    + added: spanish language support, translation by Karius (alt. link)
    + added: italian language support, translation by Madman from extenzilla.it
    + added: shortcut for the button; will be the same like the one for the old bookmarks menu which is ALT+B (en-US) and ALT+L (de-DE) (dunno the one for es-ES and it-IT :()
    + added: bookmarks can be moved/reorderd now
    + old bookmarks menu will be hidden when BMB is used and vice versa
    + on first install/use it will ask, if BMB should be added to the navbar
    + Linux users with default theme (Pinstripe); add the following line to your userChrome.css

@import url("chrome://bmb-ext/skin/bmb-ext_pin.css");

• 0.2.2:
    + hotfix for Qute3 theme support; add the following line to your userChrome.css, if you use Qute3

@import url("chrome://bmb-ext/skin/bmb-ext_qute3.css");

+ right and middle click function can be disabled
    + menu is created dynamicly, that means every menu entry from the orig. bookmarks menu will be in the button-menu. this includes sychronize bookmarks :wink:
    + settings dialog should now have the proper size for english and german language
  • 0.2:
    + right-click opens bookmakrs manager + middle-click opens bookmarks sidebar
    + BMB Settings menu entry can be removed + falls back to default skin when theme is not supported
  • 0.1:
    - initial release

I hope you like it :)

-Sephiroth
Last edited by Sephirot on August 11th, 2009, 10:49 am, edited 34 times in total.
Author of Bookmarks Menu Button, Autoclose Bookmark&History Folders and more

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; de; rv:1.9.2.19pre) Gecko/20110701 Firefox/3.6.19pre <-- build with MS VC++ 2010 SP1 and PGO on Win 7 x64
stevedipaola

Post by stevedipaola »

newbee question: how do I install this extension (winXP). It downloads an .xpi file. WHat do I do with it?
Sephirot

Post by Sephirot »

stevedipaola wrote:newbee question: how do I install this extension (winXP). It downloads an .xpi file. WHat do I do with it?
If it won't install than drag&drop it over a Firefox window after downloading it.
The first link will lead you to a link where the install should be initiated automaticly.
Last edited by Sephirot on December 26th, 2004, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; de; rv:1.9.2.19pre) Gecko/20110701 Firefox/3.6.19pre <-- build with MS VC++ 2010 SP1 and PGO on Win 7 x64
Lost User 12174

Post by Lost User 12174 »

this is the most beautiful thing in the world.
thanks a lot.
been looking for something like this for a while.
a also it dosen't spazz out and disable the bookmark menu when right clicking the bookmarks like compact menu does.
emtp563

Post by emtp563 »

Can you please make it so it's compatible with other themes? IE- maybe you can package it with it's own icon?
mimeryme

Post by mimeryme »

Ooh, would it be possible to instead alter the behavior of the original Bookmarks button? Left-click, middle-click, and right-click, could be assigned to the following actions: menu, sidebar, and manager. (Doesn't have to be bound as such, if left as an option that would be even better.)

This extension works well, but I'd rather have one bookmark button to get to the sidebar and the menu instead of having two.

In any case, thanks for the extension, Sephirot.
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

mimeryme wrote:Ooh, would it be possible to instead alter the behavior of the original Bookmarks button? Left-click, middle-click, and right-click, could be assigned to the following actions: menu, sidebar, and manager. (Doesn't have to be bound as such, if left as an option that would be even better.)

This extension works well, but I'd rather have one bookmark button to get to the sidebar and the menu instead of having two.

I like those ideas. Although could you remove the "BMB Settings" button from the top of the menu? it's really quite unnessesary considering people don't change their minds that often about whether to have the standard bookmarks menu.
Sephirot

Post by Sephirot »

emtp563 wrote:Can you please make it so it's compatible with other themes? IE- maybe you can package it with it's own icon?

It now uses the default theme icon. My PaintShop skills are pretty low :?

mimeryme wrote:Ooh, would it be possible to instead alter the behavior of the original Bookmarks button? Left-click, middle-click, and right-click, could be assigned to the following actions: menu, sidebar, and manager. (Doesn't have to be bound as such, if left as an option that would be even better.)

:-k
Don't know how, but I'll try it.

TychoQuad wrote:I like those ideas. Although could you remove the "BMB Settings" button from the top of the menu? it's really quite unnessesary considering people don't change their minds that often about whether to have the standard bookmarks menu.

I'll add an extra option for this ;)

David H

Post by David H »

Awsome! You don't know how long I've been waiting for this (well actually you do; I posted the original request 1 1/2 years ago :) ). Very nice work.

My only criticisms are the BMB menu, as mentioned above, and the drop-down arrow. I would prefer a plain icon, or maybe one with an arrow overlayed on top of it instead of to the side. As it is, the icon looks unbalanced and takes up more room than necessary on the toolbar. (I've removed the dropdown arrows from the forward and back buttons for the same reason.)

Edit: Whoops, just noticed another problem. Torisugari's Bookmarks Synchronizer adds a "synchronize bookmarks" entry to the Bookmarks menu that doesn't show up in the BMB.

Anyway, this will make bookmark management much easier for me. Thank you so much, Sephirot.
IceDogg

Post by IceDogg »

This is awesome Dude! I have been wanting to do this very thing for so long. I wanted to do full screen but still have the use of the drop down bookmarks.. this is exactly what I was wanting to do.. thanks!!
Ria

Post by Ria »

Sorry, but there is a problem with Add Bookmark Here 0.5.3

Edit: the problem does not count anymore, because the Bookmarks main folder is the default, so you don't need "Add Bookmark here" in the main folder.
Good extension, thanks! :)
TychoQuad

Post by TychoQuad »

I've discovered a problem:

If you open more than one window, only the first window will have the origional bookmarks menu gone. Subsequent menus still have it.
Sephirot

Post by Sephirot »

David H wrote:Edit: Whoops, just noticed another problem. Torisugari's Bookmarks Synchronizer adds a "synchronize bookmarks" entry to the Bookmarks menu that doesn't show up in the BMB.

I added the mneu entry via a normal XUL overlay. I'll try to get all the menu entry from the original menu dynamicly and with this I should also get the sync. bookmakrs entry. That would be the best way I suppose. If I can check if Bookmarks Synchronizer is installed (and active) I could add this entry too (as a workaround).

Ria wrote:Sorry, but there is a problem with Add Bookmark Here 0.5.3

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/tamarix/abhere.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/tamarix/bookmarks.jpg

Edit: the problem does not count anymore, because the Bookmarks main folder is the default, so you don't need "Add Bookmark here" in the main folder.
Good extension, thanks! :)

fine :)
I think this entry is redundant with this toolbarbutton, because you can easy darg&drop it over or simply use ctrl+d.

TychoQuad wrote:I've discovered a problem:

If you open more than one window, only the first window will have the origional bookmarks menu gone. Subsequent menus still have it.

Eachtime a window opens my extension checks , if the menu should be hidden or not and does it if necessary. You can test it, if you change the settings and than open a new window instead of restarting the browser unlike the message tolds you.

Which Firefox version do you use?

David H

Post by David H »

I've got another problem here. When I try to right-click on a bookmark, I get nothing but an empty field. Clicking away again makes the BMB unresponsive, with the icon stuck in the 'pressed' position. It seems that the menu is still active however even though it isn't displaying, because the keyboard navigation works. Pressing keys navigates me through subfolders or opens bookmarks, and the menu becomes visible again when I do.

I'm using FX1.0 on Win98 and it happens with both builds of BMB. I've ruled out conflicts with TBE, Context Menu Extensions, Menu Editor, and Toolbar Enhancements, but I have about 50 other extensions installed and I haven't checked them all yet. Has anyone else seen this problem?

Oh, and truthfully I don't like the new right click to open the bookmarks manager. First of all, I don't use the BM very much. I do most of my editing in-line. Also, right clicking on any other button opens up the toggle toolbar/menu configuration feature, which I use a lot. When I accidentally click on BMB, I get the bookmark manager right in my face, which I then have to get rid of before I can click again. I think the middle click sidebar function is very nice, however.
Ria

Post by Ria »

@ David H: you can get rid of your bookmarks manager by putting this in your userChrome.css (in the folder chrome in your profile):

menuitem[label="Manage Bookmarks..."],
menuitem[label="Manage Bookmarks..."] + menuseparator { display: none !important; }