How to disable plugin-container.exe

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
satyr

Re: How to disable plugin-container.exe

Post by satyr »

And btw. I guess you're one of those folks that use outbound filtering software firewall (at this point I won't go to details on why this is pointless/stupid), isn't it so?

'nuff said!
If you want to, please check out my site: tadej-ivan.50webs.com, and enjoy reading my computing-related discoveries, hints, principles, and rules.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

For all of you blaming plugin-container.exe on your crashes... did you happen to notice that your Flash also upgraded to a new version at around the same time as Firefox? Flash 10.1 is a totally new architecture according to Adobe. If they built the new architecture but didn't test it against the new version of Firefox (which anyone is free to test) ... who's fault is that?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
satyr

Post by satyr »

satyr wrote:And what other are all the programs that use use when you browse the web (e.g. e-mail client, browsers, instant messaging programs etc.) than EXECUTABLES DEMANDING INTERNET ACCESS?

Oh sorry and I totally forgot to add: not to mention all the Windows processes "demanding" access (for which you might even not know that they do). :cry:

And to repeat once again (as mentioned earlier): the move to use a "container" for the plugins (i.e. separate process) provides benefit since that isolates plugins from the main firefox.exe process (so that if one of the plugins crashes the whole browser does not) as you can read on this support page.

/EDIT: And btw., you don't know for any process/program what exact information it's sending, but you do trust them anyway!

satyr
Last edited by satyr on July 12th, 2010, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to, please check out my site: tadej-ivan.50webs.com, and enjoy reading my computing-related discoveries, hints, principles, and rules.
satyr

Post by satyr »

Guest wrote:Ok, I run 4 separate Firefox profiles, but there is only one plugin-container.exe... does it hold ALL the plugins for all browsers? How does it save plugins running in other 3 when it crashes on one? Is this really necessary? I agree with foxfrog... I don't need more processes to run the same number of programs... I was actually quite happy with last version of firefox, til it auto-updated me to this crash bug.

Well, in my case each process/profile starts its own "plugin-container.exe" process, however I use Firefox (and Thunderbird) with "MOZ_NO_REMOTE" user environment variable so that each profile/instance runs in its own dedicated process; if you want to see the "Firefox's management of processes and threads" thread that I've opened on this forum back then.

Post by Guest »

I never had a problem with running any kind of video until this new update. Now I can not watch any video that uses on FF without it either crashing, freezing,hiccuping, or echoing. I also noticed on the task manager when running video the CPU usage of the plugin-container.exe can be up to 80+% then I look at the mem usage and notice that it uses more memory (121k)than any other program, even more than FF and I am only running just 1 tab.
patrickjdempsey

Guest, please take the time to read this thread or the 5 others on the same topic here. You should find that all of your concerns are addressed over and over and over.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Bergenthe

Post by Bergenthe »

I am agree with Foxfrog and others guys. One .exe is enough. Encapsulation and testing is the success of a good application. Interfacing is done by a standard way.

I waste 3 weeks because I would never suspect firefox doing this crap... it hit you when the flash application started and you begin to ask you a lot of a question.

What's wrong with my system (doing updates, verify ISP, drivers)
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Look at the first page of this thread. It tells you how to turn it off.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Andym4n

Post by Andym4n »

There certainly seems to be some sort of problem with plugin-container.exe. Two different computers running XP sporadically spiked to 100% CPU usage with plugin-container.exe enabled - one of which has a quad-core with 4GB of RAM and tons of free hdd space... no way that should happen just surfing the 'net. I disabled it on both computers and presto! No more 100% spikes (and yes, doing the same activities on the same sites, for comparison), and Firefox by itself is using roughly half the memory it was using in combination with plugin-container.exe.

If I was to hazard a guess, I would guess that the latest Adobe Flash update isn't playing nice with plugin-container.exe. Just a theory... the timing of this problem seems a little too coincidental with the latest Adobe update for my liking.

Anyway, hope this helps someone else. Thanks for the info on how to disable it!
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Indeed. Flash 10.1 is known to be problematic. Have you tried disabling Flash hardware acceleration?

LoudNoise wrote:1) Start a flash movie
2) Right click on the video
3) Click on the tab that shows the monitor with the eye in it.
4) Uncheck Hardware acceleration

And yes, the back-port of OOPP to Firefox 3.6.x did seem kind of rushed. IMHO it works much better on the development builds.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
patrickjdempsey

The next update 3.6.7 will address some issues with OOPP:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases/Firefox_3.6.7
agemo

Post by agemo »

patrickjdempsey wrote:For all of you blaming plugin-container.exe on your crashes... did you happen to notice that your Flash also upgraded to a new version at around the same time as Firefox? Flash 10.1 is a totally new architecture according to Adobe. If they built the new architecture but didn't test it against the new version of Firefox (which anyone is free to test) ... who's fault is that?

The new flash has its own basket of issues, as all new software seems to have (lets fix what isn't broken.)

But explain this to me, most flash videos like youtube worked fine, but certain sites, like tgwtg would have the video just freeze after the FF upgrade, with the sound continuing for up to a minute before the video caught up; FF would pop up a "script is not working" window before, until i disabled it. I disabled the plugin container, and it reduced this video freeze to about 15 secounds at most... then, for shits and giggles, i tried it in chrome, and got no freeze at all. (albeit chromes flash fps performance is lower in general than FF). Now, everyone claims that chrome and FF use the same plug-in, so you explain to me whats going on? Why would chrome not have this issue at all, and FF would, and why would disabling the plugin lessen the issue, when its an issue with flash itself, and both use the same plugin?

And as a side note, isn't the plugin supposed to help when it comes to flash crashing, not the other way around? Resources aside, flash never actually crashed before, and now it does about 1 out of 9 times. So the fix to help flash crashing not crash the browser causes flash to crash more?

As said before, i am well aware of the issues with the new flash; But when Chrome, using "allegedly" the same plugin is far more stable, and disabling the plugin container seems to lessen the issues with certain sites, how can you blame that on flash itself?

I am about to cave and just go back to IE; FF is doing a netscape; Works fine, lets "fix" something and cause more problems for alot of people. Flash might have had sever issues before because of adobes updates, but it never all out crashed untill this new update. Its a double sided sword of bullshit from both sides, breaking what used to work just fine.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

You have a different problem. Try this:
1) Start a flash movie
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
agemo

Post by agemo »

LoudNoise wrote:You have a different problem. Try this:
1) Start a flash movie

Did you even bother to read the post?

chrome time
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Why would chrome not have this issue at all, and FF would, and why would disabling the plugin lessen the issue, when its an issue with flash itself, and both use the same plugin?

1. Both Firefox and Chrome do have out of process plugins
2. They only share the IPC (inter process communication) code. The rest of the implementation is different.
3. Yes, there's probably bugs in Firefox's implementation. It was kind of a rush job copying the feature from 4.0 (development) to 3.6.

For the record, Firefox 3.6.7 is supposed to help/fix some issues. It should be released any time now. See if that helps. Otherwise, just disable it.

chrome time

Ok, goodbye.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...