Firefox Becomes Unresponsive

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
User0909090

Firefox Becomes Unresponsive

Post by User0909090 »

So I'm having issues with Firefox lately and I've no idea what could be the matter. Essentially Firefox will simply become unresponsive and stop loading pages after some time of usage, and that time always varies, could be three days, could be three hours. The only way I can get it to start working again is to restart, but when I do, my computer fails to start up normally and I have to restart from a restore point. I've done multiple virus scans and have come up with nothing, so I'm wondering if anyone else knows what might be the matter and how I can fix it.

If it matters, I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium.
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Firefox Becomes Unresponsive

Post by malliz »

Two things I would look at a HD problem or perhaps a bad RAM chip. Plus what programs did you scan your computer with?
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
User0909090

Post by User0909090 »

Basically just used Avast and SystemCare.

The problem only seems so happen with Firefox, other browsers are unaffected, but Firefox really is my browser of choice and I'd like to know what I might be able to do as I'm not exactly the most tech savy user out there.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Doesn't really sound like a Firefox problem to me. Firefox may be a trigger but something else is going on with your computer.

Try
Malwarebytes free version
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Just in case
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
User0909090

Post by User0909090 »

Thanks for the help. It found something called Riskware.Tool.CK that I've gone ahead and removed. I've no idea if that'll fix the issue or not, but I'm hoping it will or else I'll need to have this computer looked at.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

That file is probably not your problem but what it represents may have dropped other stuff on your system. My advice is to stay away from cracking programs :(
"Terry Pratchett"
Ben in Trinidad

Post by Ben in Trinidad »

I have the exact same problem. Ran many different anti-ware programs. Found nothing. Computer on the other hand is working very fast, like new. Only freezes up when using Firefox, I even uninstalled the unnecessary add ons. Uninstalled Flash player and then updated it like you home support page suggested. However I have only noticed the problem so far, when I am on Facebook. That can be because I do spend a lot of time there. Always log onto facebook when I am online. .
What did you mean by an HD problem? My ram seems to be fine. Will look for any & all driver updates in the mean time. (although I pretty sure they are up to date)
Will get back to you if I find a solution and even if I can't, will be interesting to know if other people are having the same problems and come up with a solution.