What ARE settings in "Use System Proxy Settings" ?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
phkhgh

What ARE settings in "Use System Proxy Settings" ?

Post by phkhgh »

Read the default proxy setting changed starting w/ FX 3.4 ? from "No Proxy" to "User System Proxy Settings."
Apparently because of https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 3#comments

Read the bug report comments, but

1) how can you find out what the "System Settings" are for given OS (assume that's meaning of "system")?

2) And make sure the "System Settings" are actually correct - if have connection problems using this new default setting? FX UI doesn't show what they are.

I use Vista x64 SP2 & x32 on another machine. For purposes of sometimes using Tor (or another proxy), I'm curious what my default system proxy settings are. Thanks.
gordons gecko

Re: What ARE settings in "Use System Proxy Settings" ?

Post by gordons gecko »

On my computer (Windows) the "System Settings" are those accessed from Internet Explorer.
phkhgh

Post by phkhgh »

gg, does it show you the system settings in your IE or elsewhere (proxy name / port #)? Mine doesn't, nor in Vista Network & Sharing Ctr, that I can find.

Maybe because I have ADSL & my address changes each modem / router restart. But, I'd expect it'd show the proxy name & port # somewhere, as those don't necessarily change (maybe never). I can see the port #s my FW shows currently used.

? Maybe if you don't normally use a proxy, the "system proxy settings" FX automatically detects are your modem / router connection info? May be a moot point here.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I just set it back to "no proxy" (for Tbird - I actually use a local proxy for Firefox). I set my proxy settings for Mozilla applications in a user.js file so that they will not get arbitrarily changed.
kindofabuzz

Post by kindofabuzz »

In Gnome, it's all under the network manager.
Collapse unwanted MozillaZine forum sections ** Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
wm4bama

Post by wm4bama »

In a Windows system just open your control panel, then double-click "Internet Options" and in that panel select "Connections", then "LAN Settings". These are the settings used by Internet Explorer and other software. Firefox will also use it if the option "Use System Settings" is selected.

If you use dial-up then go through those options..
East Central Alabama, Wildblue Satellite ISP, Linksys WRT54G2 router, Dell Desktop XP-Home-SP3, Dell Laptop Vista-Home-SP2, Run IE8 and Firefox browsers.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

What is the matter with using Firefox's own connection settings? They work.