[Ext] Update Notifier 0.1.5.5 - Get Extension/Theme updates

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
qwerty017

Re: [Ext] Update Notifier 0.1.5.5 - Get Extension/Theme updates

Post by qwerty017 »

keithy397 wrote:
qwerty017 wrote:Of course nothing is ever that easy usually. lol

Actually, it is! You can 'bump' the extension to make it work.

This involves modifying the extension itself. You have to change one value to allow your extension to install.

- Download the extension to your PC (You should end up with an *.xpi file)
- Open the downloaded *.xpi with any archiver (Winzip, Winrar, 7-Zip)
- Look for the file called install.rdf
- Open (EDit) it with a plain text editor (Notepad) (DO NOT use word, wordpad, etc)
- find the line that looks like <em:maxVersion>*</em:maxVersion> (Where * is a version number)
- change the version number to the version of your updated Mozilla Firefox (or higher, ie 3.8)
- Now save the install.rdf and update the archive (DO NOT use any form of compression)
- You have now "bumped" the extension and it will now install and probably work again although there's no guarantees as Minefield is currently breaking anything that goes near it!

I've been using this method for a long time and Update Notifier has been working for me in Minefield for all that time. I'll check my Minefield set-up after today's nightly and if there are any problems with bumping Update Notifier I'll report back.

It is installed fine as I have the about:config setting set to not check for compatibility. The problem is that other than being able to open the new Addons Manager, it does not work. Not that big of a deal to be honest and I will gladly wait for a fix as I love this addon. Makes my life so much easier.
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

The latest versions of Minefield have broke most of my extensions, Update Notifier being one of them.

Time to rebuild profiles from scratch.

I love nightlies!

Weird thing, I've found if the add-on's manager won't open from a shortcut or the Tools menu, it will if you insert the following into the url bar.

chrome://mozapps/content/extensions/extensions.xul
Cheers,
Keith
qwerty017

Post by qwerty017 »

keithy397 wrote:The latest versions of Minefield have broke most of my extensions, Update Notifier being one of them.

I love nightlies!

Weird thing, I've found if the add-on's manager won't open from a shortcut or the Tools menu, it will if you insert the following into the url bar.

Weird. It opens just fine if I click the Update Notifier button then "Add-ons...".
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

qwerty017 wrote:
keithy397 wrote:The latest versions of Minefield have broke most of my extensions, Update Notifier being one of them.

I love nightlies!

Weird. It opens just fine if I click the Update Notifier button then "Add-ons...".

It doesn't for me, but that could be due to a mix of corrupted extensions.

I'll wait until the 'new' Minefield 4.0 appears and the major UI changes completed before I start again with a new profile.
Cheers,
Keith
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

keithy397 wrote:Weird thing, I've found if the add-on's manager won't open from a shortcut or the Tools menu, it will if you insert the following into the url bar.

The new way to open the addon manager is to type the following into the url bar:

about:addons

Phil
keithy397

Post by keithy397 »

Yeah, I noticed that the other day Phil.
Cheers,
Keith
bgillis

Post by bgillis »

Would you please update your extension for Thunderbird 3.1 ? Thanks a lot :wink:
gmhyman

Post by gmhyman »

This extension works fine on 3.1 (and laikai newer versions) when you use the "version bump" described above by qwerty107
mercian

Re: [Ext] Update Notifier 0.1.5.5 - Get Extension/Theme upda

Post by mercian »

Done the version 'bump' for both Firefox and T'bird. Installs & works ok with FF but keeps telling me to restart T'bird and never installs. Any thoughts, anyone?
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy mercian,

i use mrtech's toolkit to override the version check. UN works fine that way for me. lookee ...
MR Tech Toolkit

take care,
lee
mercian

Post by mercian »

Lee_Dailey wrote:howdy mercian,

i use mrtech's toolkit to override the version check. UN works fine that way for me. lookee ...
MR Tech Toolkit

take care,
lee

That's fine, Lee - but T'ird is saying toolkit is not compatible with v3.1.1 ](*,)

Later : gone back to T'bird 3.1 and successfully installed toolkit, disabled version check and then successfully reinstalled Update Notifier. I'll stick with T'bird 3.1 for the time being, looks like something is happening in v3.1.1 that's affecting old version addons?
Fry-kun

Post by Fry-kun »

I have Update Notifier 0.1.5.5 installed in Fx 3.6.7 and Tb 3.1 (latter forced with Nightly Tester Tools)
In both built-in update checks are disabled (Preferences/Advanced/Update) to speed up startup time.
I expect Update Notifier to check every N hours (tried different settings), but it never seems to do anything - I don't get any notifications about new addon versions.

Is that expected behavior?
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

mercian wrote:
Lee_Dailey wrote:howdy mercian,

MR Tech Toolkit

take care,
lee

That's fine, Lee - but T'ird is saying toolkit is not compatible with v3.1.1 ](*,)

Later : gone back to T'bird 3.1 and successfully installed toolkit, disabled version check and then successfully reinstalled Update Notifier. I'll stick with T'bird 3.1 for the time being, looks like something is happening in v3.1.1 that's affecting old version addons?

howdy mercian,

i'm running mrtech toolkit v-6.0.4 on tbird v-3.1.1 and it's all working fine for me. dunno why ... [*grin*]

i've several addons that are being version-forced by mttk and are working fine. a few faves [like buttons!, for example] had to go since they really ARE incompat with tb3.x but the rest are working well for now. i don't think there's anything in tb311 that's getting in the way of addons that worked in tb310. at least not that i know of ...

take care,
lee
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

Fry-kun wrote:I have Update Notifier 0.1.5.5 installed in Fx 3.6.7 and Tb 3.1 (latter forced with Nightly Tester Tools)
In both built-in update checks are disabled (Preferences/Advanced/Update) to speed up startup time.
I expect Update Notifier to check every N hours (tried different settings), but it never seems to do anything - I don't get any notifications about new addon versions.

Is that expected behavior?

howdy Fry-kun,

you might want to put the icon on your tbird toolbar and then checkmark ...
- toolbar/display/display-icon-when-no-updates-are-available

that way you have the icon showing all the time and it will change color when it detects an available update. i also have startup checks turned OFF so the 24-hour check is what i use and it works for me.

take care,
lee
Fry-kun

Post by Fry-kun »

You're right, I didn't have it added to tbird
If that preference makes it work then it's a bug -- it's supposed to hide it when there are no updates, and show it when some are available. It worked flawlessly in previous versions (before I upgraded to Fx 3.x, I think)