How to open link in new tab next to homepage on startup?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
KatPeople

How to open link in new tab next to homepage on startup?

Post by KatPeople »

Hello everybody!

I'm new to this forum, but I'm a long-time Firefox user. I have a silly question born from my testing another browser (Opera) on a friend's Mac: is it possible to force Firefox into opening a link (for example when clicking on a link in Thunderbird) in a new tab alongside my homepage on startup, instead of overwriting it? I've found that "feature" to be helpful, since I like to have my homepage (that's Yahoo! News, for those who want to know) opened at all times (I'm a news junkie, what can I say?), but I can't find a way to make it work in Firefox; I've tried to add a pipe sign before, after, and both before and after my homepage URL, and sure enough, I see new tabs flicker briefly in the tab bar, but they disappear right away, and the link I've clicked on in Thunderbird opens in the only tab Firefox displays, in effect overwriting my homepage... I'd really like to make it work. How hard is it? I have Tab Mix Plus installed, but I can't find a way to make it open links in a new tab next to my homepage when Firefox is triggered into startup by clicking on a link in Thunderbird; when Firefox is already running, of course, there's no problem at all...

I hope I'm clear enough in my explanations. Any questions, just holler!
KatPeople

Re: How to open link in new tab next to homepage on startup?

Post by KatPeople »

Mmmm... Up...? :roll:
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

KatPeople wrote:I have Tab Mix Plus installed, but I can't find a way to make it open links in a new tab next to my homepage when Firefox is triggered into startup by clicking on a link in Thunderbird; when Firefox is already running, of course, there's no problem at all...

Have you asked in the Tab Mix Plus forums yet?
http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/
KatPeople

Post by KatPeople »

You're right of course! Silly me... I'm going to try there, but I have a question: if I were to create a new entry in the "about:config" menu, what would it have to look like to achieve what I'm trying to do?
Alan Baxter

Post by Alan Baxter »

I don't know. It may not be that simple.